3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow weight after a layoff  (Read 432 times)

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow weight after a layoff
« on: July 04, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I was off shooting for 2 months after back surgery and worked my way up from 45 to50 and today I went to 57 and it was very heavy. Used to shoot 65 with no sweat and doubt if I could pull it today. Am I just a woots or is this normal after that much lay off? Frank

Offline Robert Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow weight after a layoff
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
I would suggest shooting the 50, and slowly working your way up to 57. I know when my father messed his shoulder up he would shoot his lighter bow a few time and then would shoot a heavier bow one or twice a day after streching out with the lower poundage you will slowing work back into the heavier weight, but by all means allow your body to let you know when the time is right.
65# Longbow Made by K.J. Miller
66" 65# @ 27"

60# Greatplains Texas Long Curve
64" 60# @ 28"

52# Selway II
60" 52# @ 27"

62# Centaur
58" 62# @ 28"

Offline Mike Gibbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
I shoot 47lbs., which is way under what I can draw.  The advantage is that I don't have to maintain strength.  The 47 is always easy, and has proven itself to be all I need.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Be easy on your back and work your self slowly up to the weight agian.

Offline fentiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
Mike, yup do not expect too much from yourself and you will never be let down.

No doubt you expect less than stellar accuracy too! ALL I need?

What has happened to archers/hunters,less is more. This is not catch and release fly fishing with a half pound tippet!

Maybe original poster has something more in mind than a suicidal WT by a 4" up 3" out eastern tree hugger! All you need right!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
time and injury takes its toll.  do yerself a big favor and go no higher in holding weight that your body allows, so that you can still shoot 'n' hunt decades from now without any issues.    

a good 50# stickbow is a viable weight for taking most any critter in north america (provided all the other caveats are met - sharp broadhead, well flying arrow, your ability to hit the spot ya pick, etc).
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
I had back surgery 10 years ago and was trying to build back up to my shooting weight of 50-60lbs. when I reinjured myself. I finally let common sense take hold and now shoot bows in the 35-45lbs ranges. They'll do it for you and you can keep shooting. Good luck to you B/W!  :archer:

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Through the years I've had several surgeries including a left major pectoral and tendon reattachment, a right elbow clean up and repair, and a left shoulder operation. (old competitive armwrestler)

Start slow and try to learn to differentiate between "good" therapy pain and "bad" dangerous pain during your rehab.

As you heal you have to ask slightly more of yourself gradually in order to improve or to get back to where you were.

My longest break from pulling a bow back was probably two months but some of my more serious surgeries have taken up to two years to be unnoticeable.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline fentiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Our bodies for most of us are far more capable of strength/stamina than we ask of them.

Sensible training/preparation does no harm except to the egos of couch potatoes.

No archer has ever had an animal turn at release transforming a gimme broadside into a sickening crack and zero penetration or...?

Yup get the govt. to ban the use of all bows over 55# so no egos are threatened because some choose to hunt with heavier bows.

Why is the use of heavier bows always the cause of the health issues. Me thinks maybe the common denominator could be LACK of year round practice/fitness training as bubba STRUGGLES to pull back the bow after putting it down 9 months ago. Yes deer season is here again.

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
Um, Fentiger, they were talking about getting back up to par post-surgery, not bow weight injuries. Just sayin'...   :rolleyes:
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline fentiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
Um Tsalagi, please read Mike's post followed by Rob's post both weight specific. Just readin'

So sportsmen who suffer injuries should throw in the towel and learn to set their expectations lower or work back to it sensibly?

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Sure everyone should use a bow weight that will kill cleanly the things they hunt.That is a given but some just need or think they need much more that others.After hunting with everything from over 100lb to 40lb stickbows I have learned what is enough for what I hunt.Like Mike I shoot bow weights that do not need constant shooting or weight training to handle.Not everyone has the time to work just to shoot a heavier bow that they need for the job.There is nothing in this world that a 60lb bow will kill that could not be killed just as dead with a 50lb bow.I would not worry if getting back up to 65lbs does not work out.As long as your bow weight is legal for where you hunt a few more lbs mean nothing at all. jmho
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Yeah, my bad.   :archer:
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline fentiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
JW, funny thing lots of hunters drive HD pick-ups and never tow or haul real loads but then pick on me for my heavy bow poundage as they laugh at our girlie Subaru.

Methinks.....;-]

Offline dtarbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Who is picking on you for your bow weight?Shoot what ya want stud.

Offline fentiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Obviously another english comprehension challenged poster;-]

My point, shoot what you want girlie ;-]?

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Funny but I never know what weight guys around me are shooting.It never comes up when we shooting.They shoot what they want like I do.Sorry if you get picked on but I suspect you ask for it as you trying to do in this thread.   ;)  Shoot what you use well and no one will ever have anything to say about whaty you are shooting.If you can handle heavy weights that is great.Some of us don't care to but all that comes out in the shooting.We can tell if you are trying to shoot more than you really can.   ;)    :biglaugh:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Fentiger, I was thinking maybe I missed something and so said "My bad". I didn't miss anything. I suppose you can't hear anything anyone else says over the sound of your own awesomeness, right?   :rolleyes:

Offline fentiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
I shoot a quite unusual set up and am more than willing to let anyone try it who cares to at the range. I get many questions from frustrated barebow single stringers and compounders who are generally used to seeing less than acceptable hunting accuracy from single stringers;-[

JW funny but every time I am at the range folks always tell me the details about their bow and want the scoop on mine. Heck even here and other sites they publish their bow specs next to their names.

Must now apologise for my way too subtle sarcasm aimed at the Obama inspired archery nanny brigade. Did I strike a nerve?;-]

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »
"Must now apologise for my way too subtle sarcasm aimed at the Obama inspired archery nanny brigade."

You don't need to apologize. You need to grow up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©