3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching color Question  (Read 537 times)

Online Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching color Question
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
For years, I have used 7" orange/yellow fade wraps with three 5" orange shields, and my son uses a 7" yellow wrap with three 4" chartruse feathers....   we have have not had a problem with those colors spooking game -- that we know of :-)
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
I use wild turkey feathers and dye te cock feather red.  This year I decided to try some splicing and added a piece of chartruse to the ends of each.  It really helps me see the arrow in flight and is not to large a block of bright color, though I will probably have to use a fletch cover on my bow quiver for turkey.

The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Exactly what Joe Skipp said!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
These are my favorite.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
I bought one of Rod Jenkins Safarituff fletch covers halfway thru this season and I think it helps.  I've long been a fan of visible arrows and really like chartreuse, but used mostly yellow to keep things toned down a bit.  With the cover on my bowquiver, I can go all bright.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
I like to see my arrow in flight, so I use white mostly. But I have been splicing for a while now. It seems to lessen the big white blob effect. These are the latest. I think for this years I will go with chartruese on the back. I like some above think movement is the key.

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Nice to see this brought back up again.  I really like the look of those Ryan.  I think I just found the next pack of feathers I'm going to get, brown barred and membrane splice some bright solid colors in them along with bright colored cresting paint.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
I am not a believer that color matters so much as movement. i like to shoot all white so that I can see them when they fly.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
All white for me. I don't shoot with my quiver attached to the bow.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
I have had deer nearly standing nose to nose with me staring me straight in the eyes.. only to walk off with a little snort and a flick of the tail. Never once looked at my fletchings. lol

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
I am convinced that whatever color you're using, movement at the wrong time will be noticed. I use all white, except in the snow and then I use green wraps with chartreuse nocks and feathers. But I do shoot with a bow quiver so I am thinking about making some individual arrow socks that you just pull off and pocket.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I shoot all white fletchings. I tried pink and never had a problem with it I just couldn't stand the way it looked on my arrows so now I use a reflective white cap wrap with 3 5" parabolic white feathers.
James Kerr

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
I've used orange and yellow parabolic for years,then I switched to sheilds in orange barred cock and grey barred hen. My standard is yellow cock and orange hens with a green flo nock and one arrow in the quiver with all yellow for late day hunts. But these days I'm using more of the red barred fletch as well.
Member NCBA

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
I like all white 5" sheild with a white wrap. I like to see'em when they fly.

Jason

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
I like others like to see my arrow when it's flying and/or in the quarry I've shot at.  I also believe that it's the movement of the bright color that catches their attention.  My solutions?  No more bow mounted quiver when hunting.  I recently went to an Elite side quiver and this covers the fletching for rainy weather and "deer sight" protection.  In addition, I have added a small 3/8 wide white reflective strip to the end of my arrow shafts near the nock end.  This allows me to find my wayward arrows especially after it gets dark!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
I don't like white fletch -- goes back to an incident with coon dogs along the Cahaba River in southern Alabama in 1975 with me wearing a hip quiver full of white-fletched arrows.

I used to like blue best because I can pick that color up better than most in the leaves. However, recent research shows that deer see blue better than we used to think.

I like shield 4" barred feathers in almost any color except blue or white. My favorite, when I can get them, are home-made from wild turkeys.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
I like white for visibility, but when I go hunting my arrows have natural barred feathers.  I worry about the white being visible but can't say I've ever been busted because of them.  The real turkey feathers boost my confidence a little because I think they blend in better.  They also seem more durable than the white domestic turkey feathers.

I really like the look of natural, but the cost is steep.  I still like plain white for all-around shooting.  Nothing like seeing the flight of the arrow.

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
My favorite fletching colors are;turkey and red barred with a ruby nock.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
This was the first year that I hunted with bright lime green fletchings instead of previously hunting with muted feather colors.  I have to be honest and say that there was no difference in being spotted by deer.  The fletchings are four 3 1/2 inch parabolics.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
Any color works for me as long as it's bright blue.  No other color is easier to find on the forrest floor in my experience.  I worry about movement, not color, being seen by a deer.  The one color I will NEVER use during hunting season is white.  Way too many morons out there in this area who will shoot at anything they think might be the hint of a deer.  Flashing white feathers in the woods during hunting season just never struck me as being a good idea; at least in Rogues Island.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©