3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fastest bow today  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fastest bow today
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Turkeys....I agree with you, especially with your caveat that "certain styles of bows make this easier...."  I have bows that allow me to set my bowhand a variety of different ways if I'm careless. I have another couple of bows that are much more difficult to "grip" differently. Of course this is just one example of how the bow design, condition, etc. can make it more or less difficult to replicate form, shot execution, and follow-through from shot to shot.

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Yep, some bows are designed in such a way that it makes it more difficult for the shooter to mess up a shot but when all is said and done, it's the shooter that either messes it up or not.  

The bow itself is as accurate as the shooter allows it to be...or not.  Speed has nothing to do with it.

Think about this for a minute.  Let's assume I have a bow, say a Black Widow, that fits me like a glove, the grip is perfect, brace height is just where I want it, draws smooth and I am accurate as can be with it.  I mean I can absolutely drive tacks with this thing.  I'm shooting  an arrow that is 10 gpp at 183 fps.  Let me take the same bow, same grip, same brace height, same string, silencers, everything is the same except for the fact that I am now using an arrow that is 8 gpp and traveling at 206 fps.  Will this bow all of a sudden become inaccurate now that it's "fast?"

It's going to do what it's going to do, fast, slow or somewhere in between...unless of course I screw it up.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Turkeys: Based on what you are saying, then, it doesn't matter what bow a guy shoots. I, or anyone else,  can pick up any bow and it will shoot equally well as any other bow. For some reason that does not coincide with my experiences nor does it make any sense, then, that any bowyer would want to experiment and see if he can make his bows better shooters. I have shot bows that, for  me, were totally  too sensitive and inconsistent. Not all bows are created equal although most high quality bows today are all very similar in many respects. I do agree wholeheartedly with you that accuracy trumps everything. But, given the choice, I would prefer a fast accurate arrow rather than a slow accurate arrow.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I like fast bows. But I also like to shoot in the 170's fps. it's just what I'm used to. So for me a fast bow gives me two great benefits; a heavier arrow...good for penetration. a lighter drawing bow...good for my beat up shoulder.

now that right there is a win/win situation  :thumbsup:

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
As an arrow gets faster, the design of the broadhead and overall arrow flight is more critical and "finicky". We all want #1 accuracy.... due to : good arrow flight , hense well tuned, heavy arrows which equalls momentum on the arrow . Heavy arrows also quiet the bow. again another desired characteristic.
What we all want is quite simply a forgiving bow that has good cast, that feels good in the hand and we shoot accurately at hunting weight.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Some of you have convinced me - I'm going to Denton to find the slowest bow I can. Apparently they never miss and practicaly shoot themselves.  :D

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Good one Steve  :biglaugh: ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
"As an arrow gets faster, the design of the broadhead and overall arrow flight is more critical and "finicky".

No stick bow is fast enough to make one iota of difference in this regard if the arrow spine is correct and the head spins true. My wheelie bow will shoot magnus, razorcaps, stos, and eclipse heads at 270fps with remarkable accuracy to 80 yds. My stickbows, well thats all up to me and they only shoot in the 180's.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by SteveB:
Some of you have convinced me - I'm going to Denton to find the slowest bow I can. Apparently they never miss and practicaly shoot themselves.   :D  
:coffee:    :archer2:
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
I recently had a very reputable bowyer tell me the fastest bows out there now are the R/D longbows. I would like to here some feedback on that. I had always assumed ( I know Iknow ) that a recurve would hold that place.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
I just got a 80's Damon Howatt Hunter Recurve today (new to me)

It is 62" 90# at 28", who knows? It might be fast?

Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
"Turkeys: Based on what you are saying, then, it doesn't matter what bow a guy shoots. I, or anyone else, can pick up any bow and it will shoot equally well as any other bow."

No, that's not actually what I said.  You may want to go back and re-read my posts.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
Whats the topic again?
-just add effort.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »
Ill start.... Im shooting a 51 lbs @ 28 shooting 172 fps my arrow scales 532 gr. Im curious about others.
-just add effort.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Mine is in my signature below.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©