3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Remember that buddy I suckered into trad archery?-Bowfishing:)  (Read 259 times)

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
Alright so some of you guys should remember I got another buddy of mine into traditional archery last month.  This makes three for me(I'm on a roll  :)  ).  So He has been shooting his dads old Pearson 35# recurve.  He is a tall guy like me so I figured with the extra draw he is flingin arras at about 42ish pounds.  My first bow weight was 40#'s, and I killed a whitetail with that bow, so I figured he should surely be able to get some carp with his.  

I talked him into it easy, he ordered a aluminum reel seat, a carbon fish arrow with the muzzy fish tip, and the traditional gadget adapter.  It came this week from 3rivers, and we were set.  Yesterday afternoon Derrick and I were shooting, and it was warm so I suggested we head a mile down the road to another buddies house(Micky), who owns property on the creekside!  So we went at them.  I gave Micky a call and let him know we were coming, he was game and said he would meet us there in about 20 mins.  

So we got there and I showed him my spot, right away when I was explaining the set up one came out from under the log jam.  It was something like . . ."normally they do laps, you can see em' out in the middle of the creek going upstream and then the come back down the stream right off the bank, like that one".  Of course this was my first shot of the season and it was a wonderful miss right over the fishes back.  But no worries.  

So after about 9-10 more misses I hear Derrick say there are three coming.  We were standing about 20 yards apart and would call each other when fish would come.  So I walked up there.  I stood 6 yards from him to let him get a shot off first.  I figured I would have a better chance at the follow-up than he.

So this big ole guys is coming right for us, He is only about 10 yards out and about a foot down.  So Derrick draws back and nails him!!!

The shot was right behind the head on the gill plate.  And for those of you that are not familiar with carp that is not really a good shot, the gill plate is hard as a rock.  The fish takes off with the arrow in him, first time I have ever seen one strip drag like that.  It was like it was hooked instead of shot.  It was pretty cool.  He ran down into some brush.  Derrick got into the creek, and tried to retrieve his trophy.  BUT the darn thing got the arrow loose.

So we were pumped full of adrenaline and then drained, bumbed.  I mean we only use them for fertilizer, but we still like to dispatch them humanely.  

About 20 mins later we see Micky hop in the creek about 70 yards away, I let out a yell to let him know where we were, but he threw down his rod and started back from where he came.  I then see him chasing something down the creek.  About 5 mins later I hear him yell . . ."did one of you guys shoot my fish!!!", lol.  

Me and Derrick perked up and sprinted down the bank to see what he had.  Lord behold there was Micky with Derricks fish, lol.  Talk about luck!

Alright so I wrote alot I know, here are some pics!!!

~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Remember that buddy I suckered into trad archery?-Bowfishing:)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  That sounds like you guys had a pretty cool adventure!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
Sometimes it's just plain better to be lucky than good!..lol

Congratulations on the 1st of many more to come.

Not to worry it's just a part of the addiction..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Sounds cool, gotta LOVE bowfishin.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Great Story.   :clapper:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 03:34:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  Cool !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©