3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What brought you to shoot Trad.?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What brought you to shoot Trad.?
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
I killed 3 bucks and 8 does during the 2008 season and watched all but 1 fall.

Most of the shots were 12yds or less except for one so i made my mind up the last deer i killed that i wanted to try something that would be fun practicing with and hunting with.

2 months after the season ended i ordered a ACS and now i own 4 custom bows with 4 others
 comming.

I love this sport and i really love the craftmanship that goes into these custom bows.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline cohutta orange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
I made sapling bows as a kid. Didn't get my first production bow until I was like 8. First firearm at 6. Farm boys that's how it goes. I don't even know what kind of bow it was but it didn't have a string. Dad put a piece of rope on it and I have been shooting since. I went to compounds when he got me one at twelve and shot often. I just got back into trad about 6 years ago. I'm going to be 26 July 18. I just wanted all of the native americans to win in the movies. The bow was a much more interesting weapon to me. For my 21'st b day a buddy had a curve for sale. I got it. Since then it has been trad. It is just more fun.
Shoot straight and keep the heads keen

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
What did it for me was having to go and have a dealer put a string on my bow AND they came out with Kevlar arrows - enough for me

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Started out shooting longbows and recurves 50 years ago at age 5.
Have shot them ever since, never owned or shot a cable gun.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I got started as a kid at the base archery range  At Columbus Air Force Base in Mississippi, where my dad was stationed at the time. I was about 10, and we used green fiberglass recurves from Indian Archery (I think) with the grip that could be used by either a leftie or a rightie. (It might have been referred to as Farbenglass rather than fiberglass, but I don't remember exactly).

This pre-dated compounds. After dad was transferred, I no longer had access to archery but held on to the enjoyment.

Later, as a teenager, I bought a Ben Pearson recurve and shot sporadically, but got all caught up in the boom of the big caliber rifles. After killing a number of deer, it just seemed too easy. After all, most of my shots were under 40 yards, hardly a challenge with a scoped rifle. However, the first deer I ever killed was with this bow - a nice 10 point buck.

Finally, around 1990, I read a magazine article about Dan Quillian. It interested me a lot, so I called Dan. That same day I drove over to Athens to his house and bought a Bamboo Longhubter. I have been shooting the longbow regularly since then.

I have shot a compound a few times but just did not like them. I have never wanted to own one. No, I don't kill a lot of deer, but at least I am truly HUNTING in the manner that feel is most rewarding.
Sam

Offline wollybear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
the love of the out doors, and a good frind. abought 4 years ago a frind sold me a bow for $10. a older bow a ben berson and the truth the love was born  :bigsmyl:

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
My school teacher shot archery and showed me how to shoot a bow and arrow.Went to Kmart got a Bear bow for 39.95.Learned everthing the hard way,still at it 45 years later. Still having fun doing it.Like to help the new bowhunters,guess to pay back the ones who helped me along the way.Still learning as i go.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
all the hot women!!!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
I started out when compounds were just getting going, but my first hunting weight bow was what turned out to be a Wilson Brothers recurve that had been through a house fire. It came out ok, but smelled like smoke.

I had an absolute blast shooting that bow. Looking back, I was dang good with it too. Ended up following instead of leading, and by the time I was fifteen, I was shooting a compound. everyone said I "needed" one. Along with it, came all the gadgets.

Before long I was shooting throughout the summer, because it is what bowhunters are supposed to do. The fun was fading.

One summer day, my older brother gave me his mid seventies Bear Grizzly. Oh happy day!

Fred Bear was always a figure larger than life to me, and a recurve bow with it`s simplicity, the decision was a natural one.

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
as someone has already said.... ze women!

Offline Bama Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Never shot a compound...
My grandpa gave me his Wing Thunderbird and said I've taken a lot of deer with that thing.
...That was enough for me
"Relax and pick a spot"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Been shooting bows since I was 6 or so, starting out tying a piece of string to a length of bamboo, then getting my grandfathers lemonwood bow, and then his custom recurve built in the mid-40's.  Been shooting bows for over 50 years now and had never seen or heard of a compound until I was about 25.  Tried it for a couple of years-"Hated it!!"  Haven't shot one in 30 years now.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
I started hunting with recurves about 20 years ago, I had a friend that shot traditional at the time share with me the thought that with my compound if I was off in my estimation of yardage by as little as 2 or 3 yards on a 25 yard shot combined with a slight hold error on top of that I would easily miss or wound an animal, he showed me how he could shoot instinctivly out to 25 yards and be every bit as accurate if not more so than what I was using my pin sites, after alot of daily practice, and be closer to the sport and have alot more fun doing it. I was hooked shortly afterward when I purchased my first traditionl bow and havn't looked back since!
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline centerpunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
A freind and I were squirrel hunting with 22's back in the 1970's. The land owner's relative showed up with a recurve! Said he was there to scout around for the deer season! I asked if I could shoot it and he said, Go ahead! While he and my buddy stood around and talked I was having an affair with his Bear recurve! That was the first time that I really felt in tune with nature. I felt as though I was on an adventure! Soon I found myself on the back side of the property and had been gone for about an hour and a half when I heard a honk from the truck horn! When I returned the guy that owned the recurve gave me a strange look as I handed him back his bow!
A couple of years later I ordered a new Custom Bighorn from Asbell!

Lots of Great memories!

Offline levibear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
I had the great good fortune of being introduced to a kind old gentlemen/archer when i was 6. He felt sorry for the kid with the cheap little wood bow and sucker tiped arrows and took me under his wing and into the clan of archers.

His name was karl Palmatier,  we shot and hunted together many times on his farm here in sothern Michigan. He taught me consevation, he taught me to build archery tackle, he taught me the life lessions that our sport can teach.

Some 45 years  i  am still at it. Thats how i got started.  :coffee:  
Thanks Karl
Never trade time for money, cause when your out of time money don't matter

Offline rogers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
I got started cause of hunting low light situations and not being able to see sight pins, not have to worry about yardages, nothing to get knocked loose and affect accuracy.  Seemed to be the best bowhunting bow and iv been hooked ever sense.

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
buddy of mine has a bear polar i loved it went looking and a week later had a recurve of my own put the wheel bow away and havent shot it since the trad way is by far the best way
p.s. the compound is for sale if anyones interested lol
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
I had a dream about it one night. I went out the next day and bought a Martin Hunter (still have it), a dozen arrows, quiver, and all the reast of the gear.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »
I got tired of the constant tuning and everyone competing to have the latest - fastest - most expensive - etc....  I just got really tired of compounds. I love archery now and look forward to every shooting opportunity.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Magwa45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2010, 02:10:00 AM »
It is just so simple! String, stick, and arrow. You can make your own adjustments and get it all going.
Don in MD

KIMSHA Archery "Mattawoman II" Longbow
Jet Archery "Jaguar" Longbow
Howard Hill Archery "Tembo" Longbow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©