3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Wheelie Guy Told Me He Could Shoot It In The Butt  (Read 631 times)

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
A Wheelie Guy Told Me He Could Shoot It In The Butt
« on: July 05, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
I was talking to a wheelie guy I know who has the coolest, newest, fastest mechanical arrow launching device he could find.  He mentioned something about being able to shoot a deer or even an elk straight from behind (through the poop shoot), pass clean through, and get an efficiently killed animal.

This got me thinking...  Would any of you figure that'd be a good bet for hunting (let's keep it to deer and elk for the sake of this argument)?  Also made me wonder, since I'm still really new to all this, what about straight on shots.  Would you just aim into the chest and is that an ethical shot?  What about a bedded animal?  Would you give it a shot or wait until it stood up?  My first inclination is, probably not the best idea-poor angle and/or limited path to vitals.  Would a broadside bedded animal be an exception or would the shoulder pretty well cover it all up?

Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Wheelie Guy Told Me He Could Shoot It In The Butt
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Next time you see him, ask him if him how much gutting he's actually done of animals and how much tolerance he has for eating fecal matter. This sounds like he's spinning a whopper.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
i agree with tsalagi it sounds like crap to me to  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
You need to ask him where he buys his BS Grenades.  That is a CRAZY thing to tell someone.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Bush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
That is so ridiculous.  He had to have been bs-ing.  The hole in through the pelvis is so small, and then to penetrate several feet.  It doesn't even seem like many compound guys are getting passthroughs anymore with their 5 gpp arrows on broadside shots.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
I have heard the same thing before from a couple of compound shooters.  It seems that some people who are trying to sell fast bows are stretching the truth to sell them.  His statement shows his complete ignorance of an animals anatomy and the abilities of archery equipment in general.  I find it best to leave people that foolish to their dilusions

With any bow a straight on or bedded shot is a very low percentage shot.  I know a couple of guys who have taken straight on shots at elk.  All of them were at less than 5 yards. One fell 30 yards away.  I got a phone call and we tracked the other one for hours and bumped it twice.  We never did recover that elk.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline 2020

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
shot at a deer extreme quarter away,as soon as I released deer turned straight away arrow went right up the poop shoot,45 yards with a 70 pound compound,325 grain arrow 2 blade rage,deer ran 70 yard death run and fell over,under 15 sec. death,did not pass all the way thru but large blood trail,lots of arteries in the rear end of deer,not something I would do on purpose but very quick kill,frontal shot saw elk taken with longbow at 10 yards arrow went right to feathers,elk down very fast,will they work yes but small target and large margin for error.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
I"d like part of your action. Unless he has a 90# bow & 1000gr arrows it ain't gonna happen.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
I hate the thought of it because there is a lot to injure- but in fairness, I think a shot in the rear end can be absolutely deadly. There are major arteries on either side of the "shoot." If you hit the shoot you have a dead deer for sure. If you shoot low- there is major blood flow in the "organ" that will take an animal out in seconds.

We saw a young guy last year shoot his first deer ever.  Hard quarter and it turned as he released the arrow.  It hit next to the "shoot" but high.  That arrow penetrated with the head sticking out up through the armpit. The deer did not make it 50 yds.

I would never take the shot- too much margin for error.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
For the original poster.  Never take any hard angling shots or poop shoot shots. They are  an unethical low percentage shot for any archery gear.  The animals you hunt deserve your respect and a clean death.  If you don't kill an animal with that type of shot it will either be run to ground and eaten alive by coyotes, or slowly die of blood poisoning which is far worse.

Only inexperienced or foolish experienced hunters would knowingly take that type of shot. You destroy / contaminate a lot of meat and potentially leave the animal to die a horrible death.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
I shot several deer head on years ago w/compound. What I noticed is from a treestand I hit the spine every time dropping them in their tracks. From the ground I shot 2 they were 110lbs does and the arrow came out their rear end. They only went about 30 yards or so. I don't think it is the best shot to take so I stay away from it now. Most of the time I have found if I wait I will get the shot I want.LCH

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Horner:
You need to ask him where he buys his BS Grenades.  That is a CRAZY thing to tell someone.
not only is this funny it is also true  :smileystooges:
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys, and thanks Ragnarok-pretty well reinforced what I was already thinking.  Interesting thing that even the ones posting successful kills with straight on/away or severe angles say they wouldn't do it again or intentionally (in the cases of the animals turning at release).

I think this would be the part where I'm supposed to learn from those wiser and more experienced....  :archer2:  

Thanks again, all

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
I've seen several deer killed quickly with hindquarter shots. In an old hunting magazine years ago, Fred Bear recommended the hindquarter shot as a quick kill, with the deer standing straight away. The hindquarter is full of big blood vessels. In one case, I saw a button buck killed by an arrow that didn't even penetrate the animal. The broadhead cut enough blood vessels on a grazing shot to put the deer down in sight.

I don't shoot them that way deliberately, but I've come to expect a quick recovery if they're hit there unintentionally.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
I would like to apologize in advance, but when I heard about the butt shot the first time it was euphemistically called a "Texas Heart Shot".  I can't imagine taking a shot like this on anything that I didn't just plain hate.  Seems your ruin a lot of meat and geez, what a painful way to die.  I would feel bad if I accidentally made a bad gut shot.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
Years ago Dan Quillian decided to combat the supposition that getting shot with an arrow is painful. He interviewed several people who had been shot with broadheads by accident, and without exception it was painless, including one poor guy who was shot in the butt. He felt the arrow hit him, but didn't know what it was and didn't feel it after the impact. He almost died, but there was no "suffering" involved.

There are many worse ways to go than a sharp broadhead.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 05:43:00 AM »
I would guess the compound shooter was remarking about the increditable power his new bow can enforce.The newest generation of compounds are nothing short of remarkable and w/ a well tuned and good arro broadhead set up,I can see some of these bows easily acomplishing the feat.
As for head-on shots?
I would be more apted to lean towards the rump shot for reasons stated before.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Really - did he call it the "poop-shoot shot" - I guess I never really will, hear it all. Thanks for the humor.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
My guess is he is someone fairly new to killing animals.I used to think lots of things about killing things untill I had shot a few dozen of them with arrows.   ;)  Give him time,he will learn.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline dbishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by rraming:
Really - did he call it the "poop-shoot shot" - I guess I never really will, hear it all. Thanks for the humor.
I've always heard it called "shoot'n em in the brown eye"

Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©