3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fastest bow today  (Read 2374 times)

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fastest bow today
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
Wrong sight for speed!! Who cares it is accuracy that counts.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 12:57:00 AM »
Bowmarks your on the money WHO CARES this is trad equipment .  :nono:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 01:27:00 AM »
Pretty sure I've never heard any of the better shooters or hunters I know (and I've known a few) talk about needing the fastest bow made to get the job done.  Another thing I've noticed they have in common--they can take most any bow, shoot it a few times, and do just fine with it.

Nothing wrong with a fast bow, if you can hit what you are aiming at and it doesn't blow up on you the first time it's pulled to 28".  It looks good on paper,  but I'm not convinced there's enough speed difference in most to make a real difference in yardage estimation--seen it too many times, done it too many times when shooting different bows at the same tournament.  Some days I shoot the faster bow better, some days it's the slower one.

At any rate, it should be made clear that a few extra fps is no substitute for practice, tuning, good instruction, etc.  

A good archer can take a 150 fps selfbow and shoot it well.  A good hunter can take that same bow and make meat with it.  The fastest bow in the world (pick one) won't make a lousy shooter accurate, or a lousy hunter deadly.

Need proof?  Watch some old clips of Fred Bear, Ben Pearson, Howard Hill, the Wilheim brothers...they shot what would be considered slugs by today's standards...and who can begin to shoot as well as they did?

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
My fastest is an "Early" Morrison T/D 62" 62# bamboo core R/C limbs... I realize this is a bit on the light side at 6.9 ggp however I get a constant  220 fps with it shooting 29 1/2 GT 5575's with 145 up front.

When hunting season arrives I jump up to 230gn [with steel inserts] single bevels or 250gn 1 1/4" VPA screw-in's.  This brings the wt up to the 530gn range which I use in which ever bow I choose to hunt with that day... I have never cronoed this set up  :confused:    :archer2:  

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 06:05:00 AM »
I'll say it again. A bow that is capable of launching an arrow at high speed is an efficient bow in design and therefore has good cast. If that bow is sound in craftsmanship, quality, and durability then what does it hurt that it shoots with great speed? If you can get it to shoot quietly, usually with a couple of string silencers, then that speed can equate to better penetration on game with a relatively heavy arrow. And also, you can get away with shooting that fast bow at less poundage and it still be very adequate for hunting. Less draw weight usually means better form and generally easier to shoot accurately.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline KumaSan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
Fedora says his bows were proven to be the fastest, but my Morrison Shawnee, and my Shafer Silvertip are rocket launchers. I believe I saw in a test that the wheel bows obtain their speed from an arrow in the 5ppg range, and we should not shoot something that light in our trad bows.

I found in the past that a 47# Bear had no problem shooting through a deer at 20 yards, and it was probably in the 170 fps range.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
The original question was about the fastest bow...not about whether it was good or bad. Many of the points made are good ones but the fellow still would like to know about the fastest bow. I've been shooting since the early 50's and even way back then most guys appreciated a fast bow. Groves and the Red Wing Hunter were very popular for that simple reason.

Here is what I think about fast bows. RH Clark is pretty much in the same boat I am. With advent of the ILF recurve limb being brought into the hunting scene you will be hard pressed to find bows that are as fast and accurate. They are very efficient weapons in all catagories. Since they can shoot very light arrows without damaging the limbs some speeds that have been reported are remarkable. Now, if such speed is necessary or desisreable in a hunting situation is up for debate because personal factors come into play. For example, when my wife wanted to bow hunt I went on the hun for the best bow for her. Long story short....I got her a DAS bow with ILF limbs. She can shoot a 45# @ 26" bow comfortably and I make her arrows about 500 grains (they just came out that way once I got them to be shooting properly). I can't tell you numbers but with the WIN&WIN carbon foam limbs she shoots she gets remarkable speed and performance and a very stable and efficient bow. It allows her to hunt without even to have to consider using a compound, and as I have commented on this site more than once, she consistently shoots thru bear and deer with four blade heads. IMO, speed and efficiency are very important if you want to pack enough punch to hunt with confidence when you have to shoot a lighter weight bow with a short draw.

In summary, you can play with many of the new ILF limbs and risers and depending on the arrow you shoot you can achieve some speeds that are just phenomenal.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline aroadik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
For what it is worth,I shoot a 21"Dalaa with Dalaa carbon foam recurve limbs (45#) and stock 8125 endlss string.Chroned (average of 6) at 192 fps @ 28" draw and 9 gpbp arrow finger release, I use a 8.7gpbp arrow (for conpetition) which is perfectly tuned and get 195 fps with this settup, I consistenly out penetrate other heavier bows with light or heavy arrows, and (much to my surprise)I shoot it accurately ! Works for me. Cheers Pete.
non traditional longbow shooter

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Slow hit or fast miss?

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
How bout a fast hit.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
You can count on one hand the fps difference in most of the top bows available so picking one you like and can shoot best is a better usage of your time.:)The difference in speed between the slowest bow and fastest bow that is legal hunting weight will never make an difference in killing.It will also make no difference doing anything most of us use a bow for once you get used to the bow.I am all for fast bows but know it really is not much difference in any of them once setup the way I want to use them.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by K. Mogensen:
Slow hit or fast miss?
Slow miss or fast hit - makes as much sense.
And neither addresses the original question.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
Okay, what's the fastest bow on the market? I have no idea. Speed's nice but not neccessary. If you want to shoot something fast, buy a compound or a cross bow. I've just always summed it up as Slow hit or Fast miss but you guys shot holes through that un.

I'd rather have a slow bow that I can shoot accurately than a fast bow that I can't, but that's already been said...

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
At 20 yards what is the real difference in drop between a fast and not so fast arrow ?
ChuckC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
The original question was about the fastest bow...not about whether it was good or bad.
Exactly!   I don't know why folks get so offended when someone wants to talk about speed as they apply to trad bows    :dunno:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
The original question was about the fastest bow...not about whether it was good or bad.
Exactly!   I don't know why folks get so offended when someone wants to talk about speed as they apply to trad bows      :knothead:      :help:
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
Officially tested at 10 gpi , 28 in mechanical draw, mechanical release was Centaur at 201fps.Several other bows are right there including Ken Roloffs , Whippenstick and Sasquatch and Eaglewing./Ach under same test conditions was 191 fps.Check out the WTT threads for controlled, accurate , equal testing, For recutves , my Eaglewing Talon and the Border Hex 5 would do the trick , Both close in design , Hex 5 is an ILF top mount and Eaglewing is back mounted , both tight recurves with static tips.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Okay, I am not a speed freak, but if someone wants to get some extra speed have at it.  HOWEVER . . .

With speed comes noise.  The speed of sounds is roughly 1500 fps, so even the fastest compounds of today still cannot outrun a deers reflexes.  The only benefit to speed is trajectory.  Generally speaking flatter trajectory makes it easier to shoot at longer ranges, but if the bow is noisy again . . .

All I'm saying is that if your goal is hunting, I would much rather find the quietest bow vs the fastest one.  I think it is funny when my wheelie buddies obsess over speed and forget about the simple effective bow and arrow combinations(ie arrow weight) just to make up some ground as far as speed goes.  

I am not saying that is your goal, its probably just a question of curiosity, I'm just throwin some knowledge at ya  :)
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
One of the reasons the reflex/deflex longbows are so popular is because their design inherently invites speed into the equation. When  bowhunters talk about them shooting like recurves, the discussion is really almost always about the speed they gain over the old style Hill type longbows. I don't know anyone who ever sold or traded a bow because it was too fast. On the other hand I know of more than a few that did get rid of bows because they were disappointed in the speed. That's a fact!

As to the fastest bow....I just got a set of 57# Border HEX 5 limbs for my DAS riser. It is the fastest bow I have ever shot. It is also one of the most accurate...but the speed is there is spades and it is faster, I think, than my 60# Winex limbs with the same arrows. I don't know if Border makes THE fastest bows but they are right up there with the best of them.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
I'd bet that every guy on here that is saying speed don't matter is hunting Whitetail from a stand and shooting 15 yards max. They are right, speed doesn't matter to them. 20 FPS at 15 yards is about 2 inches in drop, not enough to matter. Any one want to guess what 20 FPS at 30 yards is, it matters. Everyone needs to get off their high horse when someone asks about speed.

Like some say here, when all is equal. why wouldn't you want a better performing bow.

Just because someone is asking what's the fastest bow, you all instantly think he going to shoot 7 GPP. He could be shooting 12 GPP and still wants to know what the fastest bow is.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©