3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buy my bow for me  (Read 1002 times)

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Buy my bow for me
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
Ok guys, I think I've got a new one here.

I'm the kind of guy that will neither want, or be able to afford, a dozen bows. Two is it. I have a Lost Creek longbow that I love, but I'm looking for a take down recurve (3 piece) as my one other bow, and that's it. Here's your chance to really make your opinion heard.

I've done my research, on the 'net in general, and especially on this site with the search function (btw, the best ever functionally- thanks Terry)- and I just can't decide. So you decide for me.

So, I'm asking you to tell me what bow to buy... and I will. I'll compile the stats of your responses, within my narrowed-down choices, and either purchase the bow outright or get on the waiting list with a deposit. I will post a complete review with pics when I have it in hand.

I'm only doing this because there are so many great bowyers to choose from, and because I trust the judgement of all you fellas on this site that I have never met, but feel that I know and would love to share a fire with. Silly huh? Not to me. Serious business. I will suspend judgement until Mudd gets back from his trip 'cause I gotta have his input as well. I'm not in a position to shoot a demo of each bow, hence my post.

Here are your choices, within my specs, which are:
Recurve bow, 3 piece take down.
58-62 inch AMO
45-50 lbs draw
Best grip you have ever laid a hand on.

1. Lost Creek- if Chad ever builds a 3 piece bow.
2. Black Widow- PSA or PCH
3. Tall Tines
4. Silver Tip
5. Zipper

My hard-earned money and the future lifespan of the elk in Colorado are on the line here, so please give it some thought.

Thanks in advance for your consideration, and happy fires.

KC       :)
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buy my bow for me
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
If you want the best grip you need to add the Blacktail .... but bows are personal and really you need to shoot them all and decide on your own....  best of luck, you have some great bows to choose from !
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
This really is a bad question...you must try them yourself.  Don't be in a rush.  Like you, I have the longbow I like. I spent many years looking for THAT recurve.  

Now your first two answers are completely opposite.  The grip on my Blacktail was one of the worst of any bow I tried.  I love the looks of the Widows, but hate the grip.  The ST and TT have the fit I like.  The TallTines has an added locator on the back of the bow that I fell in love with the first time I picked one up.  Haven't tried the newer Zippers.

Take your time and find the right one for YOU!

Online 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
I'd put Dale Dye's bows on your list also.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 01:47:00 AM »
As far as grip I would have to say the schafer has the best grip but a blackwidow grip is made for accurate shooting and I do hands down shoot my widow better then my Schafer for now. They are both smooooth and a pleasure to shoot but if I had to pick one on accuracy of shooting it would have to be my beloved widow SAX.    Widow

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 03:05:00 AM »
I have several recurves [you can see a list of part of them in my post here]....about all are 3 pc. T/D's...I have owned or still own all on your list but the Tall Tines and Lost Creek so can't give an opinion on either....

I can however, tell you that after spending alot of cash and trading several thousand dollars worth of bows [mostly with guys here on TG] the Silvertip is the one on "your list" I would suggest... In fact I have 3 of them.

However, when I picked up and shot my first Kempf "Qwyw Styk", with my shootin style, I found it to be the very most accurate bow I have ever shot.... Jack Kempf makes an  excellent grip, fast, and stable bow that gave me a 20yd 3-4" group [in the center I may add] with the first three arrows I shot thru it..... I wish I had found these years ago..... I would have way less bows and have had the $$$ to do a lot more hunting...

One more to throw into the mix, is a 3 piece built by Bob Morrison... I have one of each of his models... They are all truley excellent.  However, I'm going to say IMO, his wood riser Mini 14 [actually a 13" riser] is the one I prefer at this time... Bob's bows are faster than any of the ones I have experienced, that are on your list. He can custom make any grip you prefer.  You will not find better crafstman ship or a guy who has put more research  into the design of his bows.  He brings out the best possible performance, while still being smooth, foregiving, and very pleasing to the eye....

Gene  :archer2:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 05:40:00 AM »
I have owned a Widow, Zipper and now 2 silvertips. The silvertip with a  checkered Grip is without a doubt the best grip there is .

Lost Creek doesn't make a 3 peice so tall tines or a Schafer.

Schafer has been in business for years so hands down a Schafer.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 05:41:00 AM »
Blacktail or Silvertip gets my vote.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
And to add to the confusion... Border Black Douglas. I had a silvertip and it was a sweet ,sweet bow. But the grip didn't fit me at all... The Border Black douglas, to me, is everything a tip is but just a bit smoother and the grip is just about perfect. again. imho.....
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
Get an ILF   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
You should for sure try before you buy as what's best for me may not suit you at all.

Saying this, I would add the Great Plains SR Swift to the try list.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
HABU VYPERKAHN!!!!! w/ the triple carbon hycurve or longbow limbs.You get the shootability of the Widows and the grip of the newer Zippers and Shafers w/ speed that is in the top of the class.I've owned the other 2 and some above mentioned and the Habu and Widow has been the most accurate shooting bow 4 me.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
I own a PSA X that i love with the low grip and i just ordered a PCH so i would go for the Widow.

Great customer service and you wany have to wait for a year. I think there wait is around 8-10 weeks.

I havn't shot some of the bows listed so i can only tell you what i know, those Widows are great.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
This started off with advice to "find your own best fit". And all the thoughtful posts since should tell you one thing... there is no one hands-down winner...just one that fits the hands of each person who's tried a bunch of bows over time.

It's personal. Individual...and going to larger shoots with a bunch of vendor/bowyers will help you find your next best fit without the tough road of spending and buy/selling tons of bows.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
Never fails, a guy narrows his choice and asks for opinions and gets all kinds of suggestions that are not on his list.  What gives with that?  Of those you listed, COlongbow, I would narrow it to Zipper or Silvertip, and I'd lean personally to the Zipper.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
I agree with Doc Nock. Go to as many shoots with as many vendors as possible, and try the different bows yourself. Only "you" can decide which bow is right for you. Your an individual and unless you are built "exactly" as someone else their opinion doesn't make it right for you.

If this truly will be the only other bow you will ever be buying, take the time and effort to get it right!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
Trusting the opinions of others to find the perfect bow is almost guaranteed that it will end up not being the perfect bow for you.  

Bows are very personal choices.  I know plenty of people that rave about one bow or another.  But when I pick them up and shoot them they don't do a thing for me.  

That is why there are so many great bowyers out there.  And each and every one of them builds bows that are perfect for some people.  But none of them build a bow that is perfect for everyone.  The only way you will ever find yours is to try them yourself.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Ha! With all the extra choices I'm back where I started. I know for sure the only way to find the right one is to shoot them all. Probably never get my hands on them, although I have shot Widows and they feel great. I was looking for the easy way out.
I definitely will find a way to shoot the winner before plopping down the greenbacks, don't want to make a big mistake. Thanks for the opinions guys, keep em coming!
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Take a little road trip to Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear in Denver.  They have enough up there to give you some good ideas.  They are a Trad Gang sponsor and all around great people to deal with from all the reports I've heard.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
I have an idea. Get in your truck and drive around to trad gang members that have them so you can shoot them all. As you pass through Kentucky stop by and shoot my TT. I'd also add a Morrison Cheyenne to your list.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©