3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I think I got infected...  (Read 376 times)

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
I think I got infected...
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
with bow fever. I went to Kittery Trading Post in Maine today to look at/for a bow for my son. We couldn't decide on which style, 'curve or longbow for him. But, now I got a itch for a longbow. There was a nice Black Widow, but it was lefty.
How do you guys choose a bow, there are so many styles that look good? BTW, I wasn't gonna buy it there, I just needed to hold them. lol.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I think I got infected...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Don't choose...get them ALL!  :bigsmyl:
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
just alternate longbow then crurve and start with one company and once you get em all move to the next company till ya got em all

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Oh, man, my wife's gonna kill me.    :bigsmyl:
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Wow, I almost went there tonight Brian, I live about 20 minutes from there........selection of trad stuff is limited but stilla lot of other things to browse through......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
you dont pick the bow it picks you!  :bigsmyl:
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Get what you can shoot accuratly.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Wow, that brings back great memories. Kittery was the first place we stopped when we got to Maine. Awesome store. We ended up buying a 16' glass canoe.
They were nice enough to keep it for us until we came back down past the store to pick it up. Talk about bringing a souvenir home.

Good Shooting,
                                      Craig

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
My number one criteria for choosing a bow is how the grip feels in your hand.  Choose one that feels like it was made just for you and you will never regret it.

Number two is hand shock: don't get one that will rattle your fillings out.  If you have those two perfect, you're going to love your bow.
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by s_mcflurry:
My number one criteria for choosing a bow is how the grip feels in your hand.  Choose one that feels like it was made just for you and you will never regret it.

Number two is hand shock: don't get one that will rattle your fillings out.  If you have those two perfect, you're going to love your bow.
There isn't much that I can add to that post.

The grip is "everything" to me and my ability to shoot it well depends "directly" on how my hand fits into it.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Winterhawk1960:

Originally posted by s_mcflurry:

There isn't much that I can add to that post.

The grip is "everything" to me and my ability to shoot it well depends "directly" on how my hand fits into it.

Winterhawk1960 [/b]
X3
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
you trade through bow after bow until you find what you like best! You will realize which bow is best after it has already been sold or traded, so the quest continues!!
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Teancum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
Yep. I've been feeling that way since I unloaded a Fred Anderson bow 16 years ago.

Originally posted by smokin feathers:
you trade through bow after bow until you find what you like best! You will realize which bow is best after it has already been sold or traded, so the quest continues!!

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
I never liked the looks of bows with finger grooves on the grip. That all changed when a guy brought a Morrison Cougar to my shop. The minute I picked it up my thoughts on that changed. I now own that bow and love it.

I gotta agree with the others on the grip and no hand shock.
Jim

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Ah...Kittery Trading Post.  That place is awesome!  I travel up that way quite often for work and after a long drive from PA, it's become a standard pit stop.  Almost bought an old Ben Pearson longbow from them once.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
Oh, yeah, we'll be stopping at Kittery in about six weeks on the up to hunt with Eldon Jandreau.  Of course, you gotta have lunch at the Weathervane right across the street.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©