3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still hunting?  (Read 457 times)

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
Still hunting?
« on: July 17, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
I bet you folks can help me. I have not done a lot of still hunting and am starting to look for boots/shoes. Most of what I like is only 4-6 inches high. If and when i need to cross water is there a good product to use in a pinch to stay dry? Im in north MO, temps from 15-45 most mornings. So I need to try to stay dry and still be quite. Any ideas on footware or another method for crossing small streams would be great. Thanks TERM
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Offline storm5

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still hunting?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
You should try something like this

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/sealskinz_gloves_socks.html

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
Or throw these in your pack...   Wiggy\\'s lightweight waders click here
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
TTT
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
I did a LOT of reading, looking for some great stalking boots that'd be:
1. Quiet
2. Keep my feet dry

I ended up going with the LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoe.  It comes in different heights (I ended up getting the 12", but they come in lower), but I did run into some strange size/fit issues.  Looks like I've got those figured out now and am waiting to get out with them hopefully this next week or so.

I did notice walking around my house that they are extremely quiet-can't even hear the heel strike on my hardwood floors.  A little leather conditioner/wax, etc keeps them good and waterproof.  The soles are made more flexible so they form to what you're walking over, so they seem to be quieter than thicker/heavier vibram type soles.  From what I understood while researching all of it, the thinner, more flexible sole is what gets you a quieter boot while stalking.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.  Some other guys on here (from AK) had these same boots and swore by them.  Good luck

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Gene Hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
That is why they call it still hunting.... cuz at the end of the season you are still hunting.  Spot and stalk is fine... but real still hunting is a long shot.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Yep !!! I'm "STILL HUNTING" after 40 plus years !
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Here in Arkansas I like to wear snake boots 14" to 16" high, in this state the watermoccasin is the state bird...they will keep you warm,,I use them in Colorado in high country...crossing streams blowdowns...gives good protection

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Goretex Socks.  Look them up on the web.  They work great and you can wear any boot you want.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
The Bean boots are my choice and can be had in 6/8/10/12/14". For stream crossing, maybe bare feet, although maybe dangerous and too cold. The slip over waders probably work, but what about a couple of trash bags, black taped at the top? Never tried it, just thought of it. I have the 12"ers and they suffice up here, but you like the shorties.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
I'll second the Bean boots. I bought a pair last fall after reading about them alot on here. It was first pair and I will just say I will never have any other boot on my feet in hunting season.

I can feel everything under my feet in those boots and they keep my feet dry.

They make several different models from insulated to uninsulated. mine are uninsulated and great for early bow season but I'm gonna get me some insulated ones for the late season.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
A third for the Beans. I've used them for many years.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Term,

First off, good for you for keeping up the still hunting.  Most guys nowadays have no idea how or why one would still hunt.  The exceptions are probably all on this site.  I love to still hunt and can easily spend hours and hours doing it in the right terrain.  As far as boots, I would agree with the Bean Maine Hunting Shoe.  I used to have the 14" and had them resoled once or twice over the years.  Mine were not insulated so my feet got cold sometimes.  I always figured if I was still hunting and my feet got cold I knew I was going slow enough.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gene Hall:
That is why they call it still hunting.... cuz at the end of the season you are still hunting.  Spot and stalk is fine... but real still hunting is a long shot.
Hilarious. Sill hunting has been productive for me. I guess it depends on how you go about it.

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
A good pair of gaitors will keep you dry if you're just hoppin' across a stream.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
I hear good things about muck boots

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
Muck boot are the best in my mind !!! Light and easy to put on and off
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline sputterman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Lacrosse burlys are awesome but make sure they fit good and snug. Their noisey if to big.
MEAT ON THE TABLE HORNS ON THE WALL!!!

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
mucks are very good for me.  i had a pair of hip waders made from a pair.  in the winter i can where them all day and not me sore.  but... i have never worn them in any rocky or mountain terrain.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
I have used heavy duty black garbage bags for years when its otherwise dry, as there is a  stream  [ sometimes small river depending on how much it's been raining ] I have to cross to get into one area I hunt blacktails and elk in...They work great, but can be a bit slippery on rocks.. Use care, and tuck them away at the crossing, and use them again on the way out.. If it's raining and wet, a pair of "Alfa Burley" Lacross boots are put into play for the day.

It's just as easy to put them in your pocket and carry to the next place they may be needed.    :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©