3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nothing is more traditional than this-Bowfishing with a Shakespeare!  (Read 153 times)

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
Alright so I posted yesterday about my buddies first bowfishing harvest.  Well I am here to tell ya about mine today!  I have had some success bowfishing before this year, but today was only my second time out this season.  On Wednesday I had some close misses with my 55# greatree deer master take down.

Yesterday we were shooting some clay birds with 12 gauges, and I was the designated thrower, so it feels like a mack truck kicked me in my triceps.  And my right arm is sore all the way down my lats and shoulders.  So needless to say when I tried to draw back my 55# bow it was a little painful, so I decided that wouldnt do.  I figured now was a good opportunity to take out my shakespeare X-21.  After all it is a "virgin".  And not just as long as I've owned it, for its entire life it has killed nothing but targets.

So get down there, Derrick and Micky are out in the middle of the creek wading and fishing for smallies.  And I am on the opposite bank giving the shakespeare a shot.  Needless to say the first few shots were misses so they didn't hesitate to dog me a bit, lol.  Finally on my 4th shot I connected . . . right on the gill plate!!!  He was on until he dove into some submerged tree limbs.  And the arrow pulled out.  So I was not only bumbed I was pissed.  That wouldn't have happened with my 55# bow.

After that disappointment a couple of smaller guys cruised by and teased me, until finally a decent one came buy and swam less than 5 yards from my feet and only about a foot down.  I nailed him right in the soft part of his back, and I knew that this arrow was NOT coming out.  I don't know what the deal is this year, but the fish are actually fighting vs last year when they were kinda stunned?

After two years of owning my Shakespeare I finally christened it!!!  Something about bowfishing with a shakespeare recurve is awesome to me!!!  Here are the pics

~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nothing is more traditional than this-Bowfishing with a Shakespeare!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Nice fish!   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Good deal! Looks like a sweet bowfishing set-up. KHALVERSON just called and we are going to try to shoot some fish tonight. The Zipper carp rig will be ready to roll at 0Dark:30!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
:clapper:     :archer2:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
Looks like lots of fun!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
I too use a Shakespeare - a 45 lb QTD with the metal handle - and the little screw in rod with a Zebco.  I had a "retriever" on it for a while but for I think the little rod and Zebco setup is far and away better.  Carpin is fun!

R

Offline Butch L

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
What a way to spend a day. Nice fish, looks like you had fun.

Butch L
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©