3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TD- Actual Usage?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TD- Actual Usage?
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I'd like to clarify that I prefer the 2 piece sleeve takedown system over the 3 piece.

It goes together much quicker. A lot of times I scan the country with binoculars and do not put my bow together until I am ready for a stalk. Last summer I took the 3 piece in and it took about 5 minutes to assemble it while a grouse was on the trail. Lucky for me the grouse stayed around. Had that been another critter it might have cost me a chance.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
If you have to travel to hunt just one time it will be worth having one.Damaged nice one piece bow on a bear hunt packed in the back of pickup.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline OVERDRAWING

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
I have a long bow that is one piece and a vintage recurve that is one piece. Everything else I have is a takedown. I don't dis-assemble them very often, only to change to a set of limbs of different poundage and to dry everything out after a rainy day afield. I guess I have always felt that it was less expensive to replace a set of limbs than it would be to replace an entire bow.
Kevin Sorensen

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I have 3 and 2 are always broken down, I leave the one I am shooting at the time together and the rest are in cases. One advantage is when you are convincing the wife you need a new bow she has not been seeing all your other ones all the time.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
As of now I have two one piece bows and five TD's with two more on order. I very rarely ever take them apart. By the same token I don't have much of a drive to my club or stand.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Thanks for all the good info guys!!
I can't argue with all the reasons to have a takedown. My only reason to have a one-piece is purely aesthetic. TD here I come!

I also may have to sneak it into the house, one piece at a time.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Nice to have for ease of travel, but if you never fly you might not ever break it down. All depends on bow length and travel restrictions, vehicle size, etc. With that said, the additional mass in the riser is a plus for me when shooting my HH "Red Man" TD. Just my opinion, but if aesthetic's are important to you, and they are to me, I would recommend two piece TD longbows over three piece. Good luck and "Keep'Um Sharp".

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
only take mine down for fly-out hunts, which is a prime reason for a t/d bow in the first place.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Your question made me think about this a bit. I've never had any trouble w/ TDs and have nothing against them.  But, of the 12-15 TDs I've owned I think the only time I've ever taken them down is when they're sold. I pack 'em up and send 'em off in the mail to the next shooter.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
They are much easier to pack in a more standard size box and cheaper to ship when you sell or trade them. Judging by how much those things move around here some times I think that just has to be a consideration.  :D
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
I usually hunt strictly with takedowns, however, I don't own other sets of limbs for any of them.  I don't take it down much but when you have to hike a longway, prior to opening day, it's nice to throw it in a pack or if I'm ridding my ponies I've been taking it down.  It's difficult to ride and lead a packstring while holding a 62" bow.  Hope this helps.

Offline gilf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
I take mine down every time I have finished using it, but that's just for practical reasons. It fits in the trunk of my car out of site and I can then go off and do other stuff. At home it stays in the case nice and compact.

However I shoot once a week, I'm shooting in a week long 3D competition in August and it will stay up for the duration.

Having said all that the primary reason for Takedowns for me is living in the UK, getting a 1pc bow shipped over is seriously expensive. I'd personally love to shoot more 1pc bows but it adds $400 on the price for various reasons.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
Almost never take mine down.  I only keep a couple for tiomes I may "need" them for travel to a hunt--that happened one time even.  :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
After twenty years, I finally took my Bear apart to install new, lighter weight, Rose Oak limbs on it. Now, it’s like owning a new bow.

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
I have a bob lee take down and love it. Though I have never really had the need to break it down for a long distance hunt, I have taken it apart for short trips where I know I will have the ability to stay up on my practice. It makes traveling with it more simple.

mh

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Travel is the obvious answer for most of us. The other time I have found it to be helpful is when you have to leave your baby in a hot car or truck. Being able to break it down reduces the risk of damage to it.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
I have a number of TD recurves, all 3 piece, and I take them down quite a bit.

Transporting to and from hunting spot, long trips, after getting wet, and to switch limbs.

I have several sets of limbs that I change between a few of my bows and like that option.

It is nice to be able to have your bow in your vehicle without everyone in the parking lot knowing you have your bow in your vehicle.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
I love all the feature of the TDs:more mass,capability to have more set of limbs,if a limb brakes you don't have to spend for a full bow,hunting the steep mountains where I live you can climb with both of your hands free with the bow in the backpack,when stored in the car nobody know what you have and for last easy to carry on the planes on my trips oversea.i love to have one everyday on my car also if I go to the sea.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline harvestmoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Seems to me the way you described yourself, a TD would be like having an insurance policy for the unforseen.
If you think if it will be your Go To bow, then the insurance is worth it if you can spring for the additional $.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
The only time that I take mine down is to sneak them into the house upon purchase!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©