3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is rangefinder a dirty word?  (Read 379 times)

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
Is rangefinder a dirty word?
« on: July 15, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
This will be my first season hunting trad, so forgive me if rangefinder is a dirty word here.  I'm a decent judge of distance,, but I'm new to this and really don't want to wound an Elk because of my inexperience.  I'm pretty comfortable shooting out to 25yds but we all know how distance changes out in the field, and I'm worried that I might be off by 5-10 yards in my guessing and wound an animal.  I'm currently looking online but would rather purchase one on tradgang, and I noticed that there are not allowed to be sold.  Again, forgive me if this is the equivalent of soliciting a prostitute in church.. but for my first season I think I might need one,, a rangefinder not a prostitute    :)  
Give me your take, and if you know a good place to get one used and cheap (again, only rangefinders please).
Thanks
Josh
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
It is the courage to continue that counts"
Churchill

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is rangefinder a dirty word?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
i use one alot. you never can be too prepared. i just have a simple bushnell yardage pro. but i had to buy mine at a local shop....dont think you'll see them on here. either way you are taking a good step in ensuring the most humane kill on the game your after.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
yes. . .

OK just teasing

You know. .  many folks worry too much about what is trad and what is bad.  Play the game and get used to what you are doing.  If you think you need a rangefinder, well, get one and use it for a bit.  Terry's rules I guess are that you can't sell one here.  His game, his rules, we are guests.

If you are truly gonna keep your shots tight,  like 20-25 yards or less, you will find that after not so long, you won't mistake by so much that it matters.  Then start leaving it at home or give it to one of your buddies that needs it.

I have used one before and I personally think that by the time I use it the deer is already gone.

I personally advise you to put that money into arrows and just go stump shooting a bunch before season.  Before you know it, you  "won't need no stinkin rangefinder" !

Later
ChuckC

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
hey  josh if you think you are going to miss or wound get closer ya dont need a range finder unless ya use a wheel bow.  :biglaugh:    :archer2:    :archer2:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Shooting instinctively, you really do not need to worry about yard like you would with a compound that has sights.  If 25 yds and under is your max comfort zone shoot at that distance so you brain does all the calculations.  One good practice method is to get the yardage out of your mind and walk up and down from your target and randomly shoot.  Only shoot one arrow at each area then move to a different location.  After awhile, it will become automatic.  Also, take a walk in the woods with your bow and stump shoot at anything that looks interesting...a pine cone, stump, clod of dirt what ever.  Doing this will in grain those distance into the computer and before you know it it becomes second nature.  Just like throwing a baseball.

Mike

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
In my opinion, if you use a range finder you will be missing out on one of the greatest advantages as well as a major point of traditional bowhunting.

Give yourself the chance to learn! Stump shoot! Hunt small game!
Limit yourself to very close shots during your first season!

You will not regret it.

I have never used a range finder and I never will.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
If it makes you feel more comfortable go ahead and get one. I would bet you can find a used one fairly cheap. Don't worry about what other people think, if you think it will help make a clean shot on a animal it's worth having. I don't use one but I can't see where it's any less traditional than talking and learning about trad stuff on the computer. Use it as a learning aid and then you can get rid of it.

Offline jason1040

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Great decision to switch over to traditional this year! When I shot wheels I shot instinctively then so I have never used a range finder. If you feel like packing one with you this year then do it.

Like ChuckC said, stump shooting is probably the best thing that any of us can do to help us for shooting at game. I always pack a judo or two with me when elk hunting. On the hike back to the truck me and my uncle make it a competition and shoot our way out of the woods. This has helped us a lot and is a bunch of fun.

Good luck this September.
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Offline 4Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Confidence in your shot is the key!  You shouldn't let go of the string unless you feel certain you are going to hit what you are aiming at. I get my confidence by carrying two carbon (not wood or aluminum) arrows with big rubber blunts, that I have ground to somewhat of a point, (a big ole fat rubber blunt changes your sight picture too much from a broadhead) and constantly shooting during my elk hunts.  If you feel you need the range finder to ensure confidence then by all means use one.  I would suggest borrowing one and go roving.  Shoot one arrow without the range finder and then use the range finder for a repeat shot.  I think you will find the range finder unnecessary in short order for 25 yds and less.  Knowing your point on impact distance has always been a usefull reference for me, but I use the end of my arrow as a reference in aiming.  I suspect you may also be using a reference for aiming if you think a range finder will improve your accuracy.  There is no right or wrong way, but having a known reference to get you focused in a pressure situation has always helped me.  I simplify it in three easy steps. # 1. Hit my anchor.  # 2. Bear down & dial in the sight picture # 3. Let 'r rip
Happy Hunting

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Buy what you want. Do what you want.
Doesn't get more traditional than that.
If you're worried about what people think keep it under your hat.

I guess rangefinders are a no no on this site.
They are fine in my book. Darn good tool sometimes.
Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. lol    :rolleyes:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
You do what you have to in order to feel comfortable and confident.

Do yourself a favor though and try not to get stuck to it or crippled by it.

I know some people who "believe" that they cannot shoot without first ranging the intended target. NOTE: most of these people dont get many animals of win many shoots.

Learn your bow and you for the best results.

There are some gap or split vision shooters that do well with them thoough.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
An extremely valuable tool.  I have been in a lot of situations and terrain both hunting and 3D shooting where my subconcious has been completely deceived.  

There are optical illusions that can completely throw the shot off.  If I have to opportunity to add that little bit of information into the equation, I will do it every time.  

Shooting split-vision, I may get more benefit from knowing the range than someone that truly shoots instinctive.  But if anyone is going to shoot from 25-40 yards, there are definate benefits from knowing the range.

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the input.  At a 3d shoot a few weeks ago I was shooting at an Elk target and between me and the target was a dip in the terrain that you couldn't see until you walked up to it. When taking the shot It looked like 25 yards, and all of the other shooters also thought it was 25. Add 10.  If it were a real elk 5 of 6 six guys who have been doing this for a long time would have wounded the elk.  This was the shot that made me think it might not be a bad idea.  I wouldn't use the rangefinder very much, but in certain difficult situations to judge I thought it might not be a bad idea.  
Thanks for the tips on practicing, I'm pretty much doing all I can to get ready.  Also, I'm shooting "instinctive"
I can't tell you where, but the last few years I've been hunting a monster elk with a compound. (Ok its in Idaho). I think the mojo of switching to a stick should bring him down this year,, just not sure if a rangefinder would decrease my mojo. :)
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
Churchill

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
oxnam, you posted what I was thinking while I was writing.. he's a witch burn him.
thanks
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
Churchill

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Mojo is yours my friend and yours alone. Nothing can take it from you unless you let it.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
What you experienced is exactly why a range finder is beneficial.  Most of the guys that took that shot were seeing the same thing.  Use it when you can but don't screw up a close encounter reaching for the rangefinder instead of the string.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
No one has ever accused me of being a witch but don't make me start casting spells around here    ;)  
Where are you at in Idaho?

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
I have three new trad shooters on a steep learning curve.  I gave them my old Bushnell rangefinder with the following instructions.  Take it stump shooting.  Look at the stump and shoot it instinctive.  Then range the stump, pine cone, etc.....  This will help you understand what 10, 20, and 30 yards look like in varied field conditions.  Once you get comfortable with those distances put the rangefinder away and just shoot.

They can be an invaluable tool or they can be a crutch.  Which one it is for you is totally up to you and how you use it.

If you feel you need one then use one.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Thanks again folks
Oxnam, I'm in Boise, and I hunt up near council. How bout you? I just checked out your new site, can't say I'm ready to shoot birds yet but sounds like fun. Is it hard to use a rangefinder on birds.. just kidding.
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
Churchill

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
Throw it away 95% of the time elk hunting things happen to fast you will never get a chance to use it unless you water hole hunt which I wont . I have seen guys try to use them elk was at 35yd by the time he gets his arrow nocked and bow up the elk is at 20yd
The older I get the better I was

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©