3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Its a shame- and it was one of us...(sort of)  (Read 524 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Its a shame- and it was one of us...(sort of)
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
This past weekend I was able to scout a new spot that is inside a designated wilderness area. These places are pretty cool, because they usually have some pretty good stands of old growth, even if there might be signs of pre wilderness protection useage- like open range cattle operations, small mining claims or trappers cabins. Thats part of the charm- knowing they are protected and what is there, whatever it is, will always be there to be enjoyed for those of us who wish to walk into them. They have designated trails, but the idea is to "leave no trace" when you go off them.

Anyway, I was bush-wacking along and came across a 2-3 foot wide and over two mile long trail. It originally began as just flagged, as far as I could tell, one or two yrs ago and then has been improved over that time- most recently this 4th of July weekend. Some of the trees these guys cut down where as big round as my leg. They blazed a lot of trees too and cleared out anything on the ground around several wallows.
It was pretty wholesale alteration with no regard for others using the area. Or other hunters, for that matter, interested in feeling the special excitment of hunting game in a mostly untouched place. I counted at least 50 live trees they axed before I gave that up.
 The trail led right to a turnout at the end of a 4 wheel drive access that was on the edge of the wilderness. I checked the map and the trail is not on a boundry, the nearest being over two mile distant. And it is not a right of way. The trail was to access the wallows (without having to be bothered by the usual woods stuff) Like branches to duck under or fallen trees to step over.
I was pretty upset to find this kind of thing since these places literally belong to all of us. They won't retain what is so special about them if we all just decide to go into them and rules be damned blaze, cut and prune or litter our way to an easier hunt.

I plan on contacting the regional office for that area and hope they catch these jokers. I consider this kind of thing the same as poaching. The authors of the trail in question are stealing something from us, while giving our sport a bad name. In general they make a mockery out of the efforts most users put into keeping an area like this "no trace"
 I know the forest will reclaim itself- but, well, you get the idea. Don't be like them. We all deserve better.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Its a shame- and it was one of us...(sort of)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
Get in line son. There's too many to be sure that think the rest of us owe them. Sad. Let enforcement handle it.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
Let the forest service know and they will sort it out. I would bet on an outfitter of some kind.  Most slobs who would do that kind of thing would never make that much effort to do it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
Its possible that it was the forest service blazing a new trail for some reason.  Especially since they were using axes.  There are teams of people living in the wilderness all summer cutting/maintaining trails with saws and axes.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
I agree, it's rough to see others abuse a thing we have high regard for.

Most USFS rules and regs are the same across the country. If it is a wilderness area, no gas motors of any kind can be used, even by Forest Service personel unless a wildfire status has been issued.

An emergency dispensation can be granted to use modern equipment to cut firebreaks though, if I remember right.

Talk to your Regional USFS personel. They will know if it was an authorized cut, but most likely have no idea about it if it was an illegal incursion.

Again, I agree with you. Some people have no respect for our natural resources. Unfortunatly I see it everyday.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:18:00 AM »
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 06:07:00 AM »
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Hopefully I can contact them this week. I will drive up and show them the trail if need be. Otherwise its in their hands.

On a side note I did see a cow elk and some large bear scat... big scat means big bear right? ;0)

Joshua

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Don't plan on contacting them.  Do it.  Right now.  Send them an email with the above post and the location.  I have found some things on public lands and have been pleased with the responses of the authorities.  If you can locate the spot on Google Earth and save a screenshot, or better yet email a placemark to them, all the better.  Thanks for helping protect our heritage.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Getting a good GPS coordinate to them if you have on is always a big help too. Our local Forestry Service personnel take this stuff very seriously.  I know of several local prosecutions for similar incidents here.
Clay Walker

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
You may find though it was the Forest Service that did it in the process of building a new trail.  I've had a couple places ruined by them in the name of "improving" access.  I can't see an individual flagging then clearing a trail like you described.  

After all the forest belongs to the Forest Service and you are the intruder. At least that's the way they act sometimes.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
If this has a connection to Archery and Bowhunting I must have missed it.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Contact the Forest Service.  Let them handle it.  It is a shame that people do things like this in areas that are supposed to be kept natural.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
As mentioned earlier, it quite possible was the NFS.  Last year they came right through the area, designated wilderness area,  I was elk hunt in on dirt bikes.  They were hot rodding around doing donuts and jumping moguls in the meadows.  When confronted they said they were taking pictures of and checking out the trails.  To say the least I was disgusted with them.  

Good luck reporting it but I doubt it will do any good.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
If it is Wilderness area (no motorized vehicles even for the FS).  Ok on FS land that is not designated "Wilderness".

Mike

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
Yep..that's what I thought, too.  But apparently they can do whatever they please.  It was in the Piedre Wilderness area NW of Pagosa Springs

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Put out an old trail camera by the turnout and get a couple of pics of them and then you have evidence, and that is what they are going to ask you if you have.Then they can have a good case.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
Bjorn,

I think the tie to archery is that he had the spot dialed in for his archery hunt and then the place got mowed like a lawn.
Clay Walker

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
If this has a connection to Archery and Bowhunting I must have missed it.
I was scouting an area that I plan to bow hunt elk in this fall  and (the trail etc) is a interesting topic in regards to bow hunting wilderness areas IMO. However, if this is an off topic subject I will understand. Got riled up is all.

Joshua

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
i was a national forest service employee when i was younger,whenever we cut hiking trails in wilderness area we were required to use axes and nothing gas powered.what color were the flags? that will tell you what it was if the usfs did it. i think orange was hiking trail and blue was survey trail but not real positive.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©