3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 Piece Longbow  (Read 399 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 Piece Longbow
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
Widow PLX, but I'm biased!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Keep in mind: The heavily reflexed "hybrid" bows sacrifice some of the easy-travel characteristics of a straighter longbow. I have some reflexed longbows...so I know. You can't just slide some of these limbs into a slender tube for travel. They must be packed more like a recurve for airline travel. It's likely a minor point, but one to be aware of.

I happen to like the 2 piece bows that have reflex, but not in the extreme. I want them to look like a longbow (or close) when strung. The real wild hybrids do not appeal to me. I'm an either-or kind of recurve-longbow guy. It's undeniable that as some longbows look more like recurves, they tend to act and shoot more like recurves. My personal advice is to figure out what attracts you to longbows and then hang on to that as you search for your ideal weapon.

The grip on a longbow will likely have a tremendous bearing on how well you like and shoot the bow...so spend the time to handle and shoot more than one.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

Originally posted by Bill Turner:
I much prefer two piece over three, but that is my personal opinion. ....
i'm with ya on that - 3pc just don't look like a longbow. [/b]
Ditto!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
Keep in mind: The heavily reflexed "hybrid" bows sacrifice some of the easy-travel characteristics of a straighter longbow. I have some reflexed longbows...so I know. You can't just slide some of these limbs into a slender tube for travel. They must be packed more like a recurve for airline travel. It's likely a minor point, but one to be aware of.

I happen to like the 2 piece bows that have reflex, but not in the extreme. I want them to look like a longbow (or close) when strung. The real wild hybrids do not appeal to me. I'm an either-or kind of recurve-longbow guy. It's undeniable that as some longbows look more like recurves, they tend to act and shoot more like recurves. My personal advice is to figure out what attracts you to longbows and then hang on to that as you search for your ideal weapon.

The grip on a longbow will likely have a tremendous bearing on how well you like and shoot the bow...so spend the time to handle and shoot more than one.
Ditto. I like the "traditional grip" as well. Hybrids shoot well but many are recurves to me for all intents and purposes-or at least miss on the reasons I wanted to shoot a longbow in the first place. I like the Border GL, sleeve two piece as my favorite so far. Just a little R/D to take the shock out but skinny and light and "D" shaped!   ;)      :thumbsup:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
I have always shot one peice bows and love them.but I picked up a Big Jim buffalo longbow that is two peice and it is rock solid and shoots just like a one peice.and like said above when put together you can't even tell its a two peice.
robert quetot

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
My choice would be a Robertson or Great Northern.  They are my favorite one piece bows and their T/D systems are solid.  Proven designs and great folks to boot.  Fox would be another good choice, IMO.

Rick
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©