3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching color Question  (Read 538 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching color Question
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Grapes, when you figure it out, post the colors and spine and I'll try to have a set ready to bring.  :bigsmyl:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Flo yellow has never been a problem. I do keep the fletching covered and will only have an arrow nocked in a tree or blind. Turkeys are another matter as they can spot you blinking and do see color.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
There is a bit of debate about whether critters like deer and elk can see colors, if I'm not mistaken, some new research is showing that they can see more than just shades of blue and red.  One thing to keep in mind is that there are all kinds of colors out in the woods and the deer don't freak out whenever they come across some flagging or garbage.  Being that deer and elk are prey animals, they are much more likely to react to excessive movement and most importantly, smell.  Personally, I prefer 2 white and 1 white barred for my fletching, only because I see it best while in flight.  I think that being able to see the arrow while it's on the way to the target  is more important than concealing it while in your quiver.  If you're worried the fletching will spook game, just cover them up.  That being said, I've never seen a cougar or coyote that was fluorescent green or pink!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
What about a small, bright, fur tracer behind a drab color?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I hunt with pink and white. I made a bracket for my quiver so it comes off as soon as I get to stand or blind.

Offline OVERDRAWING

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
I have almost always used yellow (38 years worth) but I don't use a bow quiver so I don't have a large patch of yellow in the line of sight of my quary (usually deer or turkeys). Only the yellow flecthing on the one arrow that would likely be headed in their direction. I have almost always used a St. Charles or Cat type quiver so my fletching stays concealed and dry (Michigan falls and springs are most generally wet).
Kevin Sorensen

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
We have a lot of fashion conscious deer in my area. LOL
The doe's like Calvin Klein jeans. LOL

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
My .02

There have been far, FAR too many deer killed wearing red flannel and blue jeans for me to put *too much* weight in the "deer see blue" thing. There may be truth to it, I'v just seen waaaay to many pics.

I love white fletch, and I partly love 4-fletch because it lets me put that much MORE white on the end of my arrow!!! lol

However, I DON'T like to put white feathers on a white crest-cap.  I prefer red or green or...(gasp!) blue!   ;)     To me, that does turn into a big ole block of white and I find the white fletch w/ dark cap are MUCH more benefit than dark fletch w/ white cap.

aannd... I love my safari tuff quiver...and that means only one arrow is out at a time.
Micah 6:8

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
My nocked arrow is all yellow fletch when I'm in a treestand. The ones in my quiver are natural barred. When I'm in a blind they are usally all yellow. Never really cared for fletch covers.
bolong

Offline arrowflinger1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
If youre like me......I try to hide myself as much as possible ie; camo and whatever else I can get an edge on as the critters are wise and weary! I use natural barred feathers as much as possible as i feel they blend in better and break up outlines...plus they look really cool! jmo but why risk it!

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
I think the muted natural barred feathers look really neat and are harder for the animals to see, but I'm in the camp that likes to see my arrow when I shoot.  I prefer chartruese or red and a white cock feather on my arrows.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Due to issues with school and football, I have to hunt during Utah's rifle hunt. That means I need to wear blaze orange. Last year on my first hunt with a bow, I managed to draw on a small 2 point wearing a blaze orange vest, orange beanie, blue jeans, and a t-shirt. That buck was no more than 15 yards away.

I'm not too worried about my fletch color...

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
After all this talk about animals seeing color, I just noticed in my avatar, I was out goose hunting with a bow and took my limit wearing blue jeans.  I was not in a blind like the rest of the gang, but kneeling down hunched over.  So I guess I answered my own question.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
Chuck Adams recommends red as the best color.
Looks medium gray in a black and white yet fairly bright to us.

He has done enough hunting for me to listen to.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 03:08:00 AM »
Floesant orange shafts and floesant yellow or chatuse/sp fletching.Movement is what will get you.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
Canadian goose or barred feathers for me
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »
I usually use yellow or orange feathers--lots of those colors in the fall woods where I hunt.   They also are visible enough to me to see where my arrow hits so I can decide better what to do next.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
I use chartruse, most visible to me, but even with a fletch cover I think deer spot even the one arrow I have nocked. They seem to "glow" at dawn and dusk. I think I'm going to switch. I want to try fur tracers. I hate to go electric, but I think lighted nocks are a good idea.
Tom

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
Orange hens and whatever is handy for cocks for me.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
Three 5 inch white or yellow feathers for me.If a critter gets close enough to be able to discern my fletching choice they will likly be a nice bubbly shade of red.

Movement is what gets you busted not color my $.02
Jeff Couture

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©