3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Left Helical Feathers in a Right Helical Jig  (Read 170 times)

Offline ewarshaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Left Helical Feathers in a Right Helical Jig
« on: July 18, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
Hi Folks,
I ended up with a great deal on some feathers but I didn't realize that they were left helical and I have a right helical Bitzinberger jig.  I fletched one arrow with three feathers and they seem to be holding, although I haven't shot the arrow yet to see how it will perform.  I suppose I could get a left jig feather clamp, but I didn't get enough feathers to justify doing that.
I read somewhere that you should never do this, but I did because I was curious to see how it would turn out. Could you give me your thoughts and experience on this? By the way, it is a wood arrow with a glue-on field point.
Thanks.
Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
-Genesis 27:3

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Left Helical Feathers in a Right Helical Jig
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Try it and see.  But the rule is left with left and right with right.  By the way, there is no such thing as a left helical feather just left or right WING feathers.  The fletching jig puts the feathers on with either a helical twist or a straight alignment.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
I've heard a lot of opinions on this, which makes me think that it doesn't matter.  Right-handed shooters, though, generally use right helical (but either right or left wing) on their arrows for shelf clearance.  The one sure way to find out is to fletch up a couple of arrows and fire away.  If you have the opportunity, fletch with right wings and compare.  I'm interested to find out the results actually.
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Topic should be in Pow Wow but the helical clamp follows the NATURAL curve of the feather so what you are doing is very unnatural and will give less than optimum performance and looks.  A straight clamp with a right offset would work and look just fine.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ewarshaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
Thanks.  I wasn't sure where to put this question.  I have several fletched with right wing feathers (although they're four on an arrow).  As soon as I get a chance to shoot it more than the 13 feet I have across my basement, I'll post a follow-up.
Thanks for the feedback.
Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
-Genesis 27:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©