3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Order of the Arrow  (Read 773 times)

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Order of the Arrow
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
Must have been 65 or 66 for me. Was one of the most memorable experiences of my youth; the night out alone, the work day creosoting buildings, the silent swim and the bonfire ceremony with the three shoulder slaps from the ceremonial chief.

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Man- no secrets!!!!

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
Woops!

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
That don't happen any more Bruce. It has been woosyfied. Too bad, that used to be real powerful ceremony.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Custer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
The Ordeal used to have some teeth to it.

Tapped out at the campfire, after dark. Walked for what seemed like miles and miles until you were lost and exhausted. You were then told to sleep on the ground without gear. Retrieved the next morning and you worked all day fixing up the camp. Little water and one P&J sandwich. Were not allowed to speak.

Then the ceremony that night.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Eagle Scout 1997

OA Brotherhood 1996

My name: Future dancer who flies among the eagles

Camp Tesomas, Rhinelander WI. Samoset Counsel.

I made eagle scout and was able to perform the flaming hoop dance the following year for the OA ceremony where I retired the hoop after turning 18.

I would say more but do not want to give to much away for our youth.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
Yep, a great thrill as I remember as a youth to be chosen and my ordeal was as Custer described it. I remember we hiked up a mountain (probably a hill but my memory says: "mountain!")    :D   in the dark for the ceremony at the end   and the Chief grabbed me and whispered:"(secret oath)-repeat it!" and I respond: "(secret oath)-repeat it!" And he snaps""what ar ya a wise guy?!" I was just nervous!    :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
life and brotherhood this is so fitting a friend of mine and i were justing telling stories a coffee yesterday about OA.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
OA-Brotherhood member....lead the N A dance team for years with my best friend Jerry who was a Vigil member and an Eagle Scout.

I was a Life, cause I was too fat to get through the Fitness merit badge.

Loved Scouts, Explorers, and the OA

"oh, Gitche Manitou, maker of the deer, the bear, and the bison..."
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline ilarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Yes I remember it well. I am a eagle scout, brotherhood of OA, earned the heroism award for saving my fathers life. I am now the cub master for my youngest sons cub scout pack.

Boy scouts open many doors for me when I was young. I learned many of the skills I use out hunting from boy scouts.

I am still a scout and will always be a scout. I glad my youngest loves it and we are enjoying the 100 year celibration(sp).
Brent Wolber
IBEP Instructor
I live for ARCHERY!

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
I am! Order of the Arrow. It's been many years ago, now. Got alot out of Scouting. Taught me a lot about camping and the outdoors and prepared me for bowhunting.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Eagle Scout and Brotherhood OA  mid 80s
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Custer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
The old story in case some have not see the version or not seen it in years:

The Legend of the Order of the Arrow

Long years ago, the Lenni Lenape tribe of the Delaware Indians inhabited the Delaware River Valley. They pursued the deer, bear, wildcat, and the panther. They hunted and fished. Their villages were numerous and powerful; their hunting parties strong. They tilled the fields as well as followed the chase. They were a peaceful people, never warring with other tribes unless first attacked. The smoke arose from their wigwams as they smoked their pipe of peace.

Many moons they lived in this happy state of blissful contentment. Springtime blossomed into summer, summer matured into autumn, and autumn faded into winter in what seemed a never-ending succession of seasons. A cloud arose on this peaceful scene, however. Neighboring tribes and distant enemies began to raid their hunting grounds. Then Chingachgook, the chief of the Lenni Lenape, made an inquiry: "Who will go to the villages of the Delaware and warn them of the danger that threatens?" but none wished to go. One said, "Let them look to themselves--we are happy here." Another said, "Why should we be concerned as long as we are safe?" But Uncas, his son, said, "My father, here I am, send me. All these villages are of our blood--the Lenni Lenape. What is danger to one is the affair of all. The need is urgent. They are six to our one, and if we are to survive as a nation, we must all stand by each other. Meanwhile let us both urge upon our kindred the necessity of unselfish devotion to each other and the cause in which we are enlisted, and as they get this higher vision, send them forth on their errand of cheerful service."

Then Chingachgook, the chief, and his son Uncas set to work. In every village were found some who were willing to give themselves cheerfully in the service of others. Their enemies were compelled to retire to their own borders, and when peace was declared between them, they who first went out cheerfully to serve their kindred were raised to places of high eminence in the tribe by the chief. He said, "The servant is the greatest of all." These men became so convinced of the truth of this saying that they besought the chief to perpetuate it in some manner.

Therefore, Chingachgook bound them together in a Brotherhood into which only those who can forget their own interests and advancement while looking out for those of their brothers may be admitted. These also must be recommended for membership by their associates.

So greatly did this Order aid and strengthen the Lenni Lenape that other tribes sought their help in forming similar lodges in their own tribes. In the spirit of service many such lodges were formed, and they were bound together into one great Brotherhood.  

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Yep, Eagle Scout and Brotherhood Order of the Arrow. Great times.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Eagle Scout and Brotherhood OA member too, Have 34 years membership this year plus my oldest son is an Eagle/OA member and my second 15 years old is working on his eagle right now.  Had many great times as an Order of the Arrow member and leader.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline laxbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
eagle scout in 2008

OA in 2006

Offline Wulomac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Scout as a boy, Scoutmaster for the last 23 years, Vigil Member; name: Wulamoc, he speaks truly; true.
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.  GEN-21:20

Offline Custer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Must be something about archery.

I have never been on a forum with so many Eagles.

Offline ballen28115

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
Tapped out at Camp Wabaunequat(sp?) in Minnesota, 1972.  My son is a Webelos I this year, aspires to Eagle.

Offline chadt1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
I'm a member of the ORDER OF THE ARROW. Troop 37 Carrsville Va. My son is just getting into scouts this year I can't wait to help out. He will have memories that will last him a life time.
Dixie Bowmen Archery Club Virginia Trophy Hunters
Blackwidow- PSAX Crossgrain 45@28
Fedora Xtrema- 45@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©