3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TD- Actual Usage?  (Read 438 times)

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
TD- Actual Usage?
« on: July 15, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I'm leaning toward a takedown for my next bow, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary. I probably will never fly to hunt anywhere and don't foresee buying extra limbs of a different weight. I just like the idea of being able to break it down if need be.

my question is, aside from traveling, how often do you guys break down your bows for other reasons? Is my perceived need for one due to some imagined reason that will probably never happen?
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TD- Actual Usage?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Haven't broken my down in a year and a half. No problems with it.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
I put a bow on my motorcycle in Arizona and brought it back to Wyoming. A three piece take down made it easy.

Offline Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
The real world advantage of a three piece is being able to get different weight limbs for the same bow.  I rarely if ever take the limbs off my three piece.  I also had a bow that had to have the limbs replaced twice!  The bowyer was probably glad he only had to build limbs and not the whole bow.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I have and use a three piece Predator recurve.  The handle is pretty substantial (weight) and I like that.  Also I have two sets of limbs.  I have not made use of the break down aspect for travel to a hunting spot yet, but I can if I need to some day.
ChuckC

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
I take mine down every once in a while depending on if I'm going on a distant shoot where I'll be driving with my daughter or the rest of my family.
It's nice when I can have the whole package tucked in a spot in my truck & not have to worry about my or my daughter's bow getting damaged during the trip & a less noticable package for when we stop at a resturant or something.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
It does come in handy for traveling, or in case of needing lighter limbs for form training or injury.
Marco

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
I haven't broken down my two recurve bows since I assembled them. One is two years old and the other is sevem months old.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Mack_S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
I take mine down (most) every day.  I'm lucky enough to live just around the corner from my local range where I can shoot every day.  I ride my bicycle to the range and it is much easier to stick it in the pack with the arrows for the ride there and back.  I also leave it taken down as it's easier to store in a small condo.

-Mack
-Mack

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
I have a few T/D bows, but I don't break them down. However, I'm on a trip right now, and decided to take a bow. Guess what? I broke down one of my longbows for travelling.

Handy, but not absolutely necssary.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
I have taken mine down a couple of times, once to put the snakeskin limbsations on, and the first time was just to do it, no reason.  I just like the option of being able to if necessary.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
I almost never took apart my t.d. bows, even when travelling.  The only benefit, to me, was that the t.d. risers added extra weight and I shot better 3-D scores with the t.d.'s.  
All my t.d.'s are gone now and I only see 1-piece bows in my future.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
If your bowyer offers longbow and recurve limbs it is easy to switch. If your bower develops a new design, it is easy in many cases to buy the new design. They are easy to ship when you decide to get another bow.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
I've only taken mine down a couple times in the past 10 years.
tb
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
I have 8 TD recurves, 1, 1-piece, and a 1-piece longbow (collector's piece). I have another 1-piece on order and a TD on order. I almost never take a TD apart. However, when I do take one apart it is to switch out limbs or to travel by air.  Interestingly, the last time I flew with a TD the airlines required me to put the limbs in my checked bags and riser in my carry-on -- they didn't want the complete bow in one set of bags -- WEIRD! This happened because I told them I had the TD in my checked bag. I am atracted to 1-piece because of the overall smooth appearance. I'm attracted to TD for the portability, limb switching capabibility and for the bit of extra mass weight of the bow.  If I could own only one it would definitely be a TD.

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
After a hunt in a rain,(and I like to hunt in the rain) I like to take mine apart and get the limb pads dry. I don't like to think about any moisture getting up in the limb pin alignment holes. But thats just me.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
RRock is sure right. If my TD gets wet I definitely take it apart and dry it and then let it air our a while. For the record, I don't hunt in the rain if I can help it. Wow, we could get a thread going about that subject (bowhunting in the rain)I think. I wouldn't start it though because I wouldn't want to test the sensibilities of the polite folks on this site!

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
I use the takedown bow more than anything else. Often I hike several miles before arriving in my hunting areas. The takedown fits in the pack quite well.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
I currently have 5 bows on the rack. 4 of them are takedown's (and two takedowns on order), 1 one-piece longbow. Elmer Patton was kind enough to build me a set of recurve limbs for my Blackfeather and I have had it apart to switch the limbs back and forth. The rest of my take-downs haven't been taken apart since I received them and put them together.......'cept for drying them out when I've been hunting or shooting them out in the rain.

Like other people have already mentioned, the "pro's" for me are that......I can buy another set of limbs (lighter or heavier).....I like the weight/mass of a take-down riser better.......and if I'm traveling it is very easy to just take them apart and pack them safely away in my things.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
I am kind of with BrownDogOwner, while I don't own a take down longbow at the moment, we have some early buck hunts in the high mountains and I would rather not have my bow in hand for that hike.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©