3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Kodiak Magnum question  (Read 325 times)

Offline darb

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Kodiak Magnum question
« on: July 02, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
Wondered if all you Bear experts could tell me what poundages this bow was made available in.  I am wanting to pick up a green 70's era and have seen many on the bay. I didnt know if they were only available in 45,50,55#.  

Would love one in the 48-52# range, but didn't know if that was possible other than getting a 50#. Also wondered if there is much finger pinch on these shorter bows?

If anyone is interested in selling one pm me.

Thanks -Darb

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Kodiak Magnum question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
The KMag where available up to 70# and maybe more on special order.The poundage you are looking for is one of the most common,sometime they had also mid range values like 48# etc.
I draw 29" and I don't notice any finger pinch,but I am used to short bows.For me they are very fine shooters,accurate and enough fast.
For sure a great buy for the money.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline darb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
cacciatore- properly braced and shooting the right arrow do you find it to have a lot of hand shock?

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
My #65 KMag just went to a new home but I never had any issue with hand shock. It was a great shooter. No finger pinch issues either. But that may be in part due to a somewhat short draw.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
I never notice finger pinch with a short trad bow. A short trad bow is usually much longer than a "long" compound.  I shot compounds for years without a mechanical release and they are and were considered "long" axle to axle compounds at 44 to 48 inches.
I have a newer K-mag (2006 model), I like the bow, never noticed hand shock, I don't use it much because I love longbows, but not because of finger pinch issues, just a great nostalgic little bow.
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
I should have mentioned my draw length as a disclaimer - I draw 27.5 inches.
Finger pinch may be an issue to those who draw longer.
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 03:19:00 AM »
darb,no noticeble hand shock,i tell you more:I use a skinny string with padded loops and it smokes a arrow.Actuelly I have 12 KMag!!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
You have to realize,during the era where Bear marked bows 45,50,55,that is not necessarily the actual weight.A bow marked 50# during those years,could be 48#,49#,50#,51# or 52#.You don't know the actual weight until you weigh it youself.During the years that bows were marked 51# or other odd numbers,that was the actual weight of the bow.

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
If they were off of the intended bow weight, Bear would mark them with an X. Like a 45X might be 46 pounds. I had one that had was marked 45XX that was 48 lbs. Under the strike plate would have the actual scale reading of the bow when new. They had it down to a science and rarely missed weight on a bow by more than a couple pounds.
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
In the early days the exact bow weight was noted. Later they just worked a range with the 'X' as noted above.

All in line with the general quality and purity going down hill in the Bear company as noted in an earlier rant.

We seem to have come to the time in our society when companies love the money and new technology more than they love the sport and the artistry.

I believe that is why so many are going to the custom shops and the folks who really love traditional archery.

There is just not much out there in the commercial world, and I am worried about getting quality parts in the future.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©