3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: rafts for a float hunt?  (Read 213 times)

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
rafts for a float hunt?
« on: July 15, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
I'm a canoe and kayak guy, but am planning a fly-in float trip next fall, and it looks like a raft is the tool for the job. The biggest water is Class 3, but i am planning on being out for 21 days, and it seems like a raft is the way to go.

Any advice on sizes, brands, etc. from either float hunt experienced tradgangers, or any whitewater rafters would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: rafts for a float hunt?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I was recently checking out several web sites for AK hunting and both had some great info on rafts for float hunts.  Doesn't seem right to post those web sites here, but you can PM me for them.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
If your hunting Alaska I believe some places up there will rent you a good raft and even deliver and pick it up. Might cost less than buying and shipping your own.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Or, check out the SOAR inflatable canoes

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
14 ft. Maravia would be my choice. I'd look into renting one up there. Probably have a shuttle service for you too.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
My suggestions are either Maravia or Aire. They both have a flat self bailing floor. The advantage of a flat floor is they are easier to stand on. They are in general much stiffer than a tube design self bail floor. Both brands are excellent designs. I  like the aire because the tubes are within a skin and can take a lot of abrasion and are easy to patch. Maravia's can be fussy to patch but not a deal breaker by any means- great boats. Aires pack smaller.

Look at the oar frames available. You will need a break down model. I prefer those with the cooler as your seat, a removed thwart up front into which sits the big dry box or several rocket boxes that sit front to back hanging off their handles.

Choose your length based on the water- if its a tight narrow river that has large rocks etc I would stay under 14 feet (and re-reading your post FLY IN) no longer than 14. (13') Then you can eddy out and cast/shoot into tighter spots. Its always a trade off the larger the boat in regards to manuverabilty(sp) so balance what you need in carry capacity/room and the boats ability to hunt/fish the water.
I could go on and on, but for two to three people a 14 will carry everything you need no prob so capacity is not an issue. Space and quickness are.

PM me if you want I  have a lot of experience in how to organize the meals and pack them in a way that works and is easy to use, or how to have ice cream on the last day of seven when its been 95* every day.
Oh, and make sure the boat comes with a great repair kit and you know how to use it. If you get a hole it will happen when its not easy to repair, like when the boat is fully loaded. Often you must empty it, or and get it away from the water several yards for the glues to cure correctly.

Joshua

A 13'- 6" boat weights about 110lbs. If you choose a boat that big you will need an oar frame, 3 oars, the repair kit, a basic pull it off the rocks kit ( 150 feet of static 7/16ths, some carabiners and prusiks and  enough webbing to rig it for a flip and keep your gear in. Always rig for a flip.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
well depending on the water.....

Smaller rivers I'd echo Steve's soar 16 or pro pioneer recommendation (especially if you can find a rowing frame for it!!!!).

On bigger waters on an extended hunt like you're doing, I'd opt for a cat. or round raft, me personally opting for the cat.

Round rafts are nice, if they have the tunnel hull design.  They maneuver much gooder.  Dont plan on standing on these floors without fear of tearing them out.  Any weight on the floor gives you the same risks.  Hence the reason most round raft moose hunters have nets to hold gear off the floor.  Weight on the floor and the floor hitting something or rubbing on something can make every round raft into a self bailing round raft LOL

I have 0 self bailer experience other then they are heavy LOL!

I own a 16' Aire Jaguarundi and have fished it pretty hard since 2001.  The frame is a custom break down frame.  I have it inflated and ready to fish right now.  The only difference for a hunt would be I'd take the wood front deck off and run the construction style mesh on the front as I have the back.   I'll get some pics later on today and try to get them posted before work this evening if you'd like them (yup I'm playing a little hookie at work right now LOL).

Cats are a little more weight concious.  Where you put it effects how it rows more so then with a regular round raft.  I'm sure the tunnel hulled round rafts are similar in weight distribution issues like my cat.  And the more weight you have, the more she squats and starts rowing like a round raft.   They are sports cars on the water loaded fairly light.   And still row fully loaded as good as any round raft I've been in and better then Steve's soar without a rowing frame (no offense Steve they definatly have their place!).

My concern about going TOOOO small is...

-How many people are going
-how many moose are you trying to shoot
-how much gear do you have
-and what is your weight restrictions.

The 2nd one is a variable the group needs to figure out.  Obviously weight is an issue!

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Make sure it comes with a good repair kit and an extra oar!

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the info. Joshua, you'll have a PM heading your way shortly.

Dan, it'll be two people, ultra-light gear (i'm a gear junky and have enough "stuff" to outfit a combat brigade), with an  850lb restriction on the flight in.

Moose? No moose. I can shoot  a moose with a lot less work. This is a chance to float into a pristine spot for Stone's sheep and caribou, with a chance at a goat as well. That makes the float out weight even more manageable.

Any other suggestions, keep 'em coming...
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
Dry bags? We always make up our meals (spaghetti, etc) and freeze them in gal. freezer bags. Line them up in a cooler and pull one out, drop in boiling water, dinner!  Easy clean up.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Daz-That is one heck of a trip you're planning!  Hope it comes together and don't forget to take lots of photos!  Good luck!  :campfire:     :coffee:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©