3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My latest DIY Bow hunting UL shelter  (Read 568 times)

Offline Hardcorehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My latest DIY Bow hunting UL shelter
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
Here are some pics of a huge front sun porch setup. This is where these hammock/tarp setups shine imo, especially in warm weather, over a tent. You can setup so many variations and the hammock can be used as a chair to sit in for eating or just sitting in.

UL DIY shelter/stove geek

Offline wbyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
Those whoopie slings look pretty slick. When you make them with para cord do you pull out the core strings?
~ SUA SPONTE ~

Offline Hardcorehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
Yes, you have to pull out the core strings when making them out of para cord. They are slick. I just ordered some 7/64 amsteel blue, and I am going to make all of my tarp tie outs out of it. It is rated for something like approx 1400 lbs.  It is superior to anything else. Knots will reduce the strength of rope by 60% from what I have read, so, whoopies and line splicing are superior to knots.

Offline wbyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
I used to tie a taut line hitch to secure and tighten tarp tie outs, but they are a real pain sometimes. Looks like I could just make a bunch of whoopie slings and never have to worry about tying difficult knots again... Could you thread your line through the tie out on your tarp before inserting back through the line to make the whoopie so it's sort of permanently attached to the tarp? Would it make sense to do it that way?
~ SUA SPONTE ~

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Sweet set-up!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
That's good if you have trees

I guess.   :biglaugh:    :laughing:    :dunno:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Hardcorehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
wbyrd, I leave the loop hitched to the tarp tie outs and that way they are ready to go. I do the same with my hammock whoopies also. This sets ups in a few minutes.

Offline wbyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Leaving the loop hitched to the tarp is exactly what I was thinking. I just made one up (without a tarp) using para cord, kind of difficult without some type of needle (used an alenwrench lol). But man these are really cool, I can definitely see using them for all kinds of stuff. Thanks for making this post!
~ SUA SPONTE ~

Offline Hardcorehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Get a blunt needle, darning needle with an eye, and I use a small pair of vice grips to secure the very tip of the needle once I come out where I want to in the rope. This makes it easy to make these whoopies. You need to pull out three strands near the end to to make a taper. Samson rope has a pdf on their website showing you how, and so does hammockforum.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©