3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching color Question  (Read 539 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching color Question
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
I know there is a thread going right now about fletching colors, but I wanted to ask a question about it so it wouldn't get burried in the thread and not seen.

I really like all the superb color combonations, and would looke real sweet on the range, but how about while out hunting...What are your ideas on the animals seeing your fletching let's say on a bow quiver?  I hunt from the ground, and am a little leary about such bright colors tipping off my quarry.  Just looking for some insite.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching color Question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
For hunting  the color blue is the only one I personally avoid. Read in the QDMA magazine that the color blue is one that with the way a deers eye works is one that they can "see" as that true color so by extension it would "stand out".

But, that is just my opinion and personal choice. I am certain others will have other.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
dunno for absolute sure, but it would seem that any bright solid color would be like a flag to both humans and critters.  

dunno if deer and other game can distinguish colors, either.  my best guess is that whether or not the colors are bright, the use of color patterns makes objects less likely to be seen.

all that said, fletch hoods for bow quivers, and using deep side or back quivers are perfect ways to hide bright arrow fletchings.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
We will never know for sure but at one time Flo Yellow was the most noticable color to deer (don't know who said it, I just always believed it) I use brown and dark colors usually for hunting and don't care if I loose one (I don't get to shoot much anyway).

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
Lots of Bluejays in Michigan, I shoot blue. I feel those flourescent colors vibrate, shine, glow, whatever, and are more easily noticed. Like you I don't get many shots so I take my chances with the blue.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
i use a fletching cover. Anneewakee archery makes a good one.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
I hunted with Red and White fletching for 20+ years with no problem now I use Red and Black Feathers with Red and White cresting works awesome.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline sunshine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
ALL WHITE FLETCHING. in the past i feel a couple
of my blown encounters were from my fletching. hunting from a tree stand i've had deer look up at me but they seem to have their attention locked on my fletch. i don't climb to high and they were close. i feel they were looking straight at my feet and spooked at my fletch. so i avoid all white. i think it is to much white all in one small concentrated area.
Life is short.....eat dessert first!!!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
I am team pink all the WAYYYYYY!!!!

I have never had a problem with the pink.  There are plenty of other reasons I have been blown and pink it def. not one of them.  Especially if the whole shades of grey thing is true, but regardless of fletch color, I still like to use cover, and most of the time, the cover is lower, just like the fletching in my quiver?  Hope that helps
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by sunshine:
... i think it is to much white all in one small concentrated area.
i agree - bright, solid colors are too easy to spot.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
My arrows are fletched with three, white, 5" parabolic feathers and I've never had problems like some of you are experiencing with the color of white and deer. But, this may be the reason. I don't bowhunt from a tree stand. I bowhunt from the ground.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline stickbowhafe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Doing most of my hunting out of treestands, I don't worry about my fletch color if I have a great treestand setup. Meaning I have a stand site with plenty of background and is arranged so the deer are not looking right at you when they approach, etc. We have a lot of large cedar trees where I hunt and they are awesome. I use white capped arrows with all white or maybe white barred feathers. But, if I was on the ground I would probably pick yellow, or something.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
I prefer muted colors, natural barred for hunting.  Pay attention to nock color as well.  Flourescent nocks really stand out to the human eye; I expect they do as well to critters.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
I use either all white or all yellow, because these are the colors that I see best. I want to be able to see where my arrow hits and I can see these colors best on the hit. I also like the white feathers after a pass thru to check the color of the blood. I    use a fletch cover on the arrows in my bow quiver.  Turkeys without a blind I use gray barred feathers. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
I am not a believer that color matters so much as movement. That being said bright solid colors are more easily spotted if they are moving around. I used to use white feathers and believe deer spotted them easily in my bow quiver when I was readying for the shot. I never had a problem with them being seen until I moved the bow.

I still use flo yellow because I can see them in the dusk or dawn but use a fletching cover on my bow quiver. We all know it is important to be able to view the arrow when shot at an animal to verify where it strikes. That is my reason for the bright fletch.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline d from phx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I tried many color combos but have used chartruse the last two years. very visable here in Arizona

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
One thing with blue is, it's easy for you to see because there's nothing close to it in the fall forest.
I wish someone made a bright teal colored 5.5" shield. I'd like that combo with 2 solid white hen feathers.
When I started bowhunting in the late 1970's, I killed a lot of deer wearing blue jeans. I wear full camo now, but a lone bright blue cock feather should be no cause for concern of a deer reacting to it. My opinion.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Hasn't been a problem for me over the years and I hunt from the ground using my Backquiver 85% of the time. If an animal gets that close to see what color feathers your using....he should be dead.

Seriously, I am more concerned with movement and scent control and the timing of my shot. That bright fletching will be easier to find and if you don't get a passthru, you can tell exactly what type of hit you made.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Mojostick--I never have seen a deer wearing blue jeans!  I bet that is quite a sight  :saywhat:    :D .
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Mojostick--I never have seen a deer wearing blue jeans!  I bet that is quite a sight   :saywhat:      :D  .
Good catch.  That is funny.  I'm just trying to get a new color scheme together for the next set of woodies I pick up at the GLLI.  I have chartrues and also white, but just not sure what I want to go with just yet.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©