3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fastest bow today  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fastest bow today
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:

Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
The original question was about the fastest bow...not about whether it was good or bad.
Exactly!   I don't know why folks get so offended when someone wants to talk about speed as they apply to trad bows     :dunno:  [/b]
Because the silent implication in a question like that is that speed is necessary to kill game. That was my interpretation when I posted earlier in the thread.
I apologize that I did not treat this as a simple question devoid of any agenda. Useless posts when someone is seeking a particular answer is a pet peeve of mine and I fell right into the trap.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
The original question was about the fastest bow...not about whether it was good or bad.
Exactly!   I don't know why folks get so offended when someone wants to talk about speed as they apply to trad bows      :archer2:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
I don't know what is the fastest bow? But I do know the Brown Recluse Carbon Spider and Seminole Chief should be in the top 10 list.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
I shoot a fast bow but I don't shoot fast arrows!

I have a relatively short draw length and I only shoot 48# at my 26.75" draw. So, with my "handicap" I like shooting an efficient bow. My Pittsley Predator serves that purpose very well, but I still choose to shoot a fairly heavy arrow at 11.5 grains per pound(gpp). The combination of short draw length, moderate to low draw weight, and heavy arrow, brings my speed down to only 161 fps. But, a less efficient bow would have me shooting much less speed and therefore more of a rainbow trajectory than I already have. I have a fast shooting bow but I use it to launch a slower, heavier arrow resulting in a reduced arrow speed, yielding better penetration on game.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Mine of course!  :bigsmyl:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Personally, I could care less. My Brack Quest is a fast bow but I shoot heavy arrows so speed is not important to me. I want a bow that will cast a heavy arrow efficently.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
I'm sold that I've found the holy grail of bows for me! I'm shooting a Border BD triple carbon spine riser and Hex-5W limbs. This bow has no hand shock, is ultra smooth on draw and is easy to shoot accurately. It seems fast enough for me, don't have a crono, but it's obviously a fast bow!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
I thought that A@H claimed that there bows would shoot faster than any other bow made because of the design.

I have owned one and have another one comming and i have to say that they are very fast bows.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Speed does not have to be a bad thing.It should be just one of many criteria for judging a bow but I don't think we need to totally dismiss speed just because we shoot a trad bow.

All else being equal including noise,take two identical bows.Both exactly the same but one will shoot the same arrow 10 fps faster.How many would pick the slower bow just because they were doing things the "TRAD" way?

My point is that with some of the designs and materials today we don't necessarly have to give up anything to have a more efficient and yes,"FASTER" bow.

Offline Mr Green 740

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
It seems to me whenever a thread involving anything about the improved performance of bows comes up there has to be such a negative fuss about it. If you aren't interested in it simply move on to the next thread! There are a LOT of us here who enjoy learning about the new technology and appreciate the info and I personally don't want people like me to not post their questions or tips out of fear of getting bashed by the Herd for not being trad. Some one posted who cares about speed. This is trad. What does that mean? In order to be trad you can't stay tuned to current advances? Trying to be a gentleman but SHEESH!
Evolutionary Traditionalist

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
One of the reasons the reflex/deflex longbows are so popular is because their design inherently invites speed into the equation. When bowhunters talk about them shooting like recurves, the discussion is really almost always about the speed they gain over the old style Hill type longbows.
You've talked to different people than I have, and I am one of those guys that much more prefers a deflex/reflex longbow over a straight or reflex design.  

The simple reason for me is the lack of handshock vs. the others.  The selfbow I built is also deflex/reflex, and for the same reason.  It's no speed demon, but it doesn't kick my arm out of socket either.  That's the overwhelming reason the people I've talked with shoot deflex/reflex longbows...and selfbows.

Because the silent implication in a question like that is that speed is necessary to kill game.  
Bingo.  Nothing wrong with a faster bow, but it's been misused and abused as much in this side of the sport as the other--you've "got" to have this or that or the other, else you just aren't an ethical hunter and you'll never kill anything and you'll never hit a target past 15 yds, etc. etc. etc.  IMO it's become little more than a selling point and a quest for bragging rights.  

Someone who can't hit a barn from the inside can still brag about owning the fastest, most expesive, hardest to get, etc.--and there will be people who are impressed by it.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
I've shot quite a few of the bows purported to be among the fastest, as speed used to be one of my top priorities when looking for a bow...now I mainly look at the design of the bow as it relates to stability and a forgiving shot...I also try to look for info on the smoothness of draw and low hand shock.
The fastest bows I've shot, at least to my perception, have been a Turkey Creek Double Carbon longbow (no longer advisable to buy one new), a DAS Master with Samick Extreme limbs (just a bit faster than Winex), and a Border recurve with Hex4 limbs (Hex5 would be even faster). That being said, my Schafer Silvertip was very close in speed, and my favorite shooter amongst the wood-riser bows. Honestly, the top recurves and D/R longbows out there don't have a huge difference in speed between them, so it really comes down to other variables, IMO, including which bow fits you best as an individual.

Craig

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
I sure like the speed of both my NEW Shrew Classic Hunter 56" longbow and my NEW Cari-bow Wolverine 58" longbow- these both toss an arrow at warp speed but do so in a stealthy, unassuming manner. Light and no hand shock at all PERIOD!!! Hard to put either down after you shoot a few arrows thru them. Andrew

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Anything Greg Coffee builds works for mEEEEEE :)mark #78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline hootie c

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for there imput,again all the bows I own are 40 to 50 years old,I really like the Kodiak specials 1960 models,mabey because I shoot them the best,now I do have a good idea on some fast bows if I choose to get one,now who has a BBD for sale I want one.God Bless you all!!!Joey

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
The Border Hex-5's have ruined me, all my other bows are for sale! just don't have time for them anymore. You'll like one if you try it!!! I will say at first I wasn't sure about it, but once I got it set up and tuned properly it's all I shoot! Best of luck

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
ishoot4thrills.  At my 26 inch draw you seem to be shooting spears to me!

Hootie,
Thanks for asking the question.  Sorry I couldn't add two cents about what I know about fast bows because I haven't chronographed any of mine. Some of the folks provided very specific information that was at least interesting. Others reinforced the importance of things other than speed which I'm sure you already know and didn't ask about, but we just can't help ourselves. Certain topics just send some of back to the basic truths of archery.  Maybe we'd hate for a newbie to peruse such a post and misread your interest and think that speed was the only or most important thing to successful and enjoyable bowhunting?

For me, and I'm a bit ashamed to admit being so shallow, but the appearance of a terrific custom bow fires me up. I love the beauty of some of these wood combinations even though the quarry I devote 25% of my archery time (Hunting season) doesn't give a toot about it. If it weren't for fine looking custom recurves, I wouldn't be back in traditional. In my defense I assume these top custom beauties to be good shooters or you folks (long-time traditional buyers) would have put them out of business long ago.  Frankly, I hope I outgrow this aesthetics-driven interest soon because it is getting expensive.  My lovely wife trumped one of my bows-on-order with a new frig today! When I order a new bow she smiles and says ...ka ching -- then I simply mentally double what I just spent.

Offline Str8Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
I think the OP would have gotten some better responses if he simply asked what bow was most efficient.  

If I'm shooting a 700 gr arrow at 50 lbs @28, I'd like to know if the bow was able to efficiently transfer it's energy into the arrow - resulting in more speed. It's certainly a more important consideration than what accent wood I'm going to have put into the riser (which many agonize over). It also says something for the bowyer's ability to design and produce an efficient bow.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Quoted by Bowwild: " Maybe we'd hate for a newbie to pursue such a post and misread your interest and think that speed was the only or most important thing to successful and enjoyable bowhunting?"

Although I admit I do love a highly efficient, yet accurate capable bow, you have raised an interesting truth and awareness to this subject. We must also be careful and emphasize that we are not recommending everyone has to have the fastest bow on the market to be a successful bowhunter. So, please don't misunderstand some of our desires to shoot efficient bow designs and translate it into being the most important thing when considering a new bow. But it sure doesn't hurt anything if it so happens that the bow you end up happy with is also very fast too!
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by hootie c:
I sure would like some numbers guys.God Bless!!!Joey
Then you need to define EXACT criteria. pull weight/arrow weight/pull length/ arrow length....yada,yada

All you'll end up with is numbers. Arrow speed is for compounds, usually expressed in feet per second. A fast BOW is one that allows you to get off a quick, accurate shot.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©