3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I am going Moose Hunting!  (Read 716 times)

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
I am going Moose Hunting!
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
My boss of 15 years is sending me moose hunting! I am on cloud nine. My hunt is booked with Victoria Outfitters and Lodge in Newfoundland. Any body with any moose experience please give me some pointers. I checked there web site WOW! 85 to 95 percent success. Not real sure if there set up for bowhunting or more for gun do i take both? Any help would be great.Did i say i am pumped!!!! TD.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I am going Moose Hunting!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Take the bow and put the heat on them moose.  You can definately get a moose called in closer than you are comfortable with having it.  Sharp sticks make for more satisfying kills.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Wow, now that is a boss I am sure most of us wouldnt mind having!

Best of luck!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
That is AWESOME, go get gettum!!!  :thumbsup:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
I'll be up there in Oct. For the price, for those of us that have to pay our own way, lol, I'd bring a gun too, which I am. I'm gonna do my best to deflate one within three days, before I consider the gun. My biggest dilemma is...do I hold out for a mature bull, or take a lesser bull or cow. I'd hate to pass up a shot early, just to use the gun. I'll have an either sex tag. (but, I want a huge bull, of course)
Good luck.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
A bird in the hand...

Congratulations on the trip.  Is your boss hiring???  LOL
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
I will be there in Oct. as well i will have a either sex tag also.Really like to get it done with my bow.Has anyone hunted with this Outfitter? TD.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
I'm very jealous! go get 'em.  Your call on the gun. If it were me I'd feel like I compromised my values and weak if I walked away from the challenge of my longbow and took a gun the last day. I'd like to think I was stronger than that.

I did that once with a recurve and a compound and found I left the recurve in camp...I regretted it afterwards and still came home empty handed.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
A good rule to think about is "what would I shoot on the last day of the HUNT?  Whatever the answer to the question is shoot that animal anytime during the hunt that a shot is offered.

You won't be disappointed.  I have this conversation with everyone I take elk hunting.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Three stickbow friends and myself will be also in Newfoundland in October after moose. This will be the hunt of a lifetime for me and personally I would rather come home empty handed as kill one with a gun. This is just me though and I would not hold it against anyone taking a backup gun. I will be taking my Black Widow recurve and the others are shooting longbows. Good luck to you fellas and have a safe trip.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
Never been, but a friend of mine has.  The #1 lesson he learned is take lots of socks and two pair of boots.  He told me that the moose were in really boggy terrain and keeping his feet dry was impossible with what he brought footwear-wise.

Good hunting!
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline woodworker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
Take both, we can all talk of keeping faithful to the bow but these hunts are perhaps once in a life time and if you find the moose are holding up way out of range then go for the back up the next opportunity.  I would much rather take a moose with the bow too but working men and women have only so many opportunities like this.  From what I have read and heard from others, like stated previously wet feet and never underestimate the weather.  I would love to go myself so I hope you won't mind if I ask for the whole story when you get back, Joe

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
Cool that so many are hunting moose in Newfoundland. A good friend of mine from MD Bowhunters Society is headed there also for a bowhunt. I can't wait to pick his brain so I might follow in his footsteps next year.

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Have fun and keep us posted.  Share some stories and photos when you get back.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Dream hunt baby! Enjoy!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
leave the gun at home
Make a life, not a living

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
Heed Wingnut's advice.  If you'll shoot it on the last day, then don't pass it up during the hunt.  That's how I've always approached it and encouraged others to approach an elk hunt.  I'll tell you this...never had a disappointed hunter, myself included, who killed a spike or cow midway through a hunt.

Good luck on your hunt.

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
your gonna have a great hunt. more moose there per mile than anywhere else in canada.nothing better than getting your bull with bow. good luck

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks guys i am in the process of getting more info. I think there in the rut when i am going trying to find out average shot distance. Some nice bulls took with bows on there web site. I will be the only one with a bow in my party. This is absolutely the trip of a life time for me.Leaning towards taking my Black Widow and a 300 mag i am only going to get to do this one time. Wish me Good Luck! Thanks. TD.

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Leave the gun home!!!!
And practise hitting the refrigerator door from about 5 or 6 yds!!!!!  :saywhat:    :saywhat:    :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©