3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrows for vintage Bear bow  (Read 149 times)

Offline rta308

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows for vintage Bear bow
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
I have a Bear Grizzly and need help selecting arrows for this bow. I would like to shoot would but don't know anything about wood arrows. The draw weight is 51# pounds at 28" but my draw length is 27". Are the wood arrows durable or should I use carbon? I haven't shot traditional much but would love to kill me a deer with it if I can figure it out.
Thanks
Travis  :help:
To God be the Glory!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows for vintage Bear bow
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
You should be fine with either wood or carbon.

The older Bears shoot wood arrows very well, and wood arrows are inexpensive and easy to work with. I would start with wood. A 50-55 spine wood arrow should tune in nicely at somewhere in the 28" to 29" BOP range with 125 to 145 gr points and 5" feathers.

Have fun with it. Those old Grizzlys are solid performers for hunting.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
Hey Travis, wood is durable enough. I just put together some woodies and I really like them. As far as what spine to order, get ahold of some of the sponsors on here and ask them what they recommend. With the bow I shoot and the weight I want up front, Ted at Raptor Archery recommended 60-65# shafts for me. Good luck and have fun.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline rta308

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Smokin Joe,owlbait, thanks for the help the bow seems to hit harder than my compound when I tried an old carbon arrow that I hade but I like the wood and think that it would be more traditional and quieter.I was just cncerned about the durability while practicing.
To God be the Glory!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
They are plenty durable and will withstand a fair amount of abuse but will not hold up to direct hits on rocks or glancing blows to sides of trees too well.  You must maintain them by checking frequently for splits which would render an arrow unsafe to shoot and check for straightness a lot.  If left outside overnight and found the next day they usually will warp a little but can be easily straightened.

Busted off tips can be repaired using Reparrows so no problem there and I glued up a small split in the nock end and replaced the nock and it is holding well.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Second what Smokin Joe said.  Good luck...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
I just got off the phone with Rick at the Feathered Shaft and he is building me a 1/2 doz. Surewood shafts and tipping them with my Bear Razor heads for my 71' Kodiak that is coming in a few days. You definitely cannot go wrong with wood and old Bears.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©