3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Contemplations about age  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Contemplations about age
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
57yrs now for me, been shootin bows for 40 of them. Don't see ever stopping, as long as I can pick up a bow. I remember when I bought my first real bow, my mom plumb threw a fit over spending the 40 bucks. Said in two weeks it would set in the closet and never be touched. She's still here and I remind her of that every now and again.

I never tire of watching arrows fly, God willing, its something I'll be doing till he calls me home. And then maybe after!!!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
60 ain't bad Bubba. I can still do everything I could at 30, just takes a bit longer on some things,LOL. Shoot everyday, course I am down to 60# bows instead of the 80# I used to shoot but I can still pull that weight. Fairly healthy except for high blood pressure and they have me on 4 different meds for that. Gettin some weight off so maybe I can change some of that. The flight of the arrow is what keeps me goin.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Hey Stone Knife what do you mean feel like a kid you are a kid and though I'm 15 years older than you I am too!!!!! And I intend to be until the day I die!!!!I shoot a hundred or more arrows on my clubs 3d course at least 5 times a week, walk at least 30 miles a week and going on my next elk hunt for a month in 1 1/2 months. If I kill one and I probably will I will pack it out on my back myself. Don't get old get better. FRANK

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Michael Golden:
Time to step down and let us young bucks have a JOB! I'm dealing with the older crowd not retiring at my job and it's getting pretty annoying. I understand things are tough out there, but if you are financially stable then it is time to retire. Why would you not want to retire you can hunt and fish all day! Just my opinion about retirement sorry about the rant.

Mike
Mike...that sounds familiar   :readit:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »
Thrill to see you older folks out bowhunting & shooting! Hope I can do it for awhile yet within my set my limits. Not anxious for the dirt bed; but, if so I hope it's while I'm out hunting. I've been blessed.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline wulf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
I'm 53 and have been fotunate to have inherited good genetics healthwise .  I've had no major illnesses but I've had my share of injuries.  Shoulder separation, broken back, broken arm, degenerating discs, and separated back muscles are the major physical ailments that try to slow me down on a regular basis.  I fight back by working out through the pain and limitations and it really helps.  I might not have that motivation if not for traditional archery.  I still plan on hunting elk with my bow for many years and if I get where I can't hike up that mountain or pull enough bow back to kill an elk, I hope some younger hunters will need a camp cook or roustabout and let me tag along.
Member: Compton Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
I'm 63 and have been in the hospital 3 times in the last 6 years for my heart. Like you said when I pick up my bow and go shoot it does feel so good to watch that arrow hit the target. I can't shoot as much anymore but it is still fun. I have learned that bodies do change pretty rapidly after a certain age. Plus it didn't help my body any by operating heavy equipment for 40+ years. That bulldozer really beats you to death.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
I turn 60 this Fall, been chasing a powersaw for the last 35 years, up and down on the old skidder, outside almost every day. Arthritis now and some joint problems, but feel pretty good. Feel really good to have found the bow and arrow. Hunt with a passion, think about it every day. Live in a big old farmhouse on 250 acres, beautiful wife of 32 years, two grown children.
Like others have said, just do things slower now, actually works out for the better on most things. Just keep your nose into the wind and the sun at your back - should be OK.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
The older you get the smarter you hunt   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Amen, brother!

Bisch

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I`ll second straitera.

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
My body is 57 but my mind is 27.

I jumped out of a boat the other day as it hit the shore to remove my weight therefore allowing the boat to beach higher (I've been doing that for years)....that night my right knee swelled up and I limped for 3 days.

We got stuck in low tide another day and I pulled and pushed a 23' freighter canoe for a couple of hours (not a big deal for me before)....my wife had to massage my back that night, I could hardly walk the next day.

etc.etc.etc. LOL...But... I am looking forward to many more adventures and will keep going until I drop (I'll just try to be a little smarter as you say).
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
I feel the same way guys. I hunt a lot slower now and see a lot I missed when younger, and really enjoy hunting off the ground. Doctor put me on potassium the other day and a stronger water pill. Legs are a lot better, peeing a lot LOL, but the pain is almost gone. Thank you God. Hopefully I can get a lot of weight off before the season and that will even be better.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
I was out to a local "Wally World" the other day and this older gentleman was getting out of his early 70's model Ford pickup. He and I were walking side by side going in. I asked...."How are you doing today?" He replied, "Son, I spent a grand total of 9 months gettin' into this world and have spent the last 85 years trying to get out of it......and any day on THIS side of the dirt is a good one."

There is a good message in that statement and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. Life is a journey......not a destination and none of us are gonna get out of it alive. I believe that people were meant to be introduced into our lives for a reason......and those few words from that gentleman sure made me feel better about my aches and pains.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
I'm 56. My best friend is 64. I've been blessed to date with very few health issues. My best friend Jim is at least as agile as me, climbs, hikes, shoots, etc. -- I can't tell any difference in him since we became friends in 1977.  It did shock me to ear him reply a couple of times this past year that he hoped to do this or that at least one more time (elk hunt mainly). I'd like not to regret too many things. However, economics prevented me from doing a lot of "big hunts" in the 30's and 40's. Now that I can afford these better I'm not as confident taking the plunge. However, I'm getting very serious about trying to bother a moose next season and check one of my bowhunting dreams off the list. Looks like it can be done for $4,000 including license, etc. (Newfoundland).

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
55 going on 30... shoot a bow and bicycle a couple thousand miles a year.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
I am 62. Had 2 operations last year that slowed me some. As I have gotten older I no longer want to kill things, I still get to the woods, now I just sit there and watch, I take my bow but don't pull on game very often.
The worst part of getting old for me has been losing several close friends, most died far too young. When I am in the woods or on the range, I find myself talking (to myself)to those buddies who can't be there with me anymore.
The best part of getting old is not having to work anymore and my shooting is better than ever. I have Rod Jenkins to thank for the improved shooting.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©