3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Guys using the mini chopsaw on carbons..  (Read 258 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Guys using the mini chopsaw on carbons..
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
I'm using the HF mini chopsaw to cut some GT 7595s to length, and wanted to try a 3" disc as the metal one seems to be inadequate for carbon cutting. Oh well. Would a 2-3" cutting disc work in that saw? Some of you ingenious home arrow saw guys appear to be using a cutting disc transplanted into your HF mini chopsaw.

Is that a Home Depot item? I'd think it would be. I was planning on picking up a long metal ruler and aluminum angle stock plus a small C clamp and nock end holder of some sort, for an accurate square and level cutting setup.

See Ragnarok Forge's setup:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=086779;p=2
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Guys using the mini chopsaw on carbons..
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
When I bought mine HF had the cutting discs at the store for a buck a piece. They are 3" and you have to take the blade guard off to use them but they work fine. Just have to keep the fingers out of the way!

The clamp on the saw is good enough to get a pretty square cut. What little it lacks I can square up quickly with a piece of sand paper.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
That sounds like the ticket. My biggest ? is how to hold the nock securely and level, as above. I might drill a 5/16 hole into a block of wood and insert the nock.....

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
What I did with my HF mini saw setup is on the adjustable stop block.I took a chamfer bit and drilled a taper in it.I did this so I can rotate the shaft as I cut it and keep the nock end centered.The key to getting a square cut is being able to rotate the shaft as you cut it.I bring the saw blade just into the shaft and rotate with my other hand.If you look at a more expensive arrow saws that is how they cut arrows.They only have a portion the blade exposed,you put the arrow in the tapered hole of the stop block and bring the shaft into the blade and rotate it.It gives you a squarer cut this way.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
That looks like it would work fine. I'm not that fancy.  :D   I just measure the arrow with a yard stick. Mark it with a pencil and stick it in the clamp and cut it.. Seems to work good
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampdrummer:
That looks like it would work fine. I'm not that fancy.   :D    I just measure the arrow with a yard stick. Mark it with a pencil and stick it in the clamp and cut it.. Seems to work good
+1
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
I have the HF mini cutoff saw and had read that the abrasive wheel worked much better than the metal blade.  I never could find any local, even at the HF store or any of the home improvement stores smaller that 2 1/2".  David Sosa gave a place on-line to order the 2" abrasive cutoff wheels one time in a thread, but you had to order six at a time.  After giving up the local search, I just ordered the six pack.  Of course I can't remember now where that was I ordered from, but six is more than I will ever need, PM me you address and I will mail you out a couple of them on Monday if you want to give them a try.  Then you can leave the guard on and not over work that little motor with a wheel larger than it is made for.  I think they work great.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Missed this one! I bought an aluminum yardstick and a pack of the 3" abrasive wheels at HF this AM. They fit great. Went to Home Depot and grabbed the aluminum angle stock. I have a board picked out to mount everything to. I'm missing the adjustable stop block for the nock end. There's an **** seller with a really clean jig and this same mini miter saw setup but it's only 20 bucks cheaper than a real Apple arrow saw. Wouldn't a drilled block hold the nock end just fine? slot it to slide along the aluminum and clamp it with a c-clamp.

To account for the saw table width, your ruler needs to start at about 77mm or 3 inches or so? Where exactly did you guys cut the ruler that you mounted to take the saw table width into account?

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I want to get some of those 2" cutoff wheels if anyone can find the source.  My blade is getting dull and I don't want to use another like it.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
I took the guard off mine and put on the abrasive wheel. Works fine, but leaves a slight burr on the one side. That is easily taken off with a circular gringing stone (usually included with HIT inserts).

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
I bought the 3” abrasive wheel at HF for my mini cut off. I then took that wheel and put it in my hand grinder and had at a piece of scrap metal. In a very short time, I made a 2” wheel that was a perfect fit. No big deal, unless you don’t have a hand grinder. It wouldn’t be too hard to rig up an arbor to use in a hand drill and do the same thing. It would just take a little longer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©