3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 Piece Longbow  (Read 400 times)

Offline IronJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
2 Piece Longbow
« on: July 04, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Guys, I've been really wanting to try a 2 piece longbow. I've been primarily a recurve shooter all my life but see the advantage to a 2 piece LB. Easy to travel with and very compact plus they are nicer to carry in the bush. You don't get hung up on branches and such. Anyway, some good advice on some brands and bowyers is appreciated. I guess I would prefer a r/d bow also. Thanks........IJ
Fedora Bows, Easton Arrows, BigJim Quivers & Bear Razorheads!

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 Piece Longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Most of the sponsors here that make 1pc longbows, will also do a 2pc version for some extra cash
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
I think either mysticguido or mudd has one they had made.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
I really like my two piece Toelke Whip. I bought it for backpack and horseback hunts. They are the perfect bow for those type of hunts in my opinion.
Jack Shanks

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Big Jims Thunder Child comes 2pc 52 to 58"s if you want longer go with his Buffalo Bow. They have a great looking connection system that disappears when strung....

Review and pictures..

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=086908  

Slideshow

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/coaster500/Big%20Jims%20Bows/?albumview=slideshow
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
a hybrid r/d bow it is... one with a decent shaped grip (that is much easier to adjust to than the old traditional Longbow grip). I think bows are a very subjective thing. However, I think attraction is a big thing when it comes to bows... Some like them a lil meaty, some like them lithe and petite. Some like lots of fancy woodwork, some like a subtle elegance with smooth lines...

However, I work many weekends and just wanted to get a longbow and didn't have much opportunity to try many bows. However, I went on faith and looked until I saw a bow that attracted my attention. When I found it I was amazed at how well the bowyer was able to make a grip that felt as though I wrapped my hand around a stick of butter so to speak... It just fit in every manner. I just had to trace my hand on paper and measure around my hand in a couple places... Some bowyers do this, some just have S,M, L... SOme have different grip profiles, some don't...

There are lots of awesome custom bowyers out there. Some make a faster bow, some make a more forgiving bow. Some make a prettier bow. But somewhere there is a bowyer who will met your needs. My perfect bow may not be your perfect bow.

l would say that it is subjective... list your desires and criteria and the question becomes much easier to answer... But then I am happy with what i have, some folks have had 50 or more bows and keep looking for the one....
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Bald Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
I'm sort of partial to a Wes Wallace Royal myself.  The takedown sleeve isn't so heavy that it screws up the handling of the bow.  Plus, they are supremely good shooters.

BS

Offline KY..Rob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
My vote would be for "Big Jim" or the "Widow Boys" Both use the Locket-Socket T/D system or Double Wedge. Works great and under a Nice Beavertail grip, you would think you were shooting a 1pc.

Rob..

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
Second the Wes Wallace Royal.  I have two and love them.  Check out my post called the The Twins - Royals that is for some good pics.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
I will 3rd the Wallace Royal.  I have a 2 piece I picked up on the classifieds that I absolutely love.  I'm sure there are several very good choices.  This is one of them if you get the chance.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 05:58:00 AM »
no matter what, it'll be a crap shoot deciding what bow to buy without trying first.  all the opinions of others are just that - THEIR idea of what works, or doesn't work, for THEM.  

so without trying first it'll be a crap shoot of sorts, and one that'll make ya part with about $500 (used) to $800 (new) and you'll be left to make that bow work for ya one way or the other ... or else it's off to list it on the classifieds.  a tale that gets played out almost daily at trad gang, judging by the ad posts.

i found MY perfect longbow in a mohawk.  aside from the subjective feel and performance of a mohawk, vince is master bowyer and a great fellow to boot ... his bows are finely crafted from the best materials, too.  ain't nothing like the smoothness of 'boo limb cores and veneers.  

i've owned and shot 2pc longbows with just about every kinda t/d system around and the connexion hinge is the best for me - super easy to join, even under the worst conditions, super solid to use, and super easy to dismount.  

so, here's my take on 2pc t/d longbows - TRY a mohawk!  

john, i'll send ya mine for ya to check out.  it's rh, 62" and 55#@29".      :campfire:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
I like the tomahawk t/d in 58" and 3 rivers will let you send it back within 30 days if you don't like it. Now that is a risk free trial!

I have the Diamond SS t/d and love it...planning to get a 2nd one.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
I think either mysticguido or mudd has one they had made.
That would be Mudd

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
My 2pc Robertson Quest LB is one of my favorite bows. It has the connexion hinge which seems to work well. Smooth and fairly quick. I've only shot a few 1 pc bows but I cannot tell a difference. Easy to take down and set up.

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
look at a cari-bow wolverine in the 2pc, you will never know it is a 2pc bow.

www.caribow.com

Good Luck

Darren

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
Yes, Cari bow Peregrine and volwerine are really great 2 piece TD hybrid bows. And hybrid design gives a lot more performance than strait or light R/D one.
On the Right this is a TD peregrine close to 3 piece TD other bowyers hybrid bows

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
I much prefer two piece over three, but that is my personal opinion. Just took possession of a two piece TD, HH "RedMan" 53@28, 64" long. This bow shoots like a dream at my 27 and 3/4" draw. This brings me to my recommendation. Try to shoot before buying, but if you cannot, at least talk with a few bowyers before buying. Your draw length will go a long way in determing what length bow you need to buy.I would not want a HH bow at less than 64" considering my draw length, but I have a 62" R/D Massie "Longhorn" TD that shoots just fine. Go figure. Good luck in your quest. The journey is well woth the effort.  :dunno:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Turner:
I much prefer two piece over three, but that is my personal opinion. ....
i'm with ya on that - 3pc just don't look like a longbow.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
I like the locket socket quite a bit by Widow,Cari-bow and Big Jim.very solid,no tools and does not flop around when unstrung.The 2 piece sleeve is nice on the Royal by Wallace and Fox and can be made with a locator grip.Those 2 bows will have more mass weight in the riser than other designs if you like that with the steel and brass hardware.

The 2 piece thunderhorn is awesome and crafted with precise tolerances and an  amazing fit.Its expensive though.

I got a 2 piece all phenolic riser with the bow bolt right now thats working out well.Its a 7 eyes thats very simlar to a Shrew classic hunter but 60 inches long.Chad at holm made makes a 2 piece all phenolic riser bow bolt Osprey thats bound to be a great bow for a good price.

I also love the GN Jacknife TD system.That on the Critter Gitter,Fireball or Bushbow would make a fine TD longbow type bow for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©