3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shipping the meat home  (Read 447 times)

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shipping the meat home
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
For those of you who have flown to an out of state hunt, how did you get your meat home?  I've heard of guys checking coolers as luggage at the airport, but also heard that the meat can be shipped home via the Post Office.  Any experiences with one or the other?  How about costs?  Thanks.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shipping the meat home
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
StanM,
I have exactly the same question right now. I'm contemplating an elk hunt near Grants Pass, OR this year. Since I have to be in Denver for 4 days I'm thinking about flying to Denver, then to Medford, OR and then back home to KY.  This will save me 4,600- 5,000 miles of driving. I'm thinking a Rooselvelt is going to yield 250 pounds of processed and frozen elk vensison. I'm pretty sure I've heard the airlines don't like dry ice in their holds. However, if frozen solid I'm not concerned about thawing on a 10-12 hour day. I am concerned about the cost though.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
I always use a cooler checked in as luggage. As long as the meat is frozen, I put the meat in a large trash bag, then cover with ice and tape the cooler shut with duck tape. I fly from Texas to Guam(16 hours from Houston, Texas) and the ice has not even started to melt. Do it every year, no problem. With the airlines as long as the weight is not over 50lbs(70lbs if elite status) all you have to pay is for the extra bag if they charge for an extra bag. If overweight it can get pricy depending on how much overweight.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
If you want to ship the entire elk home you can have it put on the plane or check into a local meat shop storing it and having a trucking company ship it with their frozen goods.  Lots of long haul companies haul from the west coast to various parts of the country.  Either way it is going to cost a fair amount.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I've shipped quite a bit of meat via overnight ups and it's very doable. However, a frozen elk with dry ice in boxes is gonna run you about a grand.

Good luck,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
I've gone the cooler as a second piece of luggage.  A second checked bag is $25-50 on most airlines up to 50#.  Extra charge if you go overweight. You do run the risk that the bag can get lost, but in most cases even then you would have it within a day of your return.  If the meat is well frozen before hand and it is a good insulated cooler, you still should be fine.  

The post office only guaranees overnight delivery from certain zip codes, so check ahead of time to see what is available.  Even then, the cost of shipping a heavy package can be pretty extreme.  I would rather fly with my meat and ship my clothing and hunting gear home by parcel post.

Oh, and absolutely no dry ice in the cooler if you are flying.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Watch about taping your cooler shut before you check in...I've had to unwrap it before to prove what was inside. I usually carry a roll of duck tape in my carry on.

The best thing is an F350 dually with a 400 quart cooler in the back.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Stan I had 2 hogs processed and shipped home from Texas to Virginia this past February.  The total on both the processing and shipping cost me almost as much as the hunt. I won't be doing that again. That had to ship next day to prvent the meat from spoiling.  I think paying the extra check on bag at the airline is a far better way to go.  the shipping alone was right at $300.  

I wish I had read this thread before that hunt   :banghead:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
I have done both. In 2001 I flew back with an antelope from Denver to NY in a cooler as checked baggage. It was a month after 9/11 so there was no charge. Did carry duct tape and taped the cooler closed after they checked it for contents.
2006 I hunted mule deer in Wy. Took it to a butcher which cost $68. Well worth it. My buddy froze it all at his house then overnighted it to me with meat, hide & horns. Cost me $250. Was worth not having the hassle from the airline. Elk would cost much more d/t the size.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »
Thanks all for the replies.  Looks like I'll go the airline route and pack duct tape in the carry-on.

BTW, this is making the awfully big assumption that I actually shoot something...  :rolleyes:  ...guys gotta dream  :)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 04:50:00 AM »
the one thing I'll say about flying is make sure you do your homework on it....not all airlines are created equal here, some have drastically change and continue to do so.

I typically fly home on a yearly basis, and have friends that come up here and fish only to find out things have changed just in the time airfares are booked to the time they fly home....can be extremely spendy.

I will say fed x is crazy high to ship a fish box home.

Look at all your options, ground in a cold trailer is likely going to be your cheapest if logistically it can happen.   There is no ground cold tractor tailer rigs I know of going from AK back to the lower 48.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Duck tape in your carry on is illegal.  My buddy about got strip searched in Seattle when we were going Caribou hunting.  Man it was funny.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
Seems like the best low cost approach is to eat fast after you kill him.   :biglaugh:

My buddy brought back one cooler of meat last year after giving away most to his guide and it cost him $150 for the single cooler on the airlines.He had to take the tape off the cooler for inspection and re tape it for security then throw the roll of tape away before boarding.No telling what the cost or changes in things are this year but you certainly need to check with the airlines on your way out.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Went on an antelope hunt in Montana last year and two of us had to fly meat, cape and horns home.  We had the local meat locker process the 'lopes and they froze it over night.  We put the frozen meat in coolers that we bought at Wal-Mart.  No additional ice or anything.  A friend on the trip had done this numerous times and the meat was always still frozen when he got home.  Unfortunately, we had a delays and missed flights due to the airlines incompetence, which is getting more and more common nowadays.  The meat was fine when we got home 24 hours later than planned, but it was just starting to thaw.  Oh and someone stole half the meat out of my friend's cooler.  No lie.

The reason we didn't add dry ice is because we were told by one airline worker that dry ice was illegal on flights.  But then we had two other airline workers tell us it was legal in very small quantities.  So check the regulations of the airline you're using and add some dry ice if you can.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
A trucking company is your best bet. Do some research and find a carrier with a drop off depot closest to your hunt location. Up here it is very affordable. We shipped almost 1000# of meat from Vancouver Island to Ontario for $160.00 delivered to the door in reefer truck. We had option of shipping frozen or refrigerated but not frozen. Used this option a bunch and always works fantastic.

If you have to fly, frozen in coolers is all you need - no dry ice required. Remember the cargo hold is cold at 40,000 ft.
hunt it

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I just talked to Delta.
Silver Medallion: 1st Bag @ 70# free. 2nd Bag @70# free. 3rd bag @ 70# $25.00.  Must be in well-sealable container (cooler but not styrofoam). Antlers must be 120" or less, tips protected, and skull clean and covered. Cost for antlers is $200.  Most people fly with checked meat but ship antlers separate due to high cost.

If not silver medallion: 1st bag @ 50# $25, 2nd is $35 and 3rd is $125.  Same price on antlers.

A limited liability form must be completed stating Delta not responsible for spoilage or damage.

My buddy in Oregon said to expect 200-250# of processed Roosevelt bull. I'd have to mail my bow and hunting duds. I could check 3 coolers with about 180 #'s of meat (figuring cooler at 10 pounds?)for $25.00.  I don't know what the 4th bag would cost for silver medallion. For a bag between 71-100 pounds the over wt charge (silver medallion) would be $175 per bag -- ouch!

My buddy (not silver medallion) would have to pay $195 for 3 50# coolers.

Hope this helps a bit.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Bowwild, what is silver medallion? is that a class of flight? I think Delta flys into Lewiston Idaho near where I will be bear hunting in Sept.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
The only problem I've found with calling the airlines is; you can call them back tomorrow and get a different answer  8-(
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Razor...
Delta has different flight status levels based upon the miles a person flies.  My job (which is archery thank Goodness) requires that I fly quite a lot thus the extra perks.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
By the way Razor, veteran's like you should be classified as Diamond Elite by Delta and never pay for bags and have a seat up front! Thank-you!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©