3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Don't Brag (Advise for all married men)  (Read 563 times)

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Don't Brag (Advise for all married men)
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Man oh Man my heart bleeds for you guys. I traded my wife for a longbow years ago and it was the best trade I ever made!!Girl friends are much better than wives!!! You can have lots  of them, they can never question anything you  buy and if they do object to anything at all goodbye baby. Lots more at the next busstop. I'm a free man and happy for it. Frank

Offline stickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
I like to use the......oh I had this old thing for a long time.....dont you remember???? I showed it to you dear....im sure she knows but hey! what else can you do??

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
B/W lvr.  

I did that for a while myself after the first wife.  Your right it is fun, but not cheap, and you can boot em if they get saucy.  Then a few years later I found Tricia and I am a blessed man.  We never fight or argue, she loves to do the things I do.  I is very nice to have a loving wife around all the time.  The first wife on the other hand I was very happy to get rid of.  That woman was simply impossible to live with.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Ratatat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
With my wife I live by one simple rule:
It is always better for me to sit there and look stupid rather than open my mouth and prove it.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
You gotta lay the charm on them. My Wife bought my last two bows for me. I thank the Good Lord often for a great Woman.RC

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
I am working on the 6th year of marriage to my wife. We often disagree about my 'hobby', bowhunting... but I see her embrace it in several other ways... as far as the toys go... well, I sold all my toys after the birth of my son.  I found that my family was simply more important than a bow... now that is not to say I don't miss any of them (a Robertson Vision Falcon IV and Black Widow PSR III to be precise), but she respects the fact that I did.  I also am a big fan of writers like John Eldregde and his ministry Ransomed Heart.  His recent book about marriage was a real eye-opener to me.  I used to sneak around, a lot, and buy stuff.  Sometimes with very small purchases, I just don't get her involved, but when it comes to bows, I am up front now.  Someday, she and I will decide its time to order a nice bow or book a hunt/vaca someplace... I think its more important, for me, to be as honest with my wife as I can be.  In fact, we made a deal recently so that I can buy a hunting recurve for the fall...  :)
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
my dad gave me some really good advice when i was very young "buy all the toys you're going to want, then get married."

I'm working on it.  So far this year i've bought a kayak, and two bows, saving up for a third and fourth  :)
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
Sean,

Don't bother getting married until your in your thirties.  Then marry a young (trainable) girl. That gives you lots of time to buy toys.  By the time she has had two or three kids and gets into her thirties she will have mellowed out a bit.  Prior to that the kids will keep her and you busy.
Clay Walker

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
lol, nice Ragnarok.  My GF thinks i'm crazy for needing more bows but here are several reasons for buying more:

1. supporting economic recovery
2. home defense - no one comes back to the house where the guy pulled a long bow on them
3. hunting is more fun than grocery shopping
4. who ever dies with the most toys wins  :p
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Offline Teancum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Bowwild,

My favorite Pat McManus story is when he bought his wife a fur coat for Christmas because she complained he was always buying her things HE wanted. He hid the coat in the closet until Christmas Eve. Somehow, while sitting in the closet for a few months, it turned into a shotgun!  :bigsmyl:  

Originally posted by Bowwild:
Pat McManus was a comedic writer for Field and Stream or Outdoor Life (sorry I can't remember which).  The funniest article (and great advice)I remember him writing was about buying a new gun. He bought the new gun, took it apart, and brough a piece or two in every week or so from his car trunk. His wife didn't think highly of more new guns but she didn't mind "parts". I guess she figured parts helped keep the old guns working and the new ones at bay?  I would think the same would work for takedown bows?

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
You guys have never "Seen My Wife"!!! Ocassionally I do however.... Thats when the swelling comes down and I can SEE again    :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Gene,

Is that the " Wife Unseen Who Was Loved Most Effect"?  

I absolutely refused to go on a cruise with mine a few months ago.  BORING!  Plus, they wouldn't let me marlin fish off the fantail while running from port to port.  She said FINE! then your taking me bow hunting somewhere exotic!  

And....  I got lucky and we were invited to Australia to hunt with a fellow Trad Ganger.  I have this hunting season to get her seasoned on killing deer and elk with her longbow. Next summer the Chital Deer and Hogs in Queensland are in serious trouble.  

The only problem is that she is starting to shoot as well as I do and if she ever beats me out I am never gonna hear the end of it.  That smack talking is going to bite me hard here soon.
Clay Walker

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
The hardest thing with my wife is when she asks "do you really need that?".  Cuz most of the time I don't "need" it I just "WANT" it.  Thats when its time to get creative and start selling the idea:)

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
You guys are allowed to go hunting and buy new bows?  Dang, I'm going to have ask my wife really nice to read this post.  Oh wait, I hear something... be right back, I have to go clean the toilets!

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
I got married 3 years ago, my anniversary was yesterday. The year I was getting married I hunted hogs in Fl, turkey in Co and deer in Kansas just so she would know how serious I was about hunting. LOL  As all woman she likes shoes and pocket books so it is a trade off.

A friend of mind took to hiding new bows in travel tubes to keep them from his wife since she knew how many he had on his bow rack, I think around 10. Well one day she found them in the tube and got pissed and through out the tube bows and all....man I wish I wasa kid garbage picking that day.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline brinkwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
Kajon, how long you been married? I learned many years ago to:

1.don't ever let her know about any money you have put away to buy new toys

2.don't let her know what you have ordered - sneak it in the house

3. pray you don't get caught...

4. If you do get caught, remember it is easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission

5. no, it really doesn't work that well at my house, either.

6.you probably should have let her beat you in the back yard game.
That doesn't work if UPS delivers late in the evening. I beat my wife home the day my new BW PLX Tulipwood arrived and had here go shopping,tan and even pic-up dinner and UPS still delivered it after she got home. The door rang and she answered the door with me. Now I luv my new bow and she luvs her new living room decorations she got the next day. Oh well maybe next year if a bow catches my fancy......

Offline brinkwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mint:
I got married 3 years ago, my anniversary was yesterday. The year I was getting married I hunted hogs in Fl, turkey in Co and deer in Kansas just so she would know how serious I was about hunting. LOL  As all woman she likes shoes and pocket books so it is a trade off.

A friend of mind took to hiding new bows in travel tubes to keep them from his wife since she knew how many he had on his bow rack, I think around 10. Well one day she found them in the tube and got pissed and through out the tube bows and all....man I wish I wasa kid garbage picking that day.
Oh man, that would have sucked big time. Guess the wife buying stuff isn't so bad after all.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Terry,

Just tell her you are only spending a fraction of the money you saved by building the Deck yourself.

I tell my wife about my purchases but make hem sound as boring as possible and insert the price after i know she isn't listening. I record the conversation and bring it out if further questioning comes into play down the road.

Ok maybe I don't but I should. The telling the wife when she isn't listening doesn't work to my advantage. I only spend money I earn on the side anyhow. Recycling cans and picking up occasional side work.

I don't buy bows often.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Geez you guys! I ALWAYS have the last word with my wife Fang....Yes ma'am.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Bless you my son ,  :)  just there is  know heaven is there for you ..marco...")..
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©