3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: a couple arrow building questions...  (Read 397 times)

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
a couple arrow building questions...
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
what grain scale do you guys recommend using for weighing shafts... the digital one that you lay the shaft across, or the clip on one?? Also.. is there a standard length for the cresting?? thanks fellows!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a couple arrow building questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
Steve, I bought the pocket digital from 3 Rivers and it works great.  As far as I know there is no standard on Crown Dip it is all whatever you like.  I normally use 9" as mine.  Talk to you later.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
If you considere buying a digital scale be sure to read all the user reviews you can find on each brand you look at.  There are good and bad in all the price ranges.  I use a US Scales Magnum that will weigh up to 7000 grains (1 pound) for my shafts and am very happy with it.

Keep in mind too that shafts will vary in weight a little due to increased or decreased humidity levels so what weighed X amount where I live may be a different weight when taken to Arizona or somewhere with a drier climate.

Dennis

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
ttt for a good buddy,
TGMM

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
Your measurement precision will be higher with a digital, but check them out first like Aeronut said because precise inaccuracy is not going to help much.

I don't know of any standard for cresting and capping but there is a practical use that you may consider - end your cap, or put a certain cresting line, at the spot that marks your bow's proper brace height.  Your arrows can act as a bow square type measure for you to see if bh is right or if the string needs twistin'.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
good ideas forester... thanks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©