3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bareshaft tuning for broadheads  (Read 251 times)

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Bareshaft tuning for broadheads
« on: July 13, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
There may not be a one size fits all answere for this, but I thought I would ask.  If I bareshaft tune with field points do I want to get a perfect tune, or should I be a little strong or weak?

I am planning on shooting Grizzly's out of my old Pearson Strato-Jet, but I want to get the right weight figured out before I order them if possible.
I am shooting 1916's and getting great flight with about 195 total grains up front.  Should I try to shoot for that weight combination with the Grizzly's, or has anyone had some different experience with this sort of thing?

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bareshaft tuning for broadheads
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
I like my bare shafts to hit 1 inch low and 1 inch right of my fletched shafts.  I find this gives me perfect tuning when checking my fletched field point to fletched broadhead arrows.  One I get the original tuning right.  I have not had to adjust anything but brace height to get the broadheads and field points shooting to point of impact.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
i tune just a little on the "stiff" side of things. Usually works out well when you add a broadhead. I guess it is due to the length of the broadhead vs a field point.
If you are consistant enough to shoot perfectly, it sounds like Clay has a good layout. Unfortunately I don't. I shoot about 3" groups at 20 yds, so i just judge bareshaft flight with paper. I have a friend that shoots as it seems Clay does. It makes me jealous in a good way, i love to watch salty shooters!!
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
I find I can't really see what a bare shaft does for being correctly tuned until I get out about 25 yd. or so.  Less than that and a lot of combinations fly to about the same place for me.  Particularly with high FOC carbons.  I can't shoot so accurate I can tune 1-2" low when I get that far out most days.  I can shoot 6" groups some days, but the bare shaft will mix in.  So I look for a bare shaft that flies a hair weak and then fine tune until it is in the group at longer range.  I also shoot out to about 35 yd.  When I see a shaft that most times flies about in the group, flies a hair nock high and weak over that distance, and gets all the way there without correction where the shaft swings around, I am good and my broad heads fly well.  In the end I always end up fine tuning with the BH anyway, but this gets me real close.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
I like my bare shafts to hit 1 inch low and 1 inch right of my fletched shafts.  I find this gives me perfect tuning when checking my fletched field point to fletched broadhead arrows.  One I get the original tuning right.  I have not had to adjust anything but brace height to get the broadheads and field points shooting to point of impact.
Good, sound, advice right there.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Is the "low and right" for a right handed shooter?  I'm a southpaw, so I usually have to reverse everyone's advice!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
I would say totally scrap the tuning for broadheads with field points! Find what tunes close and then fletch a couple up and SHOOT the broadheads, making changes until they are perfect. The field points will likely be so close to how the broadheads fly you won't really care. I have found that there can be big misses in tuning unless you get lucky every time just tuning field points and then just putting on broadheads. It gets you close, but you really need to get those broadheads flying great, and then the fieldpionts. Plus, they are easier to tune because you can really see a kicking arrow or nock high/low vs with a field point. Just don't bare shaft a broadhead and trust your shooting form. If it is all over the target and you usually are quite consistent, something is wrong and work to fix it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©