3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Drawing a line in the Sand??  (Read 1312 times)

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drawing a line in the Sand??
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Killdeer:
That's just what I need.
Someone who wasn't even born when I started shooting to tell me whether I am traditional or not, when I am shooting a 1970 Grizzly with the sight I bought for it that same year.

Gimme a break.
Killdeer~ and I was in SUCH a good mood.    :biglaugh:
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
As long as we decide what we want to buy sell,use, and teach, the tradition will stay alive!How long has the longbow been around? It hasn't left and it won't(don't know about the recurve ...LOL).We are are own keepers of the tradition.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
Well I just waded through 4 pages of "discussion"---and I don't really care what anybody else shoots --I have gone from the high tech all the gadgets [wheels] back to where I started---no wheels no sights--less hassles--more fun--I find recurve and longbow shooting very relaxing and good for my high blood pressure--and definitions don't mean much to me--
Call it what you want--but to me--Traditional is
no wheels----PERIOD.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Killdeer:
That's just what I need.
Someone who wasn't even born when I started shooting to tell me whether I am traditional or not, when I am shooting a 1970 Grizzly with the sight I bought for it that same year.

Gimme a break.
Killdeer~ and I was in SUCH a good mood.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny how that works

:knothead:    :banghead:    :campfire:
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
There was a couple of cavemen sitting at the campfire and one was telling the other about a big saber tooth tiger he killed that day. He said "I eased up behind him and hit it right in the ear with a big Ole stick". The other caveman said. "You used a stick?"

I just like shooting a recurve.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
No lines, no definitions.
Otto

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
lol hoyt!!!! that is just wht some of us have saddly become.   :confused:    :deadhorse:

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
no lines ,no definitions= nothing. otherwise known as chaos

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
I believe the people who start these "what's trad" threads should have a working idea of what they're talking about. Late sixties & early seventies, there were a lot of folks shot recurves with sights, releases & even a few overdraws. Kind of funny how that if they used those today, they wouldn't be considered traditional. Traditional is a mindset. Not an equipment issue.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
what is TRADITIONAL ARCHERY/BOWHUNTING to me ?:

its doing something thats an art its personal like making music or painting a picture not using a graphic program to design a picture but take my hands make and persoalize some arrows and shoot a bow ,a long bow ,recurve no matter. why that bow cause it pleases me it feels good in my hand it has life and personality its simple. "mabe not simple in its construction but simple in its function. the limbs bent with energy storring up in their wood and in thier materials ,they all work together . its a symphany. the form is an art and melody created in my mind and played out by my trained body.
the conclusion of my shot and the majestic flight of the maticulouse and artfully crafted arrow .and the impact accurat forcefull and precice. this is poetry the blood sweat calouses and tears that were put into the journey of descovering forgeing sharpening this masterpece that is a shot . life is good with a bow in my hand and the memories we have and will have and the opportuneity i have to share this musical masterpiece so many of us share . what the hell are we fighting over?      :campfire:    :dunno:

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Funny how "traditional" became a word to describe a period in archery only a few years ago. I started shooting in the late 1950's. Everyone I knew back then shot recurve bows and aluminum arrows. I attended NFAA shoots that had over 300 shooters and not a longbow or wooden arrow was to be found. I don't remember us ever discussing our equipment as not being traditional.

Bow shooters that decided to go back,(or stay) with the common stick and string did it simply because they liked the simple form of archery. The word traditional was invented by people that wanted to distinguish themselves from compound shooters. In my mind, this makes the line in the sand a moot point.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
One of the best thing I have found here on tradgang is that here you do have people from all over the world, with one thing in common the love of traditional bowhunting. And the best part there is a "high roof" for bows as long as they dont have wheels or cables.

I do not understand this thing with drawing a line in the sand? Not traditional?

Somebody is using carbon or alu arrows good for them!
What is next? exclude people who gap shoot or aim before release?

If this thing is so important String Cutter I would like to ask you two questions:

The old way of shooting a bow is with a homemade bow and wooden arrows with stone points, do you shoot this equipment? if so good for you and how many animals do you harvest?

If you don't use this equipment wheres your line in the sand?  :archer:  

Shoot straight  :)  

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
No lines drawn for me except no wheels and cables.

If you want to be "true trad" then go back to self bows, self arrows, and knapped points.  Otherwise there will always be someone " more trad ".  Shoot what you want and enjoy it is my only rule.  As for loosing trad.  If the future trad shooters decide something else is trad and we are all gone.  Who cares.  Were gone.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
I sometimes wonder how many on this and other forums shoot compounds as well as traditional bows. I also wonder, if anyone here (or there) shoots an in-line muzzle loader...or hunts with any type of firearm?  I have never seen any of these on line discussions about what traditional is or should be ever result in anything but controversy. I will even stick my neck out and say that there are some traditional bowhunters I would rather not hunt with and there are some compound guys that I like hanging with. Every Fall Laura and I go up to Northern Maine to hunt bear. We usually go the first week. Two years ago we decided to hunt the third week because of the moon phase. All of our good friends for the most part hunted the first week each year. We knew we would miss not seeing them so we spent 3days of personal vacation time just to hang with them. Only one of them shoots a recurve (and he travels all the way from Switzerland because he can't hunt ANYTHING there....and you want to draw lines...give me a break...you don't know how good you have it).
All the others shoot compounds or firearms. Someday, we need to wake up and realize we are all hunters first...and in the same boat. For me it is not the weapon but the character of the man or woman holding whatever weapon suits their purpose or skill level. Let's please talk about something that will make the sport better rather than being devisive.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Uh.... I'm a bowhunter. Never understood the "traditional archer" thing. Never needed a "title" to bow hunt.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
well said bill .  :notworthy:    :campfire:

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Been doin' this since it was only archery.
How traditional do YOU want to get with your line in the sand?

If you don't shoot a bow that YOU made from a stave, with a string that YOU made from flax, hemp or rawhide, with arrows that YOU cut & made from shoots or cane, fletched with natural feathers that YOU got from a turkey or goose, with points that YOU spalled & knapped, or cut from banding steel & welded, YOU might be on the wrong side of your own line in the sand.

Divide & conquer is what the anti's want & are looking to do . . . .
This line business is just pushing their cause along.

I have to agree fully with Bill C. & Bill K. on this one.

If it ain't got wheels, is hand drawn & held, it's traditional enough for me.

Trad is a state of mind & an attitude.

In the end we all need to stand together or we risk losing it all.

JMHO
Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
no lines in the sand, please - there are enuf rules and regulations already in life we all gotta deal with daily.

make it into or call it what you like, but tradgang.com says "traditional archery" starts and ends with a stick 'n' string that you hold with one hand and draw/release with the other hand.  the rest of the tackle don't much matter at all (well, 'cept for stuff like mechanical broadheads which are clearly not trad), so do whatever and enjoy.  

side note: is it deer season yet???    :laughing:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Happy 4th everyone...

The fireworks should be soon.

God bless you all,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Bill K. said something that snagged in my brain. He mentioned that some folks chose our brand of archery because it is simple. That is exactly right for me.

"Simple" does not mean "easy" in any way. A bugle is a simple instrument, no valves, no slides, but it's by no means easy to play.

Traditional Archery is simple archery. Nothing complicated but requireing effort to become good at it. I can leave it at that.

"Nuff said for me.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©