3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I drew a ewe bighorn tag!  (Read 320 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
I drew a ewe bighorn tag!
« on: July 04, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Hey Gang,
    I have been fortunate enough to draw a ewe bighorn sheep tag in Montana for this fall. Yeehaawww!!!!   I've never sheep hunted before and am looking for any advice for a newbie sheep hunter. ie. where to find them from September to November, stalking strategies(hand signals, etc.), glassing, etc.  
Any advice would be very appreciated.  
Cheers, Matt
ps-I'll be hunting unit 213 near Anaconda
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I drew a ewe bighorn tag!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
WOW!! That is a dream hunt, to hunt sheep. Good luck! Take lots of pics!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by steadman:
WOW!! That is a dream hunt, to hunt sheep. Good luck! Take lots of pics!
Yeah, what Steadman said!!  Congrats!
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
I hunt them like I'm out having a picnic. Once you spot some go very slow. Pick at blades of grass and brush like something feeding. Thats worked for me a couple of times. Try to get ahead of some feeding and set up in ambush. Bone out every speck of meat. Some of the best venison there is IMHO. Good Luck!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
If you go late in November, you will be able to find the ewes by sound--rams battling.

If you have a good partner to guide you from the bottom on your stalks it is a LOT easier.

If not, watch them till they bed, make sure they stay put, and get yourself some landmarks and go at it. I found Bighorns to be very patternable, but was not able to close the deal.  It can be done for sure.

If you don't have good binocs, break down and get some.

Start training NOW if you haven't and get in the best shape of your life as quickly as possible!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Wow! Get a mentor!

Offline arrowflinger1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Congrats buddy! Ive hunted ewes twice and its awesome! It is tough though.....but very do able! PM me and Ill tell you what I know as it might help a bit.

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »
Congrats!  I'm pumped for you.

Offline jason1040

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
How cool is that! Make sure that you post your hunt for all the rest of us to dream about.
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Congrats.  I am going to start building points for hunting sheep next year.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Gun, Did you move buddy. I heard that you were thinking about it. We're gonna miss you here!

I agree with Gun. Have hunted ewes a couple of times and been on a couple more hunts. Once I find them I slowly walk towards them at an angle never making eye contact, in fact don't even look at them. Don't walk too fast but don't look like you're sneaking either. The toughest part is getting them out. Best meat there is!!

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
What Steadman said...X2!
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Never hunted ewes but been on multiple ram hunts and harvested a nice ram, with a rifle, about 5 years ago.  Like mentioned before you don't need to bull rush sheep.  Take your time and do a nice stalk.  I've had alot of luck getting extremely close to rams either when I'm above them in the rocks or if it's really hot and they are sticking in the timber.  Again like mentioned before sheep can be pattern to a certain extent.  I've found that sheep like a certain ridge/drainage and can spend alot of time (weeks/months) in the same area.

good luck and pick a spot,

James

Offline Partagas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
Just watched Fred Eichler on Bowhunting TV shoot a ewe in colorado last week.  Too cool.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Awesome take lots and lots of picts so we can live it through you. Congrats and go get on that exercise bike.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Thanks fellas!  Are there certain areas on the mountain I should focus my scouting efforts (ie. northern aspects, alpine, timberlines, ridges)? Will the sheep typically be found in different areas as the season progresses?
It almost sounds like the ewes can be fairly easily approached.  Is it better to stay out of sight or do they tolerate quite a bit of intrusion?  What kind of numbers will I be looking at per ewe group?  

Thanks gang, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
I have hunted sheep once many years ago. It was a tough hunt, very steep and hot weather. I passed on a ram with a broken horn the very first day, I walked right up to him and had him broadside at 25 yards. I thought if it is that easy why shoot one with a broken off horn, the other side was 3/4 curl the legal limit. Needless to say that was a BIG  :banghead:  mistake. I never got that close again and never had one stand there and look at me.

I hunted 10 days and saw several nice full curl rams but could not get close enough. Most of my hunting was on the open faces and canyons. I did not hunt the timber side of the mtn because I was seeing rams every day. Good binos are a must and spend LOTS of time glassing.

Get in shape, hunting in shale and rocks is two steps up three steps back at times and the heat can be draining.

Best of luck to you ... sheep hunting is awesome and if you see a big ram up close there are few experiences like it in the hunting world. And watch out for rattle snakes. I saw lots of them.I was hunting in eastern Washington.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
If you don't mind me asking what does a Ewe tag cost???? Just wondering!  :confused:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
The ewes in the areas I hunt seem to like the grassy slopes which is nice cuz they're easier to spot there. Don't discount the rocky areas in between though. I do think they'll hit the woods in bad weather.

Again, where I hunt them the ewes are more easily approached and do tolerarate a certain amount of intrusion but they will eventually move on even if you pose no threat to them.

I have seen them in the same general area 2 weeks after I took a ewe out of the herd. I think only permament snow or the rut will move them much although they do seem to move from year to year a bit. As far as numbers go, I've seen as few as 2 and as many as 32 in a group although 15-20 seems common where I hunt. Hope this helps a bit.

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »

After missing one at 22 yards I got to within 30 yds of this ewe by walking at an angle towards her and looking at the ground. She died 20 yds from where I hit her. Notice the absence of stalking cover! I can't wait to get drawn again. 1-2 more years!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©