3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunting arrow set up?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline TRACY F

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey hunting arrow set up?
« on: January 09, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
I am looking to tap into the vast knowledge of Tradgang members that turkey hunt with bow and arrow. What is the best set up for turkeys when choosing broadhead type and with or without any stopper behind it? I have read in the various magazines and books where some people would prefer the arrow to stay in the bird and others that would not. I plan on hunting with my selfbow this spring using a sharp two-blade on cedar. Thanks for any and all feedback, Tracy

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunting arrow set up?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Use the same arrow/broadhead combination that you would use for deer hunting. (no stopper)

Some of "The Gang" prefer a BIG 3 blade Snuffer broadhead.

A string tracker is highly advisable.

A good strong pair of legs to run them down after you hit them!!!!!    :thumbsup:

Good Luck!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
I have taken several birds with my recurve and learned the hard way on the 1st one to not use a stopper with trad bows.  The stopper stopped the broadhead much to quickly on that bird and I did not get enough penetration, although the shock of hitting him knocked him silly for a moment long enough to jump up and get another arrow in him.  I use a Muzzy 4bl 125gr head and in every situation the arrow was either halfway thru or hanging by the fletch on every bird I have shot with my recurves.  Good luck and remember to keep your shots low and back, just above and forward of the hips and he will go down quickly.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
I've had good results using both  snuffers and woodsman.  I've been using the woodsman last couple of years. Same setup I use for deer and hogs. Don't use any kind of stopper.  Mark's recommendation on shot placement is sound.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
I've used 5/16 two-blade Zwickey eskimos and Magnus with good results.  I think it's probably easier to pass through a deer than a turkey.  Much more likely to hit a large wing or leg bone on a turkey.  On a broadside shot, I once had a Magnus lodge in the breastbone of a nice tom.  Enough of the blade got inside the body cavity to slit the heart.  Only went 10 yards.  Had to eat the turkey before I could get my broadhead back.  For no particular reason, I'm going to give Woodsmens and perhaps 4-blade eskimos a try this year.

Offline The BushMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
While I don't want to hijack the thread, I think it is relevant to aske here about experiences with the string trackers.  Anyone?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
No stopper  needed,it's very hard to shoot thru a turkey....Big multi blade heads are best to maximize damage(I've killed a bunch with Snuffer 160's)....use a string tracker to help recovery with a less than perfect hit.....Mark's info on shot placement is right on!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
String trackers work great,use the 30# string,not the 17# that comes with the Game Tracker unit.

Won't effect arrow flight at turkey killin' range.

Use one,they work!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Where do you go about getting a string tracker, and do they mount to your bow, or what?
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline birddogdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Guru, How do those string trackers work?  I plan to use Sitka shafts from Alaska with Wooodsman broadheads.  Can't wait!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
Curt has as good a track record with turkeys as anyone I know, so when he talks I listen.

Maybe it's time to bring back your string tracker thread, bud.   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
I was giving this considerable thought the last couple days. Listening to more experience turkey bowhunters told me that lots of cutting surface was the most important thing...I was all set to use Woodsmans, but I was concerned about sharpening them. I now, some of you guys do great with them, I just can't get them sharp enough.

And then I discovered in my box an unopened pack of the Magnus I with bleeder blade slots....I use the big wide Magnus on deer as a 2 blade all the time.

I put some bleeders in, and WOW. Thats a big wide head with lots of cutting surface. That will be my choice this spring.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
Vapor 4000 with a 100 gr. brass insert and a 125 gr. Snuffer with a 25 gr. broadhead insert. I shoot 3, 5.5" gray, right wing, high back shield cuts. 55#@28" Widow PLII longbow. Still trying it without a blind, but I may go with the stringtracker this spring....where did I put the gadget adapter?   :knothead:  Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline TRACY F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the great info! I also want to thank Woodchucker and Guru for suggesting the string tracker idea. Mentally, it seems like a hindrance, but I will keep an open mind and experiment with it before season. Thanks again and good luck this spring to everyone!

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
String tracker works great on my bow. I used the gadget adapter and attached the string to the srrow like Guru recommended.

Flies just find out to 20 yards, past that I did not try.

This year I bought a Kodiak Super Mag and hope the shorter bow will help when using a natural blind.
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
Ive had good luck shooting them looking away.  And again a big snuffer fan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©