3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vitamin C  (Read 502 times)

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
Vitamin C
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
I thought I would pass along something I learned a long time ago. I had heard that weight lifters used vitamin c to help with muscle soreness and to help rebuild after a workout. I also read in a Outdoor life where a bear hunter with dogs did a test. He ran one group of dogs with regular food and one group with food laced with vitamin c. The short story, after the third day the dogs on the regular diet were tired and weren't all that excited to participate in the chase. The others were raring to go. So, I started playing around with it. I was always going in the mountains and carrying heavy packs. Especially when hunting. So I started using Vitamin C. I found that if I took enough I wasn't stiff the next day no matter how hard I worked. I was tired but not stiff. So now when I load up the pack I take 1500 to 2500 mg. of Vitamin C. After about two to three hours I do it again. I keep doing this during that day and then when I go to bed I take it again. It has worked wonders for me. The reason you have to keep taking it all day is that if you are drinking enough water then your body will regularly expel it. In my pack I carry Ibuprofen and Vitamin C.

P.S. I'm fifty-five and it worked a little better when I was younger. But so did every thing else. Gary

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vitamin C
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
Vit-C does good things for you short term but
long term, high dosage is harmfull. Kidneys or liver, I don't remember. Maybe on of the Docs could enlighten us.
Prarrie Dog

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Your body will take what it needs and you will urinate the rest out.Try some b-complex
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I recall reading about some testing that was done some years ago that showed a body will assimilate about 100mg of vitamin C an hour at best, anymore than that and you will pi$$ it away. Too much of anything can have drawbacks. When I have to do extreme exercsion I use Endurox R4 recovery drink which quite frankly is remarable at restoring my energy levels and aleviating soreness....this at 62.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Amen on the R4. Stuff really works.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
If you think it works then it probably does.  I take "C" everyday cause my wife wants me too.  Personally I think an orange and a couple of beers will do just as good  :biglaugh: ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Van if I eat two oranges do I drink four beers to keep the balance in my system correct?  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 01:10:00 AM »
I haven't heard the Vitamin C thing before.  I know Vitamin I (Ibuprofen)can help.  What I found makes a tremendous difference after a full day of humping canyons in northwest Nebraska is after dinner, before you go to bed, drink about 8 ounces of milk with a scoop of whey powder.  You want to end up at about 30 to 40 grams of protein between the milk and powder.  You won't believe how much better your legs feel in the morning.  I learned this tip from an elk hunter in Colorado.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 03:56:00 AM »
Probably just placebo. There is really nothing you can do to get rid of DOMS (Delayed Onsett Muscle Soreness), after a hard day. I'm not saying this to be pessimistic, it's pretty much just a fact. To understand why your muscles are sore, there's one thing you gotta know...

DOMS = torn microfibres. Torn microfibres heal within 24-48 hours, approx. The only way to heal microtears faster (note the word 'faster', not completely), is through proper nutrition (like a scoop of whey mixed with water or milk, taken before bed time) and by restitutional activities, like...

1. A light massage (deep tissue massage will actually make the DOMS worse), followed by a cold bath
2. A hot bath, followed by a cold bath
3. Sauna, followed by a cold bath

Depending on your muscular conditioning, you will STILL have DOMS in the morning, as microfibres don't just heal over night. But(!), you'll rid yourself of the lactic acid you've built up in your muscles. The lactic acid is the real sinner here (note that built-up lactic acid and DOMS have no connection to each other, what so ever). So, you while you will still be sore no matter what, your muscles will definetely not feel just as tired and "used", as it would otherwise be the case. Try it!
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 05:10:00 AM »
Hmmmm!! Food for thought. My memory might be bad but I remember food...or at least I think I do. I must have cause I don't feel hungry or maybe I just filled up on all the thinking.

I am so confused!!

Take Vitamin C, don't take Vitamin C! Coffee is good for you, wait coffee is bad for you.
Oh yeah and eat chocolate too but just the dark chocolate and don't eat the yellow something, what was it?
Oh,Oh,oh now I remember it was the snow.

Why on earth would anyone think of eating snow in the summertime?

Man! All this thinking is going to make my brain sore, I'd better go eat something...??

naw! But a good cup of "joe" just might be nice, if it doesn't kill me...lol

Would someone please come to my rescue and tell me what I can and can't eat and drink safely.

All I can remember right now is Doctor Van telling me to take two beers with and orange.

Van, am I suppose to call you in the morning too?

If not, please tell me who to call.....

Everyone have a wonderful and a blessed day!
R L "Mudd" Williams
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 05:59:00 AM »
I take it every day and have for the last 25 years.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline carbonarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Eat real food from citrus to green chilie's
MT 11:28
Come to me all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Vitamin C   can  releive the soreness and stiffness  but does not actually  heal ( as menitoned above)   It  will REPLACE  the lactic acid  with the citrus acid and that aleveates  some of the sitffness.
  Vitamin C will ony be absorbed to a certain extent and then excess will be elinimated in the urine SO taking mega doses at a few times a day is counter productive.      100 MGs an hour is far more productive PLENTY of water is a must for sore ness too .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
I take a Flintstone vitamin everyday.

They make your Bedrock!  :saywhat:
Joey Ward

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I have some vitamin C in a screw driver sometimes but to much will make your brain sore.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
For those who do not like taken vitamin c,a green bell pepper has more vitamin c than an orange.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
What MUDD said.........   :clapper:   Do I put the oranges in the Beer?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I stand by my original post. For those with training in nutrition or who have tried it I welcome your opinions. Smart remarks are not appreciated. Gary

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Gary, I'm not a 100% sure who you're referring to, but - with all due respect - my post was not a smart remark, it was a factual remark.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
I have 2 words for you. Homo Diet, as in
{homo sapien} google homo diet or homo optimus, open your mind. I am no olympian, but I can run 3 mi in 95deg heat in the sun with no water on me no problem. Don't "nock" it till you try it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©