3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips for hunting antelope  (Read 256 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Tips for hunting antelope
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Well if all goes well, I will get a left over tag for the NE corner of WY on the 6th.  I plan to hunt out of a blind near water or a fence crossing.  Any tips or tricks to make this hunt run smooth.  I plan on sleeping in the back of my truck on a blow up bed.  I have topper so I can keep out the rain and bugs.  I will be camping on the ranchers land.  Thanks.

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips for hunting antelope
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
we decoy at the right time its real fun no shortage of shooting just a shortage of hitting eatable stuff . we sleep in tents the best tip would to be drinking lots of water

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
If you have to enter or leave the blind when antelope may be in sight,the ideal way would be to have the rancher drop you off and pick you up with a 4 wheeler.This will spook antelope the least.

Have provisions in the blind to help you sit for long periods.Have a cooler with water and drink frequently.Camp in a shaded area if there is one.In a wooded creek bottom would be ideal.

Never underestimate their eyes.If you can see them with 10X binoculars,they can see you.Don't get discouraged when there are no antelope in sight.They cover a lot of ground fast.You may think there are none in the country and in minutes,they can be right on top of you.

Don't overlook a gate between two fields.if there are antelope in each field,they will switch back and forth frequently.

Don't be afraid to sit in natural brush if it is in the right spot.They seem to have difficulty picking you out of brush if you are well camoed.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
Get your blind up a couple of days early if possible to give them a chance to get used to the new structure.  The first time they see it they might be skitish.  Stick with it, and they will come in eventually.
For the fence crossings/gates, antelope can definately be patterned, and will use the same crossings regularly.  Patience is you friend!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
I plan on getting out there two days before season starts.  So if it starts on the 15th, getting there the night of the 12th and scouting and setting up blinds the 13th and relaxing the 14th while watching animals from a distance.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
You might put some distance markers out around your blind so know exactly how far the 'lope's are.  It can be really hard to judge distance accurately out on the prairie.   A range finder would work too.  Sounds like a fun hunt!

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
I hunted antelope for the first time last year, in Montana.  Be sure you pack a book and an Ipod or other items to keep you busy during long hours in the blind.  You'll most likely have hours and hours of no action, then suddenly a few moments of excitement.  So be ready to fight the boredom.

I would start researching how to judge horns on antelope, if you're hoping for a book animal.  I know it's not important to many of us, but you might want to know just in case.

Have a plan for the meat.  Know where the nearest meat locker and such is.

Know your game laws.  For example, Montana had a minimum arrow weight.

Hope that helps.  Can't think of much else right now.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Any windmills on the property? Drink lots of water . Stay put and don't shoot the first one you have in , take your time and look the goats over . Fun hunt !

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
Get your blind up a couple of days early if possible to give them a chance to get used to the new structure.  The first time they see it they might be skitish.  Stick with it, and they will come in eventually.
For the fence crossings/gates, antelope can definately be patterned, and will use the same crossings regularly.  Patience is you friend!
Whip has some great advice Just remember (STICK AND STAY AND MAKE THEM PAY) if you can not be dropped off then park as far away as you can and hike in by a flash light.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline arrowflinger1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
be patient and sit longer thru the heat and down time than u ever thought u could.......you will be successful always with the goats....Ive killed a goat for the last four years...remember they come in from sunrise til sunset.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Have fun! They are one of the coolest critters to hunt. Bring a camera, there a lots of photo ops sitting a blind. Good luck!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Matt, P.M. sent.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Don't forget the lip balm!!  The air in Wyoming is very dry.  We had good luck using a harness and strapping in to wait in the windmills.  We tried pop up blinds too, but the antelope shied away from them.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Go shop for a good blind stool, then buy a better one than the one you think is "good enough". Also buy a good pad for it. Set on the stool for the first 5 hours, then put the pad on it for the next 7 hours.
Take twice as much water to the blind as you think you need.
Buy a Kendall and load several good books on it.

Those gel neck coolers are wonderful. Have at least two, one on your neck and one in the ice chest, switch often.

Don't eat all your snacks in the first 6 hours out of boredom, save some for the afternoon.

Shooting out of a blind is different! Practice out of your blind a lot while you are at home.

CKR
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©