3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Superglue Blues - Fletching That Is  (Read 416 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Superglue Blues - Fletching That Is
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
Ok,

So I have read on here several times that gel super glue makes for a quick easy fletching job.  I had Tricia pick some up in town today. She brought home the " Original Super Glue Gel ". I opened the first tube and it worked like magic.  Just put the glue on the feather in the clamp.  Put the clamp in place and voila, ten second later your fletched and getting ready for the next one.

Only problem was that the tube was half full of air.  When I had used up that tube, I tried a second tube, The first part of the tube worked and then it was also half full of air. The second part of the glue out of the tube refused to set up at all.  I cleaned the shaft and fletching and tried the third tube which also refused to set up.

So my question here is.  Do you guys use the Original Super Glue or are you using the Loctite Super Glue?  I have a feeling I ended up with some made in China crap with lousy quality control and should be buying American to get a super glue that will work.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Superglue Blues - Fletching That Is
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
Never had that problem with Loctite Super Glue GEL.

There's little air bubbles now and then...and I've let a few sit long enough to dry up on me (several weeks) but never what you describe.

I'm quite sure it's more expensive then normal fletching glues in the long run...but it is SOOOOO much better I've never even bothered to compare cost per arrow.
Micah 6:8

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
What oilarch said.LCH

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
My local archery shop uses and sells Pine Ridge Products instant arrow glue.  This super glue comes in a 1 oz bottle and is not a gel but pretty thick.  This stuff is awesome! You will not be dissapointed.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
I've used Gorilla Glue brand super glue for a couple of years with great results.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
I've used Loctite from WalMart for years with no problems.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I will poke around tomorrow and find one of those brands. It is more expensive than the slow glues I was using. Being able to fletch two dozen arrows in an hour will be totally worth the extra cost.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 06:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Avid Archer:
I've used Gorilla Glue brand super glue for a couple of years with great results.
Same here, started using Gorilla Glue brand around 4-5 years & haven't looked back, really does the trick.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
That's why i switch to the tape.Got tired of fighting with glue.Have not looked back since.The fletching tape bond instantly and holds excellent.Hope this helps.  :wavey:
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
I have had nothing but good results also with Loctite gel just isn't enough in that little bottle. If you can find the Pine Ridge like Reaper mentioned I would also reccomend it, for the money it goes a long ways and keep the tip clean!

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
I buy my thick super glue at the hobby shop.  They will have various speeds and thicknesses.  They also have activators to speed it up if you wish.  I am not a fan of those as I sometimes screw up placement and need to shift it a little.  The shop where I buy mine has 2oz bottles which last a good while.

MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Saltydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
Ya'll glue if ya want. In my opinion you can't beat the tape. No mess and replacing damaged or worn fletching is so much easier
I've learned that walk in the woods with my father as a child did wonders for me as an adult.

Offline marsniper27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
i only use loctite no matter what im using superglue for have only found one thing it didn't work good on (slick plastic models). I am going to be using tape to fletch my new gts it looks easier and quicker.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
I 3rd or 4th the Gorilla brand super glue.Works great and quick. BUT, I recently found out that I've develped an allergic reaction to the stuff!  :scared:  
I fletched up a couple of dozen arrows a few weeks ago using Gorrilla, super glue and by that night I couldn't breath, Eyes swelled almost shut. Took about 3 days before I was back to normal. Scary stuff. I've never had any sort of reaction before this and a google search confirmed what I suspected. One can use the stuff for years without any reaction and out of the blue get laid low by just the fumes.....

So, I'm now using fletch tape. Pain in the butt but it works and I can breath so I guess I'll learn to live with it.
Sorry for the derail....
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
What Sollarch and swamdrummer said.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
TAPE - you will wonder why you ever used glue.

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
I've been using the Gorilla glue and it does a great job.  It also is easy to apply to fletching as well.
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
super glues did NOT work for me when water based finish was used on the arrow...had to go to duco cement which took 10-12 minutes to set up. The super glues just sat there and refused to set up...just really weird! The ones that did, flew off during range sessions....a truely maddening experience! Like I said though...water based finishes were employed on my arrows......anyone else have this experience....and yes, I tried the super glue gel...hmmmm
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I'm sticking with "Fletch-Tite".

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Another Duco user here.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©