3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: She's gonna blow!!!! Help!  (Read 414 times)

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
She's gonna blow!!!! Help!
« on: May 10, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
I've been shooting a mid 80s Kodiak TD and its been shooting fine, until tonight. I noticed a hairline "disturbance" in the finish that I had been keeping an eye on has turned into a separation between the glass back and wood lam on the fadeout of the upper limb. It hasn't failed catastrophcially yet, but it definately is worsening rapidly and looks to be a terminal separation. Its about a one inch separation big enough to get your fingernail into. At the moment it is confined to one side of the limb. It can be squeezed shut with pressure and closes when unstrung. Have you ever had this problem? Any thoughts on repairing it?

Steve

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: She's gonna blow!!!! Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
I'm not an expert, but needs to be repaired before you shoot it any more.  One way I've been able to work epoxy between glass and wood laminations is to get a syringe from the drug store.  (They look at you funny and you have to sign for them, at least in Wisconsin.) I mix the epoxy, get it in the syringe and squirt it between the glass/laminations.  Then I leave it seep further into the crack until the epoxy is just about ready to set up.  Then I clamp it.  Don't know how long it will hold.  I've only done it a few times, and so far all of the bows I've done it to have held up, one longbow more than 8 years now.  Good luck.

Offline warder1268

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
You might try mixing up your epoxy then using a hairdryer to force the air in.  I would do that while strung so that you can get some epoxy in, then unstring and clamp.  Use a very slow setting epoxy and don't over heat the limb and you will get plenty of glue in the joint.  Good luck.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
Thanks guys! Any suggestions what kind of epoxy?

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
I am going to offer this as a suggestion in case the glue joint fails after repair steve.You may want to wrap the area where the the damage is appearing with some strong thread after you reglue it.Or Dyneema fiber string or something simlilar.wrap it very tight and work some glue into the string.You can do the same thing to the other fadeout to keep it symetrical if you want.The wrap can be painted..might not look all that pretty but may save the bow and keep it shootable.I have seen this done on a bow or 2 to salvage it.Good luck

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
If it's a very thin crack line, thin super glue will really suck in & then clamp but fast.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
Thanks again fellas. I did a search of archives and CA super glue type seems to be the preference. Guess I'll give it a whirl in a week or so when I get back home.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Steve, Ask Rick Morton in our Tuckahoe club about some glue for this .He might have some (not sure) He helped Bruce with one that started delaminating and he may have something lives near the golf coarse near Denton Md. and if you need someone to ride with you going over his house let me know and I will be happy to show you where he lives.I have his home # if you need it.God Bless, Keefers <")))><

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©