3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bare shaft tuning question  (Read 179 times)

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
bare shaft tuning question
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
my howatt hunter will shoot a bare shaft in the same tight group from 0-30 yards.  the bare shaft (with efoc) appears to be "kicking" off the shelf giving me a high nock indication with the nock coming off the bow to the left (rh shooter) but still finds its mark.  ive tried everything i know how to get the bare shaft to fly true out of the bow with negative results.  my question is to be bare shaft tuned properly, does the bare shaft have to just group with the fletched shafts at all distances regardless of how it flies or does that bare shaft have to fly perfect with no fletchings and goup the same?  thanks in advance.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bare shaft tuning question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
Rut,  I'd say you're close enough to move on to broadhead tuning.  I prefer my bareshaft to be a tad low just because in my experience if my bareshafts are a hair (2" or so) low then my broadheads group perfect with my field points.  Strap on a couple broadheads and shoot a couple groups at 25 - 30yds and then you'll see what you need to do.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Chris Sims

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
Sounds like you have a weak spiked arrow.  Cut the shaft in small increments until you get good flight.  You also could shoot a bit lighter points.  

All that said I like to have bare shafts shooting like darts.  If they shoot straight then fletched should be fine.

Also it should be pointed out that fletching will slightly alter dynamic spine.  If you are slightly weak then you will be fine.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
Grouping is the goal. Lots of things can effect the flight of the bare shaft besides nock point and spine - nock tightness and release being 2 of them. Time to compare broadhead POI to feildpoint.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by RUTANDSTRUT:
  my question is to be bare shaft tuned properly, does the bare shaft have to just group with the fletched shafts at all distances regardless of how it flies or does that bare shaft have to fly perfect with no fletchings and goup the same?  thanks in advance.
Yes, it just has to group with the fletched shafts, regardless of how gracefull it gets there.
Also, I have found with efoc arrows that I usually get a nock high flight of the the bareshafts, it's because there is so much weight up front. it's ok. just don't drop your nock point down so much that the shaft is going to hit the shelf and bounce off giving you a false nock high. this is why I like the planing method of shooting bare shafts with fletched shafts to see where they are grouping. Now your ready to shoot bhs with field points and see if they all group together.   :archer2:

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
As long as your bare shafts group amongst your fletched arrows, you're in good shape. I wouldn't sweat it that your bare shafts don't fly perfect. Heck, if bare shafts were that easy to get perfect flight, we wouldn't need feathers on them and Tru-Flite would be out of business.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
I would try raising the nock point abit before anything else. If its right, it will fly true. Mark

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Yes you want the bare shaft to fly true and hit with the fletched.  Identifying the problem can be tuff.  Poor release, tight nock,  nock height ect..  I  always start by working towards a perfect release.  If your bare shafts are hitting with the fletched, then the problem should be in release or nock tightness or brace height, something other than arrow spine and nock height.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
thanks for evryone's help.  i ended up increasing the brace height 3/8", raised nocking point 1/16" along with bumping the rest up an additional 1/16", and lowered point weight 25 grains - bare shaft arrows fly perfect to 40 yards right with fletched shafts.  now im happy!

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©