3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Don't Brag (Advise for all married men)  (Read 562 times)

Offline Kajun Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Don't Brag (Advise for all married men)
« on: July 14, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Just want to let everyone know that one month has passed since I ordered my new Blacktail three piece takedown.  I was on the waiting list for several months, not with Norm, but with my wife.  I currently own a Hoyt Dorado, and this is a great bow.  I shot a few Blacktails at a couple of local shoots and was immediately bit.  I had to have one.  The feel of the bow and the groups I shot were unbelievable.  My grandfather was a carpenter, and my dad was a 60s tournament archer.  His bow of choice was a Wing Archery Recurve in Brazilian Rosewood.  There is something about a nice piece of wood that captures my eye.  I guess it is genetic.  Well, the other day my wife set up a golf course with some flags on sticks in our huge backyard.  She asked me to play.  No offense, but I don't play that game.  She was playing with practice balls, and most of her shots were between 15 and 30 yards.  After her begging me to play, I agreed that she could drive, or putt and I would shoot the stakes with my Dorado.  I did extremely well.  I was hitting her stakes almost every shot from whatever yardage she would assign me.  I was using judo points to keep the arrows from digging.  She then decided to hit some flyers and tempted me to shoot them with flu flu arrows.  Never hit one but if they were pheasants I may have had a fire lit for cooking.  I told her not to challenge me again, jokingly, and she said I may not need the Blacktail on order.  OOOPPPPS.  I had to backtrack fast.  I have been told that this new bow is my 21st anniversary present at the end of the month, birthday, Christmas, Valentine and Fathers Day for the next year and not to expect anything else.  My wife is great, but is very conservative with hobby money.  Well, I will never brag on one bow when another that is the "dream bow" is on order.  Let this be a lesson to all you guys.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Don't Brag (Advise for all married men)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Kajon, how long you been married? I learned many years ago to:

1.don't ever let her know about any money you have put away to buy new toys

2.don't let her know what you have ordered - sneak it in the house

3. pray you don't get caught...

4. If you do get caught, remember it is easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission

5. no, it really doesn't work that well at my house, either.

6.you probably should have let her beat you in the back yard game.
Sam

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Get her a set of clubs and call it a wash.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:

4. If you do get caught, remember it is easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission

My sentiments exactly.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Kajun Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Twenty one years of marriage.  I did the couple of beg for forgiveness and it is not to fun.  I love the comment "I hope my wife never sells my stuff for what I told her I paid for it".  This is a good one.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Pat McManus was a comedic writer for Field and Stream or Outdoor Life (sorry I can't remember which).  The funniest article (and great advice)I remember him writing was about buying a new gun. He bought the new gun, took it apart, and brough a piece or two in every week or so from his car trunk. His wife didn't think highly of more new guns but she didn't mind "parts". I guess she figured parts helped keep the old guns working and the new ones at bay?  I would think the same would work for takedown bows?

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:

I just fell out of my chair when I read this. Funny stuff.    :biglaugh:

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Good advice Dave.  
Roy, what do we do if all we have is one piece bows?
And ditto, Kajun Archer...
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
#7 Don't ever let her know how many of anything you have in your collections

#8 If she still questions you about one of your bows, just tell her that you've had that one for years

May not be foolproof, but it's worked for 32 years so far

Or, she's let me get away with it for that long
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
#8 is the key like NC Bowbender said.

Just shrug and say I've had it for years, I can't believe you didn't notice.  Of course you  have to have more than one or two bows to work this stategy.
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 02:29:00 AM »
I guess I am lucky.  I buy her one, I buy me one, on and on.  I never lie to my wife. I buy what I want and she then tells me what to order her.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 02:48:00 AM »
Funny I found this post today, as today is our 31st Wedding Anniversary   :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
If yer not man enough to say "look at what I bought" then you don't deserve to have it by sneaking around!  

Although I admit that I've said "look at what I bought" and when asked how much I'll drastically inflate the price.  Then once she's used to the high price I tell her the real price and she's relieved and happy that it's actually cheaper than she thought.

My brother in law lies and sneaks around trying to fool my sister about his toys.  Don't do it, it's not manly and women prefer men who act like men.

the chef

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
I know a lot of this is just joking around, But i used to sell bows and had a custemer that would buy a high end bow and make me keep it in the trunk of my car,(we both went to the same shoots) so he could shoot it untill the time was right to take it home, Man that woman sure was mean and thats no joke.
    m  my wife never said a word about any bow i buy, i never say any thang about what she buys ether.  :campfire:

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
My wife knows the UPS guy by name, I buy so much stuff, and the UPS guy is the one complaining about having to stop at our house so much! We use to to have a 4th floor walk up......that dude HATED me.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline harvestmoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
I'm 66 yrs. young, and everyone has his own way of making their marriage work.  Women are real tough to deal with let alone understand,but if there is one thing I have learned, is that women can be diificult to live with, but much more difficult to live without.  Do what you have to do, the consequences are all yours.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
I just bought a new fleshing machine and ordered a bow from South at Stalker recurves. I did a little slight of hand and sold 3 used bows to offset the pain...EXCEPT my wife found my receipt from the flesher and after doing some math she said "You owe me a vacation." I hope she doesn't find the receipt from South's bow...I may end up in a meat locker!

:deadhorse:
Mike Davenport

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
My wife never says a word to me when I buy another large ticket Item. But I have noticed my honey do list gets several items longer, like remodel the bathrooms and such.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
I try very hard not to put myself in the "position" to have to ask for forgiveness. I haven't ever "had" to ask for permission either. My wife knew what she was getting into when she married me a little over 30 years ago. I will say that we keep the "lines of communication" open and as long as she "knows" about it BEFORE I do it.......things are cool. I guess she figures that there are a whole lot "worse" things that I could be spending both "our" money and time on.

I wouldn't trade her for the world.....

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
I must be very fortunate.  On July 3rd, my wife asked what I was gonna do for the day, and I told her she was looking at it.  She asked if I would like to go to the local RV dealer and do some window shopping.  Well, I know what that means, so I was up and shoed in 2 secons flat.  We are now the proud new owners of a Jayco 26 Bunk House travel trailer.  

We are actually using it for the first time this weekend.  And she shoots with me and the boys as much as she can too.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©