3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Astro Flight String ?  (Read 218 times)

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Astro Flight String ?
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
I have just started making some strings with this material and had 2 break( have made 6 total). Both breaks were new strings and 1/2 way between the serving and loop. Todays break came while I was pulling a serving tight. This stuff is supposed to be 125# per strand and both stings were 8 strands.

I am beginning to get a little gun shy with this material. Anyone else had this problem?

Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline Rufus 25

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Astro Flight String ?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
I have made 3 strings so far with AstroFlight with no problems.  I have been making mine with 3 bundles of 4 stands for a 12 strand string with the loops padded with 3 extra strands.  So far no problems and it helps to quiet my PSR.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
could someone tell me how to make a padded loop string
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I've used it with zero problem, I build a 12 strand string and I love it. Chad
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
To make a padded loop you just lay in a few more strands of string in the loop ends before twisting it up.I usally lay in extra strands about 12" long and stagger them.And you can pad loop ends with different materials.When I make like a 8 strand D97 I'll add about 4 strands per bundle of B50 for the padding.It is probably not necessary for most modern bows with micatra tips.But I pad my loop ends to make them a larger diameter to fill the string grooves better which I feel helps to make a quieter string.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
I'd contact Brownell about it.  As I understand it, Astroflight is their answer to BCY's Dynaflight 10 (or vice-versa).  They recommend 16-20 strands for strings.

Could be you got a bad spool.  It's hard to tell this early in the game--PENN 66 and B-75 were touted as the best thing since sliced bread on message boards, until they were pulled from the market because the broke with no warning.  I was referred to as pretty much everything but smart and honest for voicing my concerns before they were pulled.  I imagine there are folks that won't speak up (if they had a problem) for that reason.  

Chad

Offline brinkwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Glad I went with the DynaFlight 10 now. I have had good luck with it using 14 strands.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
No, been building and shooting, 8, 10 and 12 strand strings since the beginning of the year. Haven't heard of any such breaks or problems, and have alot of folks shooting them.

Any material can fail. If "man" has a hand in it! I'm not shouting from the roof tops, I still shoot about the same!

If your breaks occured in the same place, most likeley happened in the building process or your equipment.

Bad material? Maybe. Call and ask.

I built a D-97, 12 strand, last summer, for a 55lb, BBO. Shot it alot and killed a doe, 2nd week of October. Week later, going to stand, noticed a fuzzy area, halfway up the string. Checked and found 3 strands broke!

Why? I don't know. I'm pretty aware of my surroundings and equipment!

Does this mean Dynaflight is bad?   :bigsmyl:

Good shooting,

Steve

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
No problem here with 6 and 8 strand astroflight, both flemish and endless loop both padded to 14, been shooting it for several months now and made about a dozen strings. We will see how it handles the summer heat but so far I am liking it.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
I have been shooting one Steve "Frank Bullit" twisted up for me since early spring with no issues at all! In fact I'm sold on astro flight and need to get a few more ordered!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©