3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Sapelo" summer hunt!  (Read 518 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
"Sapelo" summer hunt!
« on: July 05, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
CJ Pearson brought his family south for a fourth of July weekend get away.  His wife and daughters made quite a crowd when you added my wife, daughter, and son.  They raided the local beaches and had a blast.

Myself and CJ had other plans on Ft Stewart with our Apex Predator Sapelo longbows.  The cooler weather was a blessing for sure!  We hunted Sat morning, all day Sunday, and Monday morning.  We had some other folks join us along the way.  Ward Kaiser, Martin Hubbard, Robert Carter, and Chris Spikes were also able to enjoy part of the weekend in the woods.

The first day had myself, CJ, and Ward in the swamp.  CJ and I both had close encounters, but no cigar.  The morning started out at 65 degrees, and it only warmed to the low 80s.  What a beautiful day!

The second day CJ and I tried an archery only area, figuring that it may have had less pressure.   We split up and left the truck.  After marking several great deer stand locations, I saw movement in the distance.  The wind was cooperating, so I moved in fast.  I had my eye on a big black sow, but a smaller red one kept getting in the way.  Nineteen yards and slightly quartering was all I could stand.  A CE heritage shaft with a 250 grain VPA head was on it's way!  When the arrow thumped it in the ribs, hogs scattered every which way.  I figure there were 15 in the sounder.  My red one never ran, but just trotted off.  I thought I saw it go down a short distance away.  Several other hogs went to the downed hog and tried to get her up and away.  The loud squeeling started then, but was over briefly.  Just then someone says "heh"!  I turn around and it was CJ, who was stalking the same sounder of pigs!  He didn't see me, and couldn't figure out what that thump sound of my arrow striking home was until he saw my bow tip sticking out from behind a tree.

We walked up to where the pig was standing and found my arrow.  

The pig only made it 40 yards!  She was larger than I thought, and probably weighed 100#.

I insisted that CJ continue to hunt while I cleaned my pig.  Good thing too, because within 30 minutes he got on another group of pigs!  I'll let him tell his story.

We were both shooting Apex Predator Sapelo longbows!  Mine is a 68" hinged take-down drawing 50@28, and his is 66" and draws 57@28.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Sapelo" summer hunt!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Looks like all kinda fun,  nice bows, I check your web site every now and then hoping to find an "in stock" page, but havent found one yet!

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Awesome shooting and stalking so far.  :campfire:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
cmon CJ lets hear your story

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Way to go guys!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Good shooting and congrats on the pigs!
Mike Davenport

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
Nice Shooting Apex!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Nice shooting Apex.Fresh porkcops for the grill.Thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Congrats and great shot!!  :archer2:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
Looks like a great day.  Nice pig.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:   Well done...
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Great job Marty and CJ. Chris and I got into pigs 6 times and could not close the deal.It was a heap of fun and.....I did`nt see any snakes and only two gators.RC

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Apex, looks like your bows were right on the money!!! What is the season in GA, I am visiting my son in the Atlanta area, how close will I be to good pig hunting? Also I am interested in your longbows? Thanks Jerry.

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Awesome hunt! Thanks for sharing with story and pics.  

With regard to the pigs that went over to stand near the downed sow....is there any chance that they were actually trying to nurse?? I have seen piglets take the opportunity to try to nurse on a downed sow.

Anyhow, congrats!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Way to go, CJ...do any slippin' and slidin'? CJ's a great shot on piggies.

We were hunting at my place in SC and couldn't believe the good luck we had with teh weather.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
fishnhunt,

Take a look at that sow's belly- she's not wet.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Makin' bacon!  Congrats!   :thumbsup:

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
good stuff lads !
Longbows , hogs and mates ... doesn't get any better than that .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline sabas silva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 01:10:00 AM »
Great hunt, pictures say it all. I have been in Grovetown GA.since June 5th and been   near Ft. Gordon babysitting 2yr. old grand daughter and awaiting new twins in mid July
I did bring my longbow with a few arrows, so @ 0615
every morning I walk down to the pond and shoot a few arrows and again in the evening after grand daughter goes to bed,
should be ready to hunt when i get home around mid august if I can part with these grand baby's

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 05:58:00 AM »
The pigs were all weaned.  They are very social critters.  I have had a not so nicely hit pig be pushed forever by a sounder of hogs.  Instead of bedding up nearby and dying, they can travel rediculous distances when with a sounder.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©