3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I am going Moose Hunting!  (Read 717 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I am going Moose Hunting!
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by TooManyHobbies:
...do I hold out for a mature bull,...
Sure, as long as you are okay with going home empty. With greater risk comes greater reward- and greater disappointment. Not an expert but the rut may be winding down. In maine where I grew up they where really into it in Sept.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Randal Blanchette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
No pics from the hunt?

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Hey Tim ,Welcome to Canada.sounds like alot of southern boys heading north this year and thats great!.How you hunt or what you take to hunt are your decicions and yours only.We all have our own beliefs and nothing is really right or wrong.I put my guns down many years ago and can't see myself ever hunting with anything else but my recurves and Longbows,but thats just me.I now take in the WHOLE hunt ,from the people I meet to all the other wildlife I encounter filling my senses with the total outdoor experience.If I get ann animal it just adds to my experience.I live in probably the greatest deer country in the world ,yet in the last three years I haven't loosed an arrow,yet every year it just gets better and better.Just my 2 cents worth and Enjoy yourself to the fullest my friend.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Decide for yourself what is most important and rank them in order. Remember only that you personally can come up with the answers. Example: Is it the preparation? Is it the thrill of the hunt? Is it experience getting close to game? Is it the shot? Is it the blood trailing? Is it the kill? Is it the camaraderie? Is it the scenerie? Ect………….Is it a particular combination?

Personally I had prepared three years for a 5 day whitetail hunt in Iowa. My goal was to thoroughly enjoy the experience and to harvest a 150+ class deer or nothing. Passed up two P&Y’s on the 1st & 3rd day then on the last day had a 160+ monster get close three times without presenting a shot. What an experience? I have never once looked back and wished that I had drawn on either of the two nice deer encountered earlier in the week. The preparation, the anticipation, the viewing of numerous big bucks and seeing 2 B&C’s in conjunction with the whole experience far exceeded my failing to harvest a deer.

Only you can decide what your priorities are and what you truly expect from the hunt.
Try to be realistic with your expectations of what will make this hunt an experience to remember.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
In 1995 I went on a Sitka blacktail hunt in Alaska with two buddies . We brought bows and guns . It rained like a skunk every day so we started out taking our rifles to scout . Yes I took some deer and no not with my bow . The last hunt I ever took a gun along . I've come up empty sometimes but also had some very successful hunts , I've never regretted it . But it is a personnel choice , you make it and you live with it , you don't have to answer to anybody .
  On a side note make sure your guide has bowhunting experience . I was in Alberta with a buddy bowhunting moose in 94 . His moose held up and wouldn't come in closer than 75 yards . We would call and move in on him and he would move back keeping that 75 yard comfort zone . We set my buddy up and moved back slowly from the moose calling every so often and he followed us back right into my buddies range and he took his first moose . Three days later we called a good bull which ran up to me at 5 yards but because of the small birch trees I couldn't get a shot . He got nervous and turned to leave and I stepped out from the willows and shot him at about 15 yards . Good deal . They are big and you can get them close if things go right , best of luck and enjoy yourself .

By the way best of luck to you also Bill K. I know you will enjoy yourself . Fred
Greyfox54

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
You will love Newfoundland. Cool people & awesome scenery. Look at it as an adventure, smell the roses & if you kill something, all the better. It is a beautiful place. Lots of walking!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
If you're happy taking a moose with a gun leave the bow behind, If you're not happy taking a moose with a gun leave it at home. The only time I've brought a gun with me on a trip of the lifetime(there's been many)was to Kodiak Island for protection from Bears.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Any moose with trad equip is a trophy. I would not advise holding out for a monster as Newfoundland is not known for monster moose period. Yes they do take some good ones each year but there are alot of small bulls. The small bulls will come in first 9 out of 10 times. If you get the shot you want I'd take it and be proud of your achievment. Size only matters when hunting trophy wives
hunt it

Offline goosespirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
Leave teh gun at home.  There are so many darn moose on NFLD, if you can't kill one with a bow you should quit bowhunting.  Any moose with a trad bow is a trophy

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
I hunt squirrels and a kill a doe/year with a rifle. It (rifle hunting) is different and I enjoy it. However, the vast amount of my time is spent bowhunting because of the extra challenge and tremendously long seasons. Personally, I would not take the rifle.  I'd make sure the terrain and the guide were well-suited for a high probability of a bowrange encounter with a moose.  Here's the litmus test I recommend. If you kill the moose with the rifle, when you are describing the hunt to your buddies (post-hunt story-telling is a big part of the enjoyment of hunting for many folks) will you have a bit of an apologetic tone for having killed it with a gun or not. If so, don't  do it. By the way, I'm not suggesting the moose, the hunt, or the hunter is a bit less or more based upon the equipment used to take the animal. It's all about what winds your clock.

In 2008 I sort of got "trapped" (long story) into an antelope hunt recommended to me by a collegue.  My buddy and I took our bows, no rifles. The rut was over, they weren't using waterholes, and the terrain was terribly open for getting close. We ended up borrowing my friend's son's rifle to fill the antelope tag. The son flew in to Casper to rifle hunt. We were excited at the time and I don't regret taking the animal. However, I still feel like I didn't get er done on that hunt. My poor planning was the culprit.  Irony -- we put the son in a ground blind and I sort of "drove" (walking) some antelope along a fenceline right to him -- his first bow kill was a buck antelope and we had to fill our tags with his rifle -- he sure had fun rib'n us, bless his little stink'n heart.

I just contacted a NFLD moose hunting guide by doing a search on Google. He sent me an e-mail right away with prices and a description of the hunt (7-day hunt - $4,500 for 1 on 1 hunt a bit less he said for 1 guide with 2 hunters). $5,500 for "trophy" hunt of 10 days. I was surprised it wasn't much more. Of course I'd have lots more investigation to do before selecting a guide. This wouldd be the first time in 45 years of bowhunting I would hire a guide. I'll be checking with my buddy who is going this fall (I'm planning 2011) because personal reference is what I'd trust most.

Offline zip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Tim;Good luck, I know you'll do well.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
wow!!! you lucky Dog!!! good hunting  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all the input. How about my boss! how do i ever repay him for this i also got a raise. His entire family has always treated me like one of there own. His dad has been my cut man for 15 years he know is 76 years old. His dad is like a father to me a great man.I have been very blessed to know this family! Thanks TD.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
Great bosses like that are rare. Congrats and have fun!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Tim

You may repay your boss in full by your continuation of your great work ethic, unyielding integrity, ownership and always striving to improve. Great bosses respect an employee who is exceedingly loyal, yet still maintain life's priorities.

Your boss' wonderful generosity may truly be a lavish display of meaningful appreciation and sincere respect.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
My best friend and I were taking off for an elk hunt in Sept. 2006.  When he opened his truck there was an envelope with $500 cash from his boss wishing him well! Totally unexpected. Of course I asked my friend to tell his boss I was going with him also the next time!

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Any more info or gear to take would be very helpful. I don't want to leave any stone unturned. Thanks for all the comments and help. TD.

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by goosespirit:
Leave teh gun at home.  There are so many darn moose on NFLD, if you can't kill one with a bow you should quit bowhunting.  Any moose with a trad bow is a trophy
Hehe, yeah, that's what I thought the first time I went. So many moose, how do I choose. It was my first big game hunt away from home. Not only did I not get a moose, I didn't even see one for the entire week (except the one my partner shot). Not the guide's fault, the weather was horrendous with torrential rain and wind from hurricane Juan.

Trip two, the guide and one of my friends talked me into bringing both the bow (wheels) and gun. After a full day hunting with the bow, we took a trip down river to check some bogs. I brought the rifle with me (STUPID). Sure enough, on the way back, a lone 9pt bull was with two cows. Yup, I got my bull, and it was cool. The ironic part, he was withing bow distance.

I will shoot the first adult moose I see this trip up, if given the chance, with recurve. If it were just me, I wouldn't take the gun. But, we all agreed (bow and gun hunters alike) that all meat would be shared. I want all of us to have plenty, so if I feel I must use the gun late in the week, I will. I'm planning a three day hunt to get my animal. Maybe four, but last day I will bring both weapons and hope for a bow shot.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Tim, what bow and gear will you be using?
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I will be using a Black Widow recurve 53lbs cx heritage shafts and a two blade head. Option no.2 300 Weatherby Mag.This bow combo has worked great on deer sized game i guess a 900lbs bull is a good one up there.I will have to keep my shot close 20yds max what do you think? Thanks. TD.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©