3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Drawing a line in the Sand??  (Read 1310 times)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drawing a line in the Sand??
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
We need to have unity to survive we need to accept each other and teach the future we need lines and we need them now! We must choose and commit and BE who we claim to be, or we are dead to the future.

Where are those lines?

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
Why can't we accept it all as Archery or Bowhunting, we'll have a better chance at preserving our sport this way, rather than being divided. There are many who would love for us to fight each other rather than them, them being Gov't regulations on what to use and how to use it. Traditional Archery is a form of Archery, Defend Archery and just enjoy your version of it and forget about everything else.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
The only addition I have in my equipment today that I didn't have 46 years ago  ,when I bought my first bow hunting license, is now I shoot carbon arrows verus fiberglass.I don't need anybody drawing any lines for me.

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Well the model T Ford isn't around anymore and most would say its a good thing. I don't know but I do know that man will always look for easier, "better" ways to do things and while I don't subscribe to that line of thinking others do and they are the majority and the way of the future. Just shoot what you like and let the others do what they want. Frank

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
I don't need anybody drawing any lines for me. [/QB]
Exactly. I get enough of that crap at work. When I go hunting or out in the backyard to shoot my bow, I dont care what the rest of the archery world shoots, and they shouldn't worry about the equipment I use.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Right on Killder . String Cutter all your bows are high tech. No self bow and do you use only stone tips ? bet your target tips are high carbon steal.Do you cut your fletchings out with a stone knife or do you buy them buy the bag pre cut and dyed. I do not think your Trad . This stuff should be fun. Use whats fun for you.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
its all trad its alll either traditions from the past or traditions we are making for ourselves ...why is this so flippin difficult ? why do people have to get all damd defensive ? stop fighting eachother and start fighting with each other.this is the oldest and flippin stupidest arguement in the history of archery .!!! if your getting defensive your missing the big picture !!! if you want to be a loner than un plug and go play ball by yourself ! otherwise gust listen and think about how we can resolve this issue and how you can do your part.
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Tradition - an inherited pattern of thought or action.

Picture a boy, his father just bought this weird bent piece of wood from the archery shop, his son is gleaming up at him.  The first recurve bought in this small farm town, the boy grows older, his dad taught him that this bent stick is more accurate with a metal pin as a sight, after all they survived on meat.  That boy shot his very own bent stick in front of his little boy.  The boy now a father himself teaches his boy that a bit of weight on the riser helps keep it steady.  The boys son provides a grandson.  The grandson learns from his father that it is much easier to carry arrows on a quiver that sticks to the bow.  Get the drift . . .

Man I must not be very traditional, I hunt from the ground with a 55# take down recurve with fiberglass in it, and carbon arrows with the latest in high carbon steel broadheads that were sharpened by the latest and greatest sharpener.  Not to mention the 15 extra pounds of camera gear on my back    :eek:  , or the video camera on the tripod next to me.  I don't care who you are filming yourself is just as hard if not harder than hunting with a longbow and wooden arrows.

I fletch my arrows while watching the television in a house that is climate controlled and with the aid of florescent bulbs.  I drive in a 2000 Ford F150 to my hunting destination after stopping at the gas station using a mechanical pump to get the gas from the well.  To perfect my form I used the aid of digital cameras and camcorders, and I bought my hunting license online.  To top it all off when I am successful on my hunts I not only take pictures with my digital camera, but I post a story about it on a traditional bowhunting website with the aid of a Dell computer with a 22 inch HD screen.

New advances in technologie are bad.  Look at what is has done to fly fishing, now everyone can do it    :biglaugh:  

Okay a line needs to be drawn, but not among us, I think we all know where to draw the line, and that line has no business between recurves/longbows, carbon/wood, b-50/d97, vanes/fletching, sight/sightless
    :deadhorse:
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
ifyouwant to getmad at me cause i told you to stop dumping your defensive crap and non helpfull posts than pm me all your angery vomit but lets try to focuse on positive thoughts on how to fix this family and its petty sybling rivalrie.so we can be a strong family withinfluence and traditions to pass down for generations to come.

Offline A. C. Nielsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
String Cutter I say (with all respect) I think if you draw a line and push everyone out that shoots carbon shafts or modern recurves you may very well find yourself in 50 years with nobody to tell about "the good old days."  I think as a society humans are intelligent and will always be "tinkering" to make what we do easier or better.  I don't think shooting a carbon shafted arrow makes our sport less traditional, I think it makes us innovative. I bet if the gentlemen above shooting in the jungle had access to carbon arrows they would be shooting them.
Complacency breeds mediocrity

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
a.c your right about that !!! i bet if you gave the american indians hybread bows and arrows with steel tips the would have kicked our azzes too .

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
no american Indians are in it for food, that is why they dont hunt with bows anymore!  They sure jumped on the use of the 30/30
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
I vote James Wrenn for President

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
Okay a line needs to be drawn, but not among us, I think we all know where to draw the line, and that line has no business between recurves/longbows, carbon/wood, b-50/d97, vanes/fletching, sight/sightless

amen to that brother
  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
one needs to be first drawn between ourselves and the people who want to take our right to hunt and have our hunting equipt.away from us and generations to come

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
First rule of traditional archery:

Camp Fires Only,

NO INTERNET!!!!

...and no carbon...

:laughing:
Micah 6:8

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
chris they used bow and arrow for hunting and warfair as well. we use it for hunting and fun but if i run out of ammo you better believe im grabbin by bow and quiver , if things continue on the path this country is on and things go "code brown".

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
sorry soilarch but campfires have carbon

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
I wish the term Traditional Archery would go away. Forty some years ago when I statrted it was called archery. They aren't doing anything different today than 40 some years ago.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
I posted a rather lengthy answer to this same question a while ago. I thought I might recycle it since I still feel the same way about the subject.

I really don't think it is all that important that we agree on what "Traditional Archery" really is. I think we all already agree that it is important to us what ever it is.

Read it, don't read it. Agree, don't agree, makes me no never mind. I'm not gonna think less of someone because they don't agree with me on something as esoteric as a definition of "Traditional Archery".

MARCH 12, 2009-
Well... I suppose to define traditional it would be necessary to define a baseline of what we are trying to go back to, a standard for traditional. “Traditional” does mean, “long-established, or time-honored”. What should be the representation of that standard? Should our standard be the American Indian? I don’t think so, they (I include myself in that they) bailed on the bow and arrow as soon as firearms were available to them (us). Why? They worked better! There was no phony spiritual whohaw about the magic flight of the arrow. A rifle brought down game and enemies at a farther distance and with greater authority. This was important because survival was the name of the game, not lookin' good at the 3-D shoots.

How about the image of Ye Olden Archer? Again, this doesn’t really work for me either. First there were crossbows and then matchlocks, and then wheel locks, and then flintlocks etc. etc. etc... These took the place of archery equipment in war fighting. Why? Again, they worked better at the job they were required to do. There were some who held to the use of archery equipment because it was a quiet way to kill the King's Deer without being caught.

I hate to say this (I really do but I gotta) TRADITIONAL IS AS TRADITIONAL DOES! The GPS is no more or less traditional than miracle fabric long-johns (I’m not going to do without those) or an illuminated dial watch. I believe “Traditional Hunting” is not what you hunt with; it's all about HOW you hunt with it. I have good friends who shoot compounds that are very traditional minded. My opinion is that traditional hunting equipment is a product of a traditional hunting mind set.

So, is a GPS traditional as far as archery goes? Sure. If that is what you need to be safe where you hunt and it allows you to go farther, trek deeper and hunt longer or harder... Get yourself one and use it. If my ancestors had access to a GPS in the 16th and 17th centuries while they roamed around in the swamps of Mississippi, Kentucky, Alabama and Tennessee, I guarantee they would have used it. If sitting in a tree makes you more successful or is a better way for you to hunt, use it. Would Ye Olden Archer have sat in a tree stand? You bet. The Sheriff of Nottingham would never have seen what was coming.

Once more, this is my opinion. The reason traditional hunting is so difficult to define is that each of us has our own point of view defined by our own experience. How can someone who has never hunted in their life, coming from a family who never hunted have a hunting tradition at all? They would have to borrow one.

My personal tradition is to shoot recurves. It is what I grew up with, all I really knew until I got out in the world on my own. It fits the way I like to do things. It compliments my traditional nature. Picking up a long bow or a recurve (with or without sights) doesn’t make you a traditional hunter. Hunting traditionally (regardless of equipment) does.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©