3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2010 Bear ?'s  (Read 261 times)

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
2010 Bear ?'s
« on: July 16, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
I have all my bait ready, dog food, maple syrup, marshmallows, powdered sugar, meat scraps, grease, and bread! I will be heading to CO on an elk hunt that will push my normal bear season back 2 weeks! My setup for my elk hunt will be a #55@28" Montana longbow launching a 480gr Douglas Fir arrow tipped with a 160gr STOS head! They fly like darts, and the bow is whisper quiet with this setup! My main concern is using this setup for bear when i return, im sure its adequate but im worried about the possible lack of good blood on bear with the narrower(1 1/8")cut of the STOS! I can get 'em scary sharp, and im using them to maximize penetration on elk, but bear are a different critter! Most of my MN bear hunting buddies swear by big mean multiple blade heads like the Magnus Snuffer as they believe it makes for a better bloodtrail! Ive been shooting both heads, and the impact point is nearly identical! So what to do, my plan is to basically drive back from CO and go straight into bear mode?

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2010 Bear ?'s
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I'm sure the STOS broadhead will dispatch a bruin if you hit'em in the vitals!  :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
If it were me....since they fly the same, I'd just switch to the Snuffers for bear...good luck    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
I like STOS for moose. I like Snuffers for bears.

To be conservative, I will say that I have tracked at least 500 broadhead hit bears.

Not to be seen as a braggart, I will simply say that I can track bears.

To keep this a reasonable length... just keep away from his shoulder and use a three blade.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
Thats kinda what we always preach too, stay away from that shoulder!!! We crib our baits so we always have a quartering away shot thats between 12-15yds! We seem to get a better blood trail with 3 blade heads than we do with the 2 bladers, they just seem to clot the wound channel really fast with a 2 blade!

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Sounds good, and I forgot to wish you a great hunt.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Thanks for the info. I am considering a spring black bear hunt in Quebec and I will use a three blade broadheads if I go.  :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
No problem, i like to ask the community on here questions cuz there is always somebody with first hand knowledge! The Wensel Woodsman with a Woodie Weight added up front would be a true killer i think as its a little narrower cut than the Snuffer, and it would have loads of FOC!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©