3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is all the fuss, Trad Archery must be simple!!  (Read 653 times)

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
What is all the fuss, Trad Archery must be simple!!
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
At Compton my wife and 2 little ones came with me this year. My wife shoots 1 time per year(this being her 2nd year), and I had to give her a 20 second lesson/reminder how to hold the bow, set the arrow, grip the arrow, draw, aim, release, and follow through. She is using a Howard Hill 40# 64" Redman with a straight grip.

Now, I am either a fantastic teacher or this just can't be that difficult because she hits the center of the chest of the beasts we are shooting at more than a lot of the regulars!! Of course I was proud of her, and of course she misses too sometimes, but jeeez, it just looked soooo easy!

Anyone else see this happen with rookies?

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is all the fuss, Trad Archery must be simple!!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
No, but I have taken two girlfriends bass fishing for the first time in their lives and both caught 4# bass on their first casts.

First casts!

In NJ a 4# bass is damn near a trophy.

I broke up with both of them.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
"I broke up with both of them."

Which just goes to show that it is just as easy to lose a 4# bass as it is to catch one!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
LMAO!

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
The first two years my wife started bowhunting she hunted a total of two (2) days, not even full days.  In those 2 days in 2 years she shot a nice 4x4 muley buck and a nice 4x4 whitetail--which is one the wall and bigger than anything I've shot.  They have all the luck!!!!!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 04:33:00 AM »
She has yet to cloud her mind with all the senseless formulas and jargon that alot of us feel is important. She just picks her spot and shoots. Instinctively.  There's that word again.

Newbys have the ability to enjoy shooting a bow for what it is without worrying about FOC, grains per inch, single bevels, etc.......
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »
Being around a woman who can do something better than a man (read: YOU) is not a bad thing. If you're smart, you stick close to her and somehow you come off looking better. Praise the good, don't feel inferior. There's always someone doing it better. Be thankful to be associated with her. Horror of horrors, maybe SHE can teach YOU a thing or two!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
I've found that when teaching someone new,no matter how old,if they have been a baseball  pitcher,they are usually a natural at shooting with a stick bow(A little bit of instruction is needed to start).Everyone else seemed to get it a touch slower but this stuff really isn't hard to learn.Practice is all you need.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 05:51:00 AM »
Biggie nailed it.  We think too much.  "Ignorance is bliss"...
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 05:58:00 AM »
So all I have to do is just stop using my hat rack & I'll get better?!   :pray:  

Man that's a blessing in disguise.   :biglaugh:
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »
"Ignorance is bliss"...Step aside Howard Hill here I comes!!!! Ignorance I got boat loads of Ignorance!!!
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
I don't know what you are talking about Matt, Thats how I always shoot.  :bigsmyl:
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
Bingo, Biggie!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
Biggie! Amen
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Just take her shooten at that special time of the month and see how she does! make sure she uses blunts I wouldn't want you getten hurt to bad...LOL   :laughing:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Find a nice hottie who looks good in a bikini and catches 4 lb bass all the time.  Keep that one happy and let her catch all the big bass she wants.  It all just makes you look good to all the other guys and improves the scenery in the boat to boot!
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Hey Now! I know my faults in shooting, and know why they occur, but I think it is great to just give the basics of instruction and BINGO, they really work!!! HILL STYLE of course

What is really great is that I have learned over the years to keep my mouth shut and give absolutely the minimal instruction so we can remain married for the duration of the weekend shoot! I don't need to be "served" on the following Monday!

Also, she really enjoys it. She grew up as an indoor girl and her family thinks I am like a wild indian, and over 15 yrs I think they look at their daughter a little more like that every year too. I am glad she enjoys shooting, but she will never be a hunter and has no interest in killing. I am fine with that and just glad she supports my addictions.

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
We all love (field) tips and bass...   :laughing:
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Matt you have a gift ,My wife won't take any direction from me I have to go through the kids.The closest she ever came to the woods was a few bushes at the mall.And Hill style is the best IMHO of course.Good on you and keep it up.Tell her she should join the gang!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©