3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Possible move...  (Read 459 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Possible move...
« on: July 14, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
It is a long shot, and a long ways off still, but I was wondering if the members here could offer up any advice about hunting, fishing, and any other outdoor activities in the areas of Southern TX, AZ, CA, and NM. I would, of course, be interested in types of game, bag limits, ease of obtaining tags for residents, length of season, public lands, etc. Generally anything that could sway my choice one way or another. Thanks in advance.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Possible move...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
NM is a draw for elk with no preference pts. offered. I have heard some residents haven't elk hunted in their own state for years...not a plus in my book!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
See, thats the kind of stuff Im looking for. Thanks. And I agree totally.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline AZ_Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
In AZ you can hunt deer in most units with an over-the-counter tag, but the success rates are relatively low.  Elk are all draw, but if you don't mind going after cow elk, you can almost get drawn each year.

I will leave the fishing to someone else, I haven't fished in Arizona in over a decade...which tells you a little about how I good feel it is.

AZ has plenty of hiking, but unless you get off the beaten path it can be crowded.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
South Texas...hmmmm???  South Texas may be the best place in the world to hunt whitetail deer.  There are some real monsters down there.

Licenses are OTC and you must have a hunter safety certificate to hunt alone.  You can hunt pretty much continuous from September through December.  One thing you need to keep in mind about Texas is that there is virtually no public land in Texas.  It is mostly all private except a few areas that are state owned and operated by the Texas Parks and Wildlife agency.  If you want a regular place to hunt you must get a lease or own your own land.  Leases are not cheap anymore and neither is land.

Hunting is great in Texas.  We have whitetails just about everywhere, mulies and antelope in W. Texas, turkey, dove, qual, ducks, javelina, hogs, alligaters and tons of exotics.  Mountain lions are considered varmits in Texas and can be shot anytime.  Same with coyotes.  Fishing is great!

As far as South Texas....that's a pretty general term.  If you're talking close to the border I would not recommend that.  Things are starting to heat up on the border and until something is done I would not recommend moving to that area.

New Mexico is a draw state and so you can't count on being able to hunt regularly.  But if you do draw out, it has some of the finest elk hunting in the country.  Best to live in Texas and draw for NM.  Your also only about 10-12 hours away from Colorado depend on what part of Texas you live.  I live in W. Texas and my elk hunting spot is only 9 hrs away.

That's all I have for now.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
Thanks, keep it coming. This is what Im needing...
                         -Jamie

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Do you like public land? If so, Texas is pretty thin on that. Something like 98% of the state is private.  Az and NM have lots of public ground, but as stated earlier, if elk is your thing, they can be a tough draw. Arizona has huge bulls, but odds are pretty slim from what I understand. The border country is pretty scary now in much of Arizona.
What about southern Colorado? Lots to hunt there, lots of public ground, beautiful country.
I'm very partial to Wyoming, but jobs are scarce right now and the winters are as long or longer than your NY winters. Great hunting and fishing here, however. Elk, antelope, turkeys,whitetails and mulies can be hunted every year, and moose and sheep are a (slim) possibility. Bears and mountain lions as well. The fishing can be as good as anywhere in the lower 48 if trout is your thing. Scenery ain't bad, either.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Randal Blanchette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Arizona was really fun when I was out there a few years back. I asked to hunt on Native land because I knew someone there. It was near Tucson. It was amazing and I came back with some Peccary. I took my compound on that one, but I wanted to take the longbow. It just was not in the cards though. Maybe next time.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
would hate to see ya leave bro!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
I think I would look at Wyoming or South Dakota. I went hunting out there and was impressed with the amount of game I saw, that was a few years ago but it was great. I think I might look at Idaho also!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
Thats not where the possible job has openings. Very specific about Tx, NM, Az and Ca. Thanks everyone.
                         -Jamie

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
hmmm... border states?  I'd hate to see you go - don't see you much as it is!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishiwannabe:
Thats not where the possible job has openings. Very specific about Tx, NM, Az and Ca. Thanks everyone.
You must be applying with the Border Patrol...
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
I think I'd worry more about career opportunities than elk tags....  :saywhat:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Do you have lots of money? Texas has lot of hunting, but since 98% of the state is privately owned you have to pay to hunt a lot of places, day leases, year lease, or buy land yourself (please do this and let me come hunt it hahahaha).

Now because of the size of the state the size of the public land is fairly large, Sam Houston National Forest is 50 miles north of Houston, and is about 160,000 acres. Now if you are on the border then it can be a bit of a haul to get there.

For example it is about the same distance from NYC to Atlanta, as it is from Houston to El Paso.
When I moved down to Texas I did not understand how big the state actually was.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
If you move to Texas I'm going to be your new best friend, then you can invite me down to hunt   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
OK all thanks for the help. I ended up going with NM/West Tx.  ;)
                         -Jamie

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
California has plenty of opportunity, but primarily in the Northern half. We also have all the beauty, sorry SoCal-ers. Plenty of work, mild winters, warn summers.

What's your vocation? Work is slim in the country in general, but depending on what you do there's always niches.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
I live in NM and grew up in CO.  Elk hunting is very good here also muleys, javelina, antelope among other things.  The draw is a little difficult but better for bowhunters (I drew 3 of 5 this year) than rifle hunters.  Fishing is good but not everywhere as there is not a lot of water in much of the state.  Lots of public land and outdoor activities just may have to drive a ways depending where you are located in the state.  Good luck....Shawn

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Who will jump on Terry's bunnys???   :dunno:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©