3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Installing double nocking points ?  (Read 459 times)

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
Installing double nocking points ?
« on: July 17, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I was wondering when installing the second metal nocking point on the string how snug should it be against my arrow nock ?
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Installing double nocking points ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I leave a little bit of space,about 1/16 0f in inch.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I wouldn't use metal, floss or serving string works better.  It gives.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
I used a couple strands of B-50 string material.  Works great.  I  1/16 or maybe a little less.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I'll answer the question instead of telling you to use a different nock point material.

Althought lots of guys don't like the brass ones they are the most durable, easy to adjust up or down, and the least likely to let you down when the shot is important.  Like the shot of a lifetime at a big elk or something like that.  They do wear out your glove or tab faster than floss does.

Draw your bow with the arrow on and take a look at it.  There shouldn't be any arrow pinch between the nock points.  I think 1/16 to 1/8 is about right but conditions may vary.

the chef

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I like the string nock points.Very easy to do .start with a clove hitch and wrap it around twice then a half hitch on one side then a few more wraps then a half hitch on the other side,end it with a square knot and wax it and trim an melt the ends. Or you can use this way from the How to section From Charlie Lamb.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000078
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by calgarychef:
I'll answer the question instead of telling you to use a different nock point material.

Althought lots of guys don't like the brass ones they are the most durable, easy to adjust up or down, and the least likely to let you down when the shot is important.  Like the shot of a lifetime at a big elk or something like that.  They do wear out your glove or tab faster than floss does.

Draw your bow with the arrow on and take a look at it.  There shouldn't be any arrow pinch between the nock points.  I think 1/16 to 1/8 is about right but conditions may vary.

the chef
Not sure if the durability of floss or B-50 is an issue if tied right.  I used them on my wheelie bow towards the end of my tenure in compound shooting and they never slipped or moved one bit.  Haven't failed on my recurve yet either.  

I didn't realize I would be upsetting the nocking point suggestion police.    :readit:
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
I use the metal ones also and a 1/16" gap seems to be about right for me as well.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I use the nock material that I feel like at the time. I'm not a machinist and not terribly anal either so I place the bottom nock with a gap that "looks" right to me. If I have flight problems or other issues I will make changes as needed. I use the brass nok sets lately because I've been working on a lot of bow and string set-ups and it saves me time. I'm lazy.  :knothead:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Two nock locators is a good idea. High speed photography (Olympic Archery) shows with only one locator the arrow nock may slide down the string upon release differently from shot to shot. There should be a tiny space below the nock and the lower locator otherwise the nock will be pinched (especially with shorter bows and longer draws) resulting in the arrow tending to come off the shelf. I tie (serving or string thead) two on every string. You can go to  www.archeryintheschools.org  to see instructions for tying on a nock locator if you need it. NASP doesn't allow brass locators because of instances, in other archery programs (4-H) where they have come off the string and caused eye injury. Too many millions of kids in NASP (7.1 million so far) to risk even the remote possibility of this happening.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
In case you don't want to check out the NASP website. If you want to tie one on without "serving" it on. Start with a surgeon's know at point where you want your nock locator. Then tie a half-hitch above (if top locator know and below if bottom locator)the surgeons and on the opposite of the string. Then tie another half-hitch above and opposite the last one. Alternatively tie 5-7 half-hitches above the first surgeon's knot. Then finish the locator with another surgeon's knot. Then burn (melt) the ends of the string and "mat" them down. Each know should be quite tite to imbed in the center serving.  Some folks put glue on this knot - -the string makers (BCY and Brownell) say the bowstring can break at this point if you put glue on the knot -- the glue makes the bowstring less pliable at that point.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Surgeon's knot (sorrow for typo "surgeon's know").  This knot is like the first knot you tie when tying your shoe -- before making the bow. But you go over and through twice instead of once. This prevents the knot from unraveling when you release tension on the tag ends.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Dumb me but what would be the purpose of double nocks on a traditional bow?
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
I like to use a metal nock on top and tie either dental floss or B50 string for the lower one.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
JamesV,

As Bowwild said in his first post, the nocking point has been photographed at high speed moving down the string upon release.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Winterhawk1960:
JamesV,

As Bowwild said in his first post, the nocking point has been photographed at high speed moving down the string upon release.

Winterhawk1960
With all due respect Winterhawk1960, the arrow nock is what moves down the string, not the nocking point.   ;)     :)    

Just wanted to clear that up to avoid confusion.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
ishoot4thrills,

Good catch !!!!! I think slower than I can type, I guess.    :banghead:      :banghead:      :banghead:  

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
Wow!! That's what I love about this site, you ask a question and you guy's answer the hell out of it. I like to read about the different ways guy's apply a second nock for themselves. I only have the brass nocks so I will install one tomorrow and I would like to try serving a nock of my own sometime too. I am going down to Denton Hill this Thrusday just to test shoot bows and will have to pick up some serving material.

Ipcjon2 & Bowwild- thanks for posting those site's, they are surely going to be helpful.

Thanks guy's!
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
I have singles on some bows and doubles on others; can't say I have noticed any different shooting characteristics.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
I'm sure most folks would be happy with a single nock locator. If the nocks are a bit tight or when a low spot is worn where the nock is constantly placed, I doubt if nock fall would happen upon release. However, I just realized another advantage of a nock locator above and below the arrow, especially if you shoot three-fingers-under like I do is you can keep that bottom finger from pressing into the nock causing the shaft to roll away from the side of the sight window.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©